Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: What percentage of your translation income goes to taxes?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
you have to compare translators with translators Mar 31, 2009

Williamson wrote:
You use two yardsticks : You quote the incomes of the people on the highest rung of the European Civil Service and compare those with the average Belgian wage-owner and freelancer. The highest tax percentage is applied to civil servants with a high income.
(http://ec.europa.eu/civil_service/docs/salary_officials_en.pdf)

FYI: translators and interpreters are A grade officials (since the reform AD), the highest there grade there is. So it's useless to compare an in-house translator or a freelancer with e.g. C grade officials (secretary level). Besides, B and C grade officials make considerably less than A officials. I'm comparing translators with translators and interpreters with interpreters.

I'm a successful candidate of the latest open competition of the EU institutions for Dutch. It's an excellent reference, but if they would recruit me, I wouldn't make more money than I do now as a full-time freelancer.

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 17:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks for clarifications on UK Mar 31, 2009

It seems that, as in the US, effective income tax rates are low, but so are pension services (government pension not enough to live on, need supplemental private pension) but at least in the UK you have better health care coverage.

Also like in the US, it seems property taxes, though they depend on the size/value of the house at local rates, they can take a big chunk of one's income.

I also did a quick search on property taxes in Spain and they do not seem to be too
... See more
It seems that, as in the US, effective income tax rates are low, but so are pension services (government pension not enough to live on, need supplemental private pension) but at least in the UK you have better health care coverage.

Also like in the US, it seems property taxes, though they depend on the size/value of the house at local rates, they can take a big chunk of one's income.

I also did a quick search on property taxes in Spain and they do not seem to be too cheap either.
Collapse

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Well... Mar 31, 2009

@Gianluca: I was probably also guilty of thinking in terms of VAT when I saw the percentages quoted in the thread. So be it, mea culpa.

Elsewhere in the thread, someone equated 0% taxation with black market translation. I happen to be one of the exceptions to that equation. When I re-entered the self-employment market, my intention was to continue providing services as a programmer/computer consultant, however, that didn't work out. So I took some time to consider what my alternativ
... See more
@Gianluca: I was probably also guilty of thinking in terms of VAT when I saw the percentages quoted in the thread. So be it, mea culpa.

Elsewhere in the thread, someone equated 0% taxation with black market translation. I happen to be one of the exceptions to that equation. When I re-entered the self-employment market, my intention was to continue providing services as a programmer/computer consultant, however, that didn't work out. So I took some time to consider what my alternative strengths might be, re-educate and re-start while still using the same company name. As it worked out, from 2003 to 2006 my income was either too low or was offset by expenses. End result: the income tax obligation was 0%.

I'm now waiting to see what the taxes for 2007 will be, once the consultant is satisfied with his work and files the paperwork. Optimistically, I've budgeted for 22% of net profit and planned pessimistically for 33%, plus the potential 6% late filing surcharge and additional payments into entitlement programs.

David.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Property taxes Mar 31, 2009

Latin_Hellas wrote:

Basically yes, with one clarification - it is not really a property tax. Property tax is payable by the property owner. The tax we have is payable by the person (people) living in the property. I have a large family and need a largish house, however I arrived in the UK when it was not possible any more to buy property if you were a first time buyer. So on top of my exorbitant rent I basically pay tax for my landlord's property as well.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Flemish to English
+ ...
Comparison at the same level. Apr 1, 2009

Michaël Temmerman wrote:

Williamson wrote:
You use two yardsticks : You quote the incomes of the people on the highest rung of the European Civil Service and compare those with the average Belgian wage-owner and freelancer. The highest tax percentage is applied to civil servants with a high income.
(http://ec.europa.eu/civil_service/docs/salary_officials_en.pdf)

FYI: translators and interpreters are A grade officials (since the reform AD), the highest there grade there is. So it's useless to compare an in-house translator or a freelancer with e.g. C grade officials (secretary level). Besides, B and C grade officials make considerably less than A officials. I'm comparing translators with translators and interpreters with interpreters.

I'm a successful candidate of the latest open competition of the EU institutions for Dutch. It's an excellent reference, but if they would recruit me, I wouldn't make more money than I do now as a full-time freelancer.

Which is exactly what I do:
If you compare the salary and tax-bracket of a beginning translator at a Belgian ministry, the income and taxes of a freelancer and the income and taxes of a beginning linguistic administrator (European Civil Servant at level AD05 (translator), who pays most taxes?
Does a beginning freelancer based in Belgium and subject to Belgian fiscal and social rules and regulations makes 50.000 euros per annum (more or less your net salary should you be hired)?

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-04-01 09:33 GMT]

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
no Apr 1, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Does a beginning freelancer based in Belgium and subject to Belgian fiscal and social rules and regulations makes 50.000 euros per annum (more or less your net salary should you be hired)?

50.000 euros per annum is more or less the gross salary of a beginning EU official, not the net salary.

Besides, we're talking about tax percentages and not so much about the amount one makes. After all, that's what the poll is about.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your translation income goes to taxes?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »