https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/132755-poll_when_was_the_first_time_you_heard_about_cat_tools.html

Poll: When was the first time you heard about CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 15, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When was the first time you heard about CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by M. Laut

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When was the first time you heard about CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by M. Laut

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to Swedish
1993... Apr 15, 2009

Worked with the DOS version of Trados at a translation agency for a while. Didn't like it much, and didn't buy the Windows version until around 1998.

Cecilia

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:21
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
April 2004 Apr 15, 2009

When I discovered a website called ProZ.com, exactly 5 years ago, I got to know that there were software tools for translations. Two months after that I was buying a CAT tool; and I haven't regretted it!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:21
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
early '90s Apr 15, 2009

I was working at a large translation company in Italy, and the original programmers for Trados came to give a demo of Trados (DOS version). We decided not to go for it, but then we were among the very earliest adopters of Deja Vu (I still have somewheer the originall install disk, with serial number 27, I think).

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:21
English to German
way back in 1990 Apr 15, 2009

When I went to the Frankfurt book fair (hm somehow that doesn't seem right but it's what I remember) for my then employer, a software house, I met up with the guys from Trados. Did you know Trados was a Stuttgart based company when they started out? We were looking for a CAT tool even then but never committed because the Trados guys were so incredibly full of themselves when I spoke to them.

Before that, as a student I worked with at termbase product under DOS, now if only I could r
... See more
When I went to the Frankfurt book fair (hm somehow that doesn't seem right but it's what I remember) for my then employer, a software house, I met up with the guys from Trados. Did you know Trados was a Stuttgart based company when they started out? We were looking for a CAT tool even then but never committed because the Trados guys were so incredibly full of themselves when I spoke to them.

Before that, as a student I worked with at termbase product under DOS, now if only I could remember its name. I think it was manufactured in either Belgium or Luxemburg, not quite CAT yet but a first step towards integrated term management.
Collapse

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
When I started thinking about freelancing Apr 15, 2009

For me it was in 2006, but it had more to do with my career path than anything else. It was at that point that I started looking into the possibility of freelancing as a translator. A kind friend with experience in translation gave me some advice and one of the things he mentioned were CAT tools. Before that, I had no idea that such useful translation tools existed.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 00:21
2002 Apr 15, 2009

That was when I started to explore the translation market. Many agencies sent me forms to fill in, and I came across these mysterious words like "CAT" and "Trados" on almost every form. Naive as I was, I consulted some German acquaintances; they had no idea either, what they could be.

At that time I falsely believed that only a "Trados" user can be a translaor. Today I think differently.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
1993 Apr 15, 2009

I was working inhouse in Switzerland and my boss adopted first Multiterm, then Workbench.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 22:10 GMT]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
1988 Apr 16, 2009

In a translation course, the distinction was made between "computer translation" and "computer-assisted" translation. My first actual experience was in 1992 - I was sometimes substituted in-house by a program that took more time to correct than to retranslate, as I was often out interpreting.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Early 1980s for CAT; 1979 for MT Apr 16, 2009

As chair of the ATA Committee on Computers and Translation in the early 1980s, I had a ring-side seat when the earliest versions were being developed and attended demonstrations of most of the pilot systems.

I have postedited machine translation on a regular basis for 30 years now, since 1979.

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:21
English to Russian
+ ...
In 1997 Apr 16, 2009

It was TRADOS...
BTW, the dongle licence (v1.5) still alive

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
2000, Trados 3 Apr 16, 2009

My third customer used Trados, so I bought it a few months after starting with them, as soon as a discount was offered on the Trados' site.
It was dauntingly expensive nevertheless, and back then I didn't know proz.com and its group buys...

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Early 1990's Apr 16, 2009

when I was freelancing for a translation agency. No discount-scheme back then.
A couple of years later, Trados introduced the discount scheme to sell its products to end-customers with the argument of cutting costs, which were reverted on the back of the translators.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-04-16 13:14 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
other Apr 16, 2009

can't remember...

Moshe Serfaty (X)
Moshe Serfaty (X)
Israel
Local time: 07:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
November 2371 May 16, 2009

When I was replaced by a computer....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When was the first time you heard about CAT tools?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »