https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/134396-poll_how_often_do_you_back_up_your_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How often do you back up your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you back up your work?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
Rarely and selectively (the most important info, spec. glossaries) May 6, 2009

A couple of times a year (irregularly). However, just the most important projects/files/deliverables, at the discretion of PMs, are backed up onto CD(s).

And that’s it. Specialized glossaries are being enlarged/refined, records updated etc. What is the point/purpose of backing up more often? For our tax inspector?

Everything is accessible and searchable in our local network anyway. On two servers. JIC
... See more
A couple of times a year (irregularly). However, just the most important projects/files/deliverables, at the discretion of PMs, are backed up onto CD(s).

And that’s it. Specialized glossaries are being enlarged/refined, records updated etc. What is the point/purpose of backing up more often? For our tax inspector?

Everything is accessible and searchable in our local network anyway. On two servers. JIC

The most important information is kept in brains anyway, and it is a pity that nowadays we still have no methods of backing it up

[Edited at 2009-05-06 20:52 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Monthly May 6, 2009

Don't be fool, back up is cool!

I remember that cartoon on a CD. I backup once a month.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:54
Spanish
+ ...
Weekly and less May 6, 2009

Just a few weeks ago, my computer just collapsed for no apparent reason while I was working on a large project. I couldn't even log in to save what I had done. Fortunately, I had backup up everything two days before and I only lost two days worth of work.

I have a main backup folder (C:\_To Backup) where I keep all my important files: one sub-folder is for my translation-related files, a second sub-folder is where I keep my important documents and files, and I have a third sub-folde
... See more
Just a few weeks ago, my computer just collapsed for no apparent reason while I was working on a large project. I couldn't even log in to save what I had done. Fortunately, I had backup up everything two days before and I only lost two days worth of work.

I have a main backup folder (C:\_To Backup) where I keep all my important files: one sub-folder is for my translation-related files, a second sub-folder is where I keep my important documents and files, and I have a third sub-folder where I install my programs and back them up. That way, when something wrong happens with a program or my system, I can easily re-install what I need.

I use a program called ADCS, which syncs my main backup folder in a few minutes because it doesn't have to copy everything every time, it just finds the changes and mirrors the folder to the external disks. It takes no time and it gives me peace of mind.
Collapse

Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:54
English to French
+ ...
More than once a day May 6, 2009

In 2007, I had 2 days to translate a 5,000 words project. In the morning of day 2, my hard drive crashed, without a single warning sign. My computer was not particularly old (I think something like 3 years old), and it was working perfectly well until it suddenly crashed.

Not only did I have to work extra hard to complete my project by the deadline (everything was still in my head, but typing takes time, and I had lost 2,500 words), but the last back up I had made was 6 months old.
... See more
In 2007, I had 2 days to translate a 5,000 words project. In the morning of day 2, my hard drive crashed, without a single warning sign. My computer was not particularly old (I think something like 3 years old), and it was working perfectly well until it suddenly crashed.

Not only did I have to work extra hard to complete my project by the deadline (everything was still in my head, but typing takes time, and I had lost 2,500 words), but the last back up I had made was 6 months old. I lost valuable information, especially invoices, project folders, mails. By chance, I overlooked backing up that year because I was just back to work after the birth of my son, so there was fortunately not too many projects to be lost.

But I don't want this situation to ever happen again! I work from home and from my office on an external hard drive, and everytime I close a project folder, I copy/paste it on the hard drive of either my laptop or my desktop computer.
Collapse

David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
Full back-up 4 times a week May 6, 2009

After suffering important data loss once, I now do an automated full back-up every other day. It runs while I watch the news! I have two hard drives and back up the C: drive to the back-up drive. I also save and back up the project I'm working on at regular intervals during the day - every time I take a break. This means that if the C: drive crashes and is permanently damaged (it happens!), I can be up and running again within half an hour. Always assume the worst can happen with a hard disk... See more
After suffering important data loss once, I now do an automated full back-up every other day. It runs while I watch the news! I have two hard drives and back up the C: drive to the back-up drive. I also save and back up the project I'm working on at regular intervals during the day - every time I take a break. This means that if the C: drive crashes and is permanently damaged (it happens!), I can be up and running again within half an hour. Always assume the worst can happen with a hard disk, because one day it will. That's not a motto for life - only hard disksCollapse

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several times a day - as I work May 6, 2009

Over a year ago, a translator and dear friend of mine told me about how she could have lost her information and work if she did not have a back up system when her computer was stolen and insisted that I at least looked into it. I am glad she insisted so much. I finally "broke down" and went to www.datadepositbox.com, it is a Canadian company that provides backup online. You pay for the amount of data you b... See more
Over a year ago, a translator and dear friend of mine told me about how she could have lost her information and work if she did not have a back up system when her computer was stolen and insisted that I at least looked into it. I am glad she insisted so much. I finally "broke down" and went to www.datadepositbox.com, it is a Canadian company that provides backup online. You pay for the amount of data you back up, it does it automatically online and while you are working and you can access your files from any place. IT IS GREAT!!!!!! I have my work files from my PC and laptop both backed up and I can access files from one and the other online. I chose not to backup music or pictures since that takes too much space and would increase my monthly bill. I have been paying under $10 a month for both computers. It is worth it. Check it out.Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once a month May 7, 2009

and always before travelling (I carry a copy of the "clients" disk on a portable hard disk). Lost 400 euro on a trip once and since then have saved at least 3,000.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:54
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

At the end of each working day May 7, 2009

After I finish for the day, the last thing I do is use a free application called SyncToy to synchronize two folders: one that contains all my translations/TMs on my PC and a copy I keep on a Linux server.

Check it out, you only need to set it up once and then you can backup all your fil
... See more
After I finish for the day, the last thing I do is use a free application called SyncToy to synchronize two folders: one that contains all my translations/TMs on my PC and a copy I keep on a Linux server.

Check it out, you only need to set it up once and then you can backup all your files with just one click.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 22:54
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
All the time May 7, 2009

I have a RAID 1 array scheme set up on my desktop in order to deal with simple hard drive failures (one array for my data and a separate one for my operating system), I back up my entire hard drive (data) to an external hard drive every two weeks, and I have a 16GB flash drive that I use to back up every single new project - depending on the size of the file and the time involved, I back up new files either after they're done or after every 3 or 4 hours. If I'm on the move, I take the flash dr... See more
I have a RAID 1 array scheme set up on my desktop in order to deal with simple hard drive failures (one array for my data and a separate one for my operating system), I back up my entire hard drive (data) to an external hard drive every two weeks, and I have a 16GB flash drive that I use to back up every single new project - depending on the size of the file and the time involved, I back up new files either after they're done or after every 3 or 4 hours. If I'm on the move, I take the flash drive and a series of backup discs with me - and there's usually a computer I can use in case of an emergency (i.e., laptop failure) wherever it is I'm staying. Paranoia, anyone?

[Edited at 2009-05-07 03:32 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
various external drives and online May 7, 2009

Well, I back up locally on various external drives and on an online drive. Don't trust a single external or portable drive: once I backed up all I needed on one before travelling. Nothing odd happened, but once in front of the PC data on the portable drive couldn't be read

And I don't work from a single PC. Having more than one and all programs I need installed and up-to-date helped me keep my deadlines each time a PC
... See more
Well, I back up locally on various external drives and on an online drive. Don't trust a single external or portable drive: once I backed up all I needed on one before travelling. Nothing odd happened, but once in front of the PC data on the portable drive couldn't be read

And I don't work from a single PC. Having more than one and all programs I need installed and up-to-date helped me keep my deadlines each time a PC crashed.

Giuliana
Collapse

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
one word May 7, 2009

dropbox

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Automatic daily backups May 7, 2009

I use Genie Backup Manager to back up all files modified or created each day. It has already paid off.

In addition, I save my work constantly throughout the day, and first thing the next day I give a new filename to the document I was working on the day before.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
French to English
How much work do you want to redo? May 7, 2009

...was the question a colleague asked me when we were talking about how often to back up. Explains why I'm in the "more than once a day" group, anyway.

[Edited at 2009-05-07 06:02 GMT]

Alexandra Krah
Alexandra Krah  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Romanian
+ ...
Depends May 7, 2009

There are days in which I have a full load... than I sometimes backup every hour (just on stick or something). There are also days in which I almost don't have anything, so a backup would be useless. And then, there is the "serious" backup that I do 3-4 times a year on an external HDD.

[Edited at 2009-05-07 07:01 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you back up your work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »