Poll: Have you met new clients as a result of being an active user of social networking websites?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 17:35
SITE STAFF
May 25, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you met new clients as a result of being an active user of social networking websites?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maciej Andrzejczak

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:35
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, and... May 25, 2009

Since 2008 I started engaging in other types of networks, notably in Facebook and LinkedIn. Of course, there are "social networks" of different kinds. Personally, I consider Facebook as a useful diffusion tool, but at the same time, it is excessively open to "anyone" and "anything"; on the contrary, LinkedIn is of a rather sober nature, which I think makes it more attractive for people of the serious-business-only type.

The fact is that I met some valuable collaborators via these social networks, AND: I discovered that they were ProZians. Of course, I checked all their ProZian background (including their BlueBoard record); some were more or less active, some others were "just there" with a completely forgotten profile.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does that include proz? May 25, 2009

Is proz included? I've only had one fruitful contact through proz so far. I have had overtures from several agencies, or people claiming to be, but none of them has so far proven worthwhile or legit. The other day I sent off a 400+ word "sample text" (which was probably for a whole tourist leaflet) and haven't received so much as a "thank you". I did a good job so am somewhat miffed. I also had a similar experience with an agency run by Brits operating from Hungary. After sending a substantial chunk of professionally translated text.... nothing, not even an acknowledgement. I'm fuming because the latter has a good Blue board rating, which I suspect may be due to "pals"....
So... if this what a supposedly "professional" site throws up... all I can say is... Caveat Emptor!

Mrs.Rouyer
France
Local time: 02:35
English to German
+ ...
Useful Networking Website May 25, 2009

I personally can highly recommend the German networking site www.xing.com (open for everyone). It is a business-oriented site, in which you can join groups from all business segments (some are in English). Some interesting translation jobs are offered there for all language pairs. It was worth registering for me, as I have grabbed several jobs there and also 'recruited' some customers. Moreover, more than one hundred hits on my profile proved that it's also a good "business card"... However, I doubt that Facebook etc. has big potential in this regard.

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
German to English
+ ...
I am sure May 25, 2009

Constanze Ruether wrote:

I personally can highly recommend the German networking site www.xing.com (open for everyone). It is a business-oriented site, in which you can join groups from all business segments (some are in English). Some interesting translation jobs are offered there for all language pairs. It was worth registering for me, as I have grabbed several jobs there and also 'recruited' some customers. Moreover, more than one hundred hits on my profile proved that it's also a good "business card"... However, I doubt that Facebook etc. has big potential in this regard.

Indeed.

I am convinced that Web 2.0. sites and the inevitable associated applications that are springing up daily have great potential. Xing, for example will 'autosearch' and report back to you people whose 'wants' match your 'haves'.

To what extent it will work in concert with SEO remains to be seen (there is an SEO expert Prozian on Twitter).

Naturally there is also a lot of bullshit on Twitter, so you have to be selective about who you 'follow'. But there are certainly some fine minds out there working hard and fast on how Web 2.0 is going to fit into E-commerce.

On Twitter, there are already groups relating to translation.
There are the so-called 'Twibes' http://ryan2point0.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/twibal-drums/ such as http://www.twibes.com/group/Translation. I have used it to harvest useful information and it has provided me with:

*New contacts
*Interesting information about e.g. the recent UK I.T.I. conference
*Info about new search engines
*A very important new CAT tool

I am now going to 'Tweet' this post to see what fellow Twitterers have to say. Indeed, two of them made a presentation at the recent London I.T.I. conference about social media.

As long it 'remains in realtime', you will see that Tweet at the foot of my profile page.

Chirps
Chris

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:35
Spanish
+ ...
Twibes May 25, 2009

I love the word! Thanks Chris for posting that link, I just joined the translation group. I also started following you.

Serena Dorey
United Kingdom
German to English
You decide what you want to get out of social networking sites May 27, 2009

What you get out of social networking sites depends on what you put in. It's also up to you what you want to achieve by using them.

I use LinkedIn and Xing and have been using Twitter regularly since January. Being an active user of these sites is part of my marketing strategy in that it helps to boost my online profile: if someone types my name into a search engine, they will find my website, my blog, my Twitter page and my LinkedIn profile. And they are all interlinked.

In terms of new business, I haven't gained any new clients through social networking sites but for me, using these sites is primarily about meeting new contacts and sharing knowledge and experiences. I was one of the translators sharing what we were learning/had learned at the recent ITI Conference via Twitter and I often share useful pieces of information and resources that I come across in my daily work there too. The people that I follow also share useful advice and sources to check out on a regular basis. So for me, being an active user of social networking sites is very worthwhile.

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Further relevant thread May 27, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/132247-introducing_twitter_to_contact_details.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you met new clients as a result of being an active user of social networking websites?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search