Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: When I stay up late working on a translation I know it's time to stop when...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:27
SITE STAFF
May 29, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I stay up late working on a translation I know it's time to stop when...".

This poll was originally submitted by Hikmat

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
French to English
Typos for me May 29, 2009

I stop when I'm making too many mistakes typing fairly simple and common words.

C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:27
Member (2007)
English to French
vongifuratoin May 29, 2009

when configuration becomes "vongifuratoin", then I really AM ready for bed !!

Hikmat  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:27
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Multiple letters on the screeen May 29, 2009

I stop when I suddenly see this on the screennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
I never stay up late ... May 29, 2009

... but, I start work very early -- normally by 5am at the latest -- different strokes for diferent folks, I guess. I just prefer to have my late afternoons and evenings to myself.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
French to English
I miss false cognates when I am tired May 29, 2009

Like translating "porte" as port when the job is architectural and there is no question it means door - there are no ships in sight. I can't think of other examples right now, but there have been plenty.

José Gralike  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
+ ...
I have to stop when left and right get mixed up May 29, 2009

Left hand and right hand trying to take each others' place and I start ytpign liek thsi icon_wink.gif

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:27
English to Russian
+ ...
There is a time to start and to stop... May 29, 2009

I've voted "other" because I do not drive myself to those late hours of the night, managing my time in a balanced way.
I understand the situation, though, that some of the colleagues may be bound by certain commitment or force major circumstances they cannot escape.)

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Typos - me too! May 29, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I stop when I'm making too many mistakes typing fairly simple and common words.

When I notice that I'm spending more time fixing the typos I casually see above the point where I am, than moving forward, I call it quits for the night.

Carol So  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
my brain stop working May 29, 2009

When I read the same sentence three times but still cant get a word of it, I know my brain just stop functioning...and coffee wont help in this case!

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
all of the above! May 29, 2009

Any and all of the possible choices are signs that it is time to turn the PC off! Great responses from everyone -- a chuckle is always good!!

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
Member (2009)
French to English
Most of these are fixable May 29, 2009

...but when the brain stops working, it's over.

blurry vision : eye drops/coffee
eyes hurt : eye drops/coffee/painkiller
body aches : painkiller or painkiller w/caffeine such as Excedrin = bonus!
someone wakes me up : this is a solution, not a problemicon_wink.gif

I do try to avoid these circumstances, but I am happy to have the ability to work late and make up my sleep at another time. I stayed up till 2 am last night, but I was able to have a nice dinner with my family, give my daughter a bath, and read to her. I make my trade-offs willingly.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:27
Spanish
+ ...
When HT looks like MT May 29, 2009

I stop when my Human Translation starts looking like Machine Translation; even if it's just a draft.

Christina Bergmann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My dear commas... May 29, 2009

It's over when I notice that I am putting commas after every other word. When I am tired I sort of become comma-philic.

Typos are surprisingly not such a big issue. That only happens when I think of something else while typing and mix up the words and/or sentences. Making a silly one out of two or the like.

brainfloss  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Funny one! :) May 29, 2009

I so can relate to this question and at a first glimpse I was looking for "all the above" LOL but then I had to choose a answer based on my own statistics.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I stay up late working on a translation I know it's time to stop when...

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search