Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long do you keep your clients' emails?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 23:08
SITE STAFF
Jun 25, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long do you keep your clients' emails?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Depends... Jun 25, 2009

on the content of the email... I do a lot of housekeeping in my emails, and I delete the ones which are not important immediately and keep the important ones. I don't really ever touch those, because I don't have time to go through old emails again.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Never Jun 25, 2009

On several occasions I have found old emails extremely usefull and I simply don't see any advantage of deleting them (providing that they are properly organized). For a long time I used paid version of Yahoo but at some point the search function stopped working (too many emails)

Recently I have signed up for Google Apps account which comes with enhanced Gmail - I have uploaded there emals from several accounts and for the time being I am using some 8 GB of space.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never delete them Jun 25, 2009

I never delete them. I keep a separate inbox folder for each client. I even keep a folder for emails from "potential clients." Among other things, this one has helped me to pinpoint clients who have contacted me more than once for "imminent" work but who never sent it. Or clients who promised me to "contact me upon authorization of my rates by..." [obviously, meaning that my rates were high and they could not afford them]. Some of them are funny.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 22:54 GMT]

??? Jun 26, 2009

What email?

If that's a mail assiging me job, then I keep it until I get paid (and possibly beyond).
The rest? All depends on the nature of the correspondence.

[Edited at 2009-06-26 01:21 GMT]

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2006)
German to English
12 months is long enough Jun 26, 2009

I keep all "useful" mails only one year, then I get rid of them. With 50 mails a day, what is the purpose of keeping them. Very important documents are printed out and put in a folder.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Until I get paid!! Jun 26, 2009

I keep client mails until I get paid!

Anything important has to be archived elsewhere, as my mailbox gets increasingly chaotic as mails get older.

Passwords, clients' contact details, rates agreed on and other important things are archived as they arrive, or they risk being swept away in one of my bouts of tidying up.

Help, it's almost the end of the month, time for another cleanout!

[Edited at 2009-06-26 08:19 GMT]

keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely ! Jun 26, 2009

Elías Sauza wrote:

I never delete them. I keep a separate inbox folder for each client. I even keep a folder for emails from "potential clients." Among other things, this one has helped me to pinpoint clients who have contacted me more than once for "imminent" work but who never sent it. Or clients who promised me to "contact me upon authorization of my rates by..." [obviously, meaning that my rates were high and they could not afford them]. Some of them are funny.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 22:54 GMT]

I do exactly the same with arranging different folders for each client. If there is an email that is not too important regarding a job, I may delete it but I keep the main emails for each job: ie. the document received, the translation sent...I think that it is is good to keep emails.

I have one account for work, another for leisure and another for Facebook - that way my work account is never cluttered and I don't need to use much space.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Never delete them, but one folder fits it all Jun 26, 2009

Wow, I see that some people really put some effort in it when it comes to e-mail administration. I tried the "one folder for each client" approach as well, but I resigned from it quite quickly after I found out that it takes time to actually sort my e-mails (and be it only by writing and adjusting the appropriate filters). Apart from that, if you access your e-mail by webmail (which I do frequently), you have it all in one folder again. For me, the sorting functions in Outlook or in the most webmail interfaces (just by clicking on the headers) work just fine.

I also never delete my e-mail, I even back it up for years and years. It is like a diary that keeps itself, without me putting any effort into it. Nevertheless, I can always kind of track what I did during a certain period of time.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why file or delete? Jun 26, 2009

I use Google's Gmail and it offers more than seven gigabytes of space for keeping all my emails. The search function and spam filter work extremely well, so why bother filing or deleting anything?

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 09:08
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agreed Jun 26, 2009

Christine Andersen wrote:

I keep client mails until I get paid!

Anything important has to be archived elsewhere, as my mailbox gets increasingly chaotic as mails get older.

Passwords, clients' contact details, rates agreed on and other important things are archived as they arrive, or they risk being swept away in one of my bouts of tidying up.

Help, it's almost the end of the month, time for another cleanout!

[Edited at 2009-06-26 08:19 GMT]

Same here. Just a precaution in case I need to take debt recovery action and have to prove that the job was solicited/performed. Apart from that, why would I need them?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Until job completed and paid ! Jun 26, 2009

All exchanges relating to the job underway are kept "live" on the ordi until the job is complete and paid.

Essential contractual correspondence for bigger jobs is printed out and kept for 6 years.

[Edited at 2009-06-26 11:14 GMT]

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Me, too. Jun 26, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

I use Google's Gmail and it offers more than seven gigabytes of space for keeping all my emails. The search function and spam filter work extremely well, so why bother filing or deleting anything?

Same here, John. it's so convenient...all I have to do is click on "archive" and I have all my e-mails available if I should need them. I've used the search function a lot, and very rarely do I ever get a spam e-mail in my inbox. Highly recommended.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:08
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Never delete anything Jun 26, 2009

I use Gmail and I love it, for all the reasons already stated.

Michael Harris wrote:
I keep all "useful" mails only one year, then I get rid of them. With 50 mails a day, what is the purpose of keeping them. Very important documents are printed out and put in a folder.

So what do you do if you want to quote, forward or reply to an old email? Scan the printouts and attach them as images?...

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
English to German
when I've received payment for a job Jun 26, 2009

I only keep the important e-mails, e. g. instructions/POs, which I save as a txt or html file in the project folder, but not the whole correspondance that takes place in the course of a project.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long do you keep your clients' emails?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search