https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/134723-poll_do_you_work_while_traveling.html

Poll: Do you work while traveling?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 11, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work while traveling?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sylvie Mathis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work while traveling?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sylvie Mathis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:04
English to Italian
sometimes May 11, 2009

Well, when i travel abroad, it is holiday so no work.
When I visit my parents for 3 weeks I usually keep my computer with me and I work (5 am - 12) so I have the rest of the day for me and my family. usually I try to tell my client that I am working a bit less, and I only do urgent translations, or I try to manage only the new clients.

At the end of the day, I only have a proper holiday one week every year!

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Traveling - yes, holiday - usually no May 11, 2009

On car long journeys (> 150 km) I sit in the back with my laptop and work - I can earn some money and I don't have to watch my husband driving on the German motorway where there is usually no speed limit at all. I can always tell when my husband goes faster than 180 km/h because the laptop bounces too much for me to type! Working on trains is no problem either as there is enough space and the high-speed trains have power outlets. I can't work as efficiently as I would at home, but it is surprisi... See more
On car long journeys (> 150 km) I sit in the back with my laptop and work - I can earn some money and I don't have to watch my husband driving on the German motorway where there is usually no speed limit at all. I can always tell when my husband goes faster than 180 km/h because the laptop bounces too much for me to type! Working on trains is no problem either as there is enough space and the high-speed trains have power outlets. I can't work as efficiently as I would at home, but it is surprising how much does get done.Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
On the move? May 11, 2009

I've been known to work on trains and do tend to take work with me when I go somewhere "on business". I occasionally go to meet clients or work off-site and in such situations I usually take my laptop and work on the train, plane, or in my hotel room.

Otherwise, no. I do not have any qualms about refusing work when I am away on holiday.

Aside from business trips - where working on the move is more about filling time and not getting behind than anything else - I don't us
... See more
I've been known to work on trains and do tend to take work with me when I go somewhere "on business". I occasionally go to meet clients or work off-site and in such situations I usually take my laptop and work on the train, plane, or in my hotel room.

Otherwise, no. I do not have any qualms about refusing work when I am away on holiday.

Aside from business trips - where working on the move is more about filling time and not getting behind than anything else - I don't usually leave the office during regular business hours. I find it much more relaxing to work in my usual setting, with my usual resources very nearby.

Best,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
While travelling - no, while away - yes May 11, 2009

I've answered no, because no, I don't work while travelling. I find it hard to concentrate on the screen while driving.

However, if the question is, do you work while away from home, then yes, I do, if needs must!

Süleyman Tuhanioğlu
Süleyman Tuhanioğlu  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
no because... May 11, 2009

My answer is no. I dont work because i don’t believe in effectiveness of the work which is done while travelling. In my opinion, most people can’t concentrate on the work they do while travelling. In brief ; as i want my work to be excellent, i prefer not to work out of home/office.

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Sometimes May 11, 2009

Work when on holiday? No, not if I can help it. When everyone has time off to spend time together, I don't want to work. Those days are too precious to spoil with work.

Work in other places than my home? Yes, I relocate to our country house during most of the warm season and work from there. Sometimes I work on-site with clients and bring the laptop to keep up with my other work.

Work while in transit? Sometimes. On long train rides I usually catch up with accounting an
... See more
Work when on holiday? No, not if I can help it. When everyone has time off to spend time together, I don't want to work. Those days are too precious to spoil with work.

Work in other places than my home? Yes, I relocate to our country house during most of the warm season and work from there. Sometimes I work on-site with clients and bring the laptop to keep up with my other work.

Work while in transit? Sometimes. On long train rides I usually catch up with accounting and other administrative tasks. I find it difficult to concentrate on translation when travelling but the administrative stuff is less demanding, and being stuck on a train means you can't do a million other things when you should be doing the important stuff...
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the move (II) May 11, 2009

Traveling is sometimes part of a job (interpretation), but I agree I'm not that sharp for translation on a portable. The computer in that case is more a device for keeping in touch and answering client mails, and if these have to do with spot translations, it's usually minimal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work while traveling?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »