Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Do you know of any words in English that have been borrowed from your (working) language(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:49
German to English
Since its German... Jul 1, 2009

...how about if we start with the irregular verbs, and go from there. It's what the experts who worked on Webster's 4th seemed to think (every irregular verb I've looked up lists Anglo-Saxon in the etymology...it might not be all of them, right? ).

Koen van Gilst
Koen van Gilst  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:49
German to Dutch
+ ...
Great story Theo, but... Jul 1, 2009

As much as I would like the story about the 'verstandskies' to be true, I think 'verstand' does really mean 'wisdom'. They are called wisdom teeth, because they appear at a later age (at which people are thought to be wiser.

(See (in Dutch): http://www.onzetaal.nl/advies/verstandskies.php)

Such a pi
... See more
As much as I would like the story about the 'verstandskies' to be true, I think 'verstand' does really mean 'wisdom'. They are called wisdom teeth, because they appear at a later age (at which people are thought to be wiser.

(See (in Dutch): http://www.onzetaal.nl/advies/verstandskies.php)

Such a pity. It would have been great to tell my German friends here, that their 'Weisheitszahn' is a mistranslation of a Dutch word.

I do like the story of the word 'boulevard', which originally came from the Dutch word 'bolwerk'.

Be sure to also check the etymology of the word sabotage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabotage#Origin

Theo Bernards wrote:

Gerard de Noord wrote:

You'll find dozens of them at
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Dutch_origin

Regards,
Gerard

Here was I, thinking that only we Dutch import words from other languages. To stray a little off-topic: a peculiar word in the English language is 'wisdom tooth'. It is a mistranslation from 'verstandskies': in the original Dutch meaning 'verstand' is how we Dutch name something standing very far away, but we also name the inner workings of our brain 'verstand', which can be translated as 'wisdom' which is imho not the best translation. The correct translation for 'verstandskies' is something in the line of 'far-standing tooth' (please don't quote me on that, because I am sure there is a more accurate translation, but for the purpose of my contribution to this poll this is sufficient ). Funnily enough the mistranslation happens in at least one other language (French has 'dent de sagesse') and I suspect there are more languages which have copied the mistranslation of 'verstandskies'. Could it be because dental sciences were developed in The Netherlands or maybe Flanders? I don't know. Anyway, I am always on the lookout for such oddities in the field of languages, so if anybody knows one, please let me know, together with a brief explanation. I might even be able to compile a list of such words, with a little background information for each term.[Edited at 2009-07-01 13:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-01 13:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-01 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Vasiliy Afanasiev
Vasiliy Afanasiev
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:49
Chinese to Russian
+ ...
English words from Russian origin Jul 1, 2009

please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Russian_origin

[Edited at 2009-07-01 13:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-01 14:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-01 15:48 GMT]

Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
At least two Jul 1, 2009

At least two:

-Guerrilla (we were the inventors of that type of war)

-Alligator: El lagarto

But for sure there are more

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A few more from Russian Jul 1, 2009

I think there are two main categories: words that go into the language and stay there long-term, and words that are associated with current events, are popular for a time and then either fade out completely or revert to being used only when referring to the other country.

From Russian, in the first category:
Troika (a sleigh pulled by three horses);
Vodka (no explanation needed!)
Tsar (not only for the former head of the Russian Empire, but any head of some governm
... See more
I think there are two main categories: words that go into the language and stay there long-term, and words that are associated with current events, are popular for a time and then either fade out completely or revert to being used only when referring to the other country.

From Russian, in the first category:
Troika (a sleigh pulled by three horses);
Vodka (no explanation needed!)
Tsar (not only for the former head of the Russian Empire, but any head of some government body with extensive powers);
Pogrom (attack on people of a certain race or religion, with a view to their expulsion).
And of course balalaika and "bolshie", as already mentioned.

In the second category:
Sputnik (same into use when the first Russian satellite was launched, applied to any satellite at first, but now only used of the early Soviet ones);
Glasnost (openness, one of Gorbachev's buzzwords)
Perestroyka (restructuring, ditto).

And doubtless many more.
Collapse

Adedamola Olofa
Adedamola Olofa
Nigeria
English to Yoruba
+ ...
Except If I Have to Check the whole Webster Dictionary Jul 1, 2009

Except I have to check the whole of Webster Dictionary and that may take about a year to reply to this poll.:grin:

But if in publications, I have not come across any. Though, there are hundreds of English words borrowed into Yoruba language. E.g. bread = buredi; computer = Komputa; [Yoruba alphabets do not contain c, q, v, x and z], coat = kootu; etc

But I shall appreciate it, if someone knows of any.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Quite a few from Polish Jul 1, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Polish_origin

Natalia Pedrosa (X)
Natalia Pedrosa (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some more Spanish terms Jul 1, 2009

Fiesta, sangría, etc. Sorry, a bit short of inspiration.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
And a really popular one... Jul 1, 2009

Katio wrote:

Particularly prevalent:

Angst
Schadenfreude
and for a while the unbeatable "four-spring duck technique" = "Vorsprung durch technik"(!!)

Regards,
Katio

Gesundheit!

Dr. Johanna Schmitt
Dr. Johanna Schmitt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
An English word derived from German is... Jul 1, 2009

..."kindergarten", and another one is "rucksack", I think, and some more you can find in the link Andrea mentioned above.

Many greetings,
Johanna

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes but Jul 1, 2009

I'm too busy right now to detail any of the regulat ones that spring to mind (might do so later) or to take issue with any other posters.
However, I should mention that most of my friends who come to visit in SPAIN have adopted such Spanish terms as "bocata" or "cubata" and we also now say "imprescindible" but with an English pronunciation (rhymes with wibble)....

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
And lots from Arabic Jul 1, 2009

Most famously: alcohol, algebra, algorithm, alchemy (and many more beginning with al-)
Also off the top of my head: ghoul, magazine, kohl

But here's a more or less comprehensive list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arabic_loanwords_in_English

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Funny Jul 1, 2009

I've always thought it is funny that the words borrowed from Spanish refer to sleeping and partying (siesta, sangría, fiesta)

Dora Evagelinaki
Dora Evagelinaki  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:49
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
What about Greek? Jul 1, 2009

Quite a few, I think!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_words_with_English_derivatives

Gabriella Scalamonti
Gabriella Scalamonti  Identity Verified
Sweden
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
the swedish word ombudsman Jul 1, 2009

the ancient swedish word "ombudsman" is now officially used in every language.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you know of any words in English that have been borrowed from your (working) language(s)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »