Poll: Most of my clients are...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 5, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Most of my clients are...".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Virginie Lerat

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Most of my clients are...".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Virginie Lerat

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:28
German to English
+ ...
I have worked for more individual end clients... Jul 5, 2009

...than translation agencies, but translation agencies are my biggest source of regular income.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Direct clients and translation agencies Jul 5, 2009

About 70 % of my customers are translation agencies and fortunately I also have about 30 % direct customers.

Barbara Cattaneo
Barbara Cattaneo
English to Italian
+ ...
other Jul 6, 2009

my clients are a balanced mix of everything, with a good share of end clients fortunately!

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mostly direct clients Jul 6, 2009

At least 85% of my sales are billed to direct clients. I prefer direct clients because they pay higher rates and tend to pay much more quickly (sometimes in advance). I only accept agency work in the gaps between direct jobs. I usually decline large agency jobs because I don't want to sacrifice my availability for direct clients.

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mostly agencies Jul 6, 2009

I've always wondered, are agencies the future? Will more and more end clients go to agencies because of lower rates?

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Agencies Jul 6, 2009

I work mostly in software localization or translate manuals for electronics. These manuals, software and websites are usually localized into several languages at once and it makes no sense for the direct client to hire individual translators. Thus, in my field, agency work is really the only way to go.

Or am I missing something?

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are agencies cheaper? Jul 6, 2009

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

I've always wondered, are agencies the future? Will more and more end clients go to agencies because of lower rates?

Hi Catherine

No direct client of mine has ever said to me that he or she had found an agency that was cheaper. Not once.

Maybe I am cheaper than the agencies, maybe they have never looked for a cheaper supplier, maybe they couldn't care less if somebody else was cheaper, maybe they were too polite to say anything.

Anyway, the shining truth is that price is not the main issue for most direct clients.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
end clients Jul 6, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

At least 85% of my sales are billed to direct clients. I prefer direct clients because they pay higher rates and tend to pay much more quickly (sometimes in advance). I only accept agency work in the gaps between direct jobs. I usually decline large agency jobs because I don't want to sacrifice my availability for direct clients.

Both as an agency representative and a feeelancer, I prefer end clients with their own contact and collaboration method.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
I guess this has to do with age Jul 6, 2009

I started my freelance career in 1989, hunting for clients by fax! Therefore, although I do work for several agencies from around the world (no local ones for me!), most of my clients are Chilean companies and universities. A good number of local and foreign colleagues I have met through Proz complete the picture.

Have a nice day!

mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 08:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
direct clients are the best Jul 6, 2009

It surprises me how many translators//interpreters work only with agencies. It's a wonderful way to start. Some are wonderful, especially when you have a good PM, but direct clients are the best. The rates are better, no running around trying to get answers or information.

At meetings and conferences I've noticed that most translators/interpreters do not go out and get clients. Is it that many don't have presentation skills or that they don't like going on sales calls?

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My special end clients Jul 6, 2009

I have only worked for end clients, particularly in my specialities

John has the answer!
John Rawlins wrote: Anyway, the shining truth is that price is not the main issue for most direct clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Most of my clients are...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »