https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/138179-poll_from_where_do_you_receive_inspiration_in_your_work_as_a_translator.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: From where do you receive inspiration in your work as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 20, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "From where do you receive inspiration in your work as a translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "From where do you receive inspiration in your work as a translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
maybe clarify the question Jun 21, 2009

I not sure what is intended by "inspiration in your work as a translator".

Motivation to work as a translator rather than, say, becoming a professional football player?

Inspiration that motivates to take on a difficult project rather than, say. having a week off?

Inspiration that motivates to persist with a boring project that one already has taken on rather than, say, procrastinating or postponing it for later?

Stylistic and terminological
... See more

Motivation to work as a translator rather than, say, becoming a professional football player?

Inspiration that motivates to take on a difficult project rather than, say. having a week off?

Inspiration that motivates to persist with a boring project that one already has taken on rather than, say, procrastinating or postponing it for later?

Stylistic and terminological inspiration that enriches one's way or style of translating, terminological preferences or personal inclinations in terminological and stylistic problem-solving?

Inspiration as a sense of joy experienced during the act of translating?

Inspiration as a sense of professional pride and self-fulfillment in being a translator?

[Edited at 2009-06-21 00:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-21 04:05 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Jun 21, 2009

Same here, it's an intriguing question but I'm not sure what is meant by 'inspiration'.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:56
English to Swedish
+ ...
well Jun 21, 2009

I receive a lot of inspiration - in the sense of inspiration to translate terms in one way or another - from dictionaries and online terminological resources like kudoz, iate, etc.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too Jun 21, 2009

I need to know what is meant with inspiration, before answering...Or I'll say I am self-inspired...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above Jun 21, 2009

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Stylistic and terminological inspiration that enriches one's way or style of translating, terminological preferences or personal inclinations in terminological and stylistic problem-solving?

Inspiration as a sense of joy experienced during the act of translating?

Inspiration as a sense of professional pride and self-fulfillment in being a translator?

Hi Thomas, I've always seen life as a "both/and" not as as an "either/or" experience. So why not consider all of the options you've presented as possibilities and run with any or all of them?

The truth is, I think I sent this question in a couple of years ago. I'd forgotten that I ever sent it.

I believe I proposed it after seeing the film The Muse with Sharon Stone and Albert Brooks. The plot had to do with how we receive inspiration (creativity, encouragement to hang in there, fresh ideas, etc).

The dictionary definition of inspiration states:
inspiration - Somebody or something that stimulates a person to a high level of feeling, to creative thought, or to achieve the making of art. Inspiration may be the condition or quality of being stimulated to creative thought or activity. A sudden brilliant idea... To inspire someone is to fill that person with confidence and motivation; an inspired person feels that he or she can achieve something difficult or special.
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/In.html

Some practical examples in our work would be: hearing a speaker at a conference who motivates you in some aspect of your work; reading an article or book and something you read jumps off the page and gives you a new idea of how to go about your work, seeing how other translators work and wanting to follow their example, etc.

This is meant to be an open ended question with lots of room for translators to discuss what has been of help to them in their career.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
The source Jun 21, 2009

I am inspired by the source!

[Edited at 2009-06-21 07:10 GMT]

Miet Ooms
Miet Ooms
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
lots of sources Jun 21, 2009

self-inspiration, old translations about the same topic, articles on the internet and websites, dictionaries, ...

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:56
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

All of the above + the source Jun 21, 2009

Or, maybe I had better say: The source + all of the above...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
All of those and more, with the exception of... Jun 21, 2009

books and articles for translators!

Seriously, I have such eccelctic tastes and interests in which only I find a common thread no doubt. Observing, with my ears, my eyes and my nose... people, music, the sky. Whatever!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Inspiration and translation? Jun 21, 2009

Well, for me those two words don't really go together. I'm not inspired by translating. Sometimes I find it interesting, I like working with words, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it inspires me (although it may inspire others, of course!). I think of inspiration as having more to do with the arts, music in particular in my case, and specifically composing and arranging.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Inspiration Jun 21, 2009

Hi,

As far as inspiration for working as a professional is concerned, I am self-motivated usually as I plan and execute the same in my life. I have got few inspirations, from my dad, my teachers and ex-manager Mr. Ajit Pardesi (VP in a reputed company now), Principal of Small Heaven School- Mr. Resham Lal Shrestha and ex-colleague Mr. Sundar Shrestha.
However, if translations are concerned, I am inspired by few translators, for say
Late Mr. Harivansh Rai Bacchan, whose t
... See more
Hi,

As far as inspiration for working as a professional is concerned, I am self-motivated usually as I plan and execute the same in my life. I have got few inspirations, from my dad, my teachers and ex-manager Mr. Ajit Pardesi (VP in a reputed company now), Principal of Small Heaven School- Mr. Resham Lal Shrestha and ex-colleague Mr. Sundar Shrestha.
However, if translations are concerned, I am inspired by few translators, for say
Late Mr. Harivansh Rai Bacchan, whose translated Hindi version, Madhushala, is equally popular among Hindi linguists as the original may be.
Translation of Sanskrit epics into Hindi and Nepali languages are equally famous and dear to me. For say,
Sanskrit Ramayana by Maharishi (the great saint) Valmeeki
Nepali Ramayana by great poet Bhanubhakt.
Hindi Ramayana by Tulsidas.
English Ramayana by ...... (may be by self some day if someone will be interested in working on it, getting published it with my name in the version. Hoping positively!)

Good Working Day ahead!
Prakash Sharma
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
People (Service) Profit Jun 21, 2009

From people, specializing in different fields, I met at university or in other circumstances.
They act as vocabulary suppliers, because they use a particular terminology in daily working-circumstances. They also review translations content-wise.

Noël Purcell-O'Byrne
Noël Purcell-O'Byrne
Belgium
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Experience Jun 21, 2009

Age!, reading, previous work, travel ....
and curiosity.

Jurate Janaviciute
Jurate Janaviciute  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Lithuanian
Poor translations Jun 21, 2009

Poorly translated articles on economics! Sometimes they can be so funny!

Funny, yet misleading their readers. They make me want to translate everything concerning economics by myself.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: From where do you receive inspiration in your work as a translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »