Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If I find myself with free time during business hours, I...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 10:18
SITE STAFF
Jul 8, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If I find myself with free time during business hours, I...".

This poll was originally submitted by Julianne Rowland

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:18
German to English
+ ...
All kinds of things Jul 8, 2009

I voted "other" as I don't really have strict business hours as such.

If I find myself with some free time during the day, I catch up on paperwork, work on my marketing, pick up the guitar and sing some songs, go shopping, catch up on e-mails... It varies a lot. Tidying my desk doesn't feature very highly on the list, but perhaps it should.

Paola Prodan  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other! Jul 8, 2009

I do all the activities mentioned in this poll depending on how much free time I have during business hours. The more free time I have the more activities I do.

When I visit a friend during business hours, it means that I did all the activities mentioned and I also had free time for social life!

Happy translating!

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:18
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
no "business hours" Jul 8, 2009

Catherine Knight wrote:

I voted "other" as I don't really have strict business hours as such.

If I find myself with some free time during the day, I catch up on paperwork, work on my marketing, pick up the guitar and sing some songs, go shopping, catch up on e-mails... It varies a lot. Tidying my desk doesn't feature very highly on the list, but perhaps it should.

Like you, I don't really keep set "business hours," although I know there are a lot of people who feel this is necessary to maintain proper work/life balance. I have many family/personal activities that intrude on the normal business day, and in exchange it doesn't bother me if business intrudes on what might normally be family/personal time.

Sometimes during the day if I've got free time I'll catch up on accounting chores. If it looks like I'll have a large chunk of free time, I'll go out to the stable and go horseback riding when there are fewer people around (I pay a monthly "lease" fee in exchange for 4 rides a week on stable-owned horses)--it's a great stress-buster for me!

Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:18
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

All of the above Jul 8, 2009

Catch up on administrative work
Go out for a stroll
Work on professional development
Clean my desk

And probably:
Watch TV
Chat with friends

It just depends on my mood and on the free time available.

Varsha Pendse-Joshi  Identity Verified
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
Can't choose any one Jul 9, 2009

Can not choose any one....as I do first 4 options depending on the situation

Yes all of the above Jul 9, 2009

In fact I decide when is my business hour even I am under pressure of finishing urgent translation assignment.

It is my policy to find free time before, during and after translation tasks.

On the other hand, I am constantly checking email whether I have idle time or not.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Go to the beach Jul 9, 2009

Actually, I do any or all of the above listed in the poll, but I also try to get to the beach for 30 min most days to work on my fear and loathing of open water swimming. So I am not having fun during business hours, honest! I work all hours of course, but I do have "business hours" from about 8-6 where I try to be reasonably reachable. The 30 min at the beach without my Blackberry is the only exception.

bookwormkt
Local time: 18:18
French to English
+ ...
A bit of all those listed, plus others. Jul 9, 2009

Admin, tidying my desk, CPD are all important, but so is going for a walk to clear my head (and keep the dogs happy

I also love to read in French and English to keep me in touch with how native speakers write.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most of the above Jul 9, 2009

Admin is indeed important, especially preparing my bills, which I am all too often inclined to overlook. Which reminds me, the VAT statement is due yet again...
However, rarely desk tidying, which for me is a tiresome and daunting affair, and never professional development, which sounds far too far up itself for my liking.
There's always the dog to walk, then the garden beckons, before seeking out the recyling bins, which are usually quite far from my house, followed by shopping, cooking and routine vehicle maintenance (mainly oil checks).
Getting in touch with family and friends I suppose could also fit into this category...
Then there's always kudoz!

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
All kinds of things Jul 9, 2009

I am a freelance translator mainly because it allows me to fill in my day as I please, as long as I earn enough to fund my lifestyle. I don't have strict business hours because my market is very broad, so sometimes I work a rush order in the evening, leaving me time to mow the lawn during the day, while at other times I am glued to my desk for a few days leaving me to work on my rock garden in the early evening. And there is, of course, always the necessary marketing to do in order to ensure I have enough to do next week, although that has lessened somewhat as my clients base is continuously growing.

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Computer games Jul 9, 2009

I play World of Warcraft. It's an addiction!

keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For a stroll... Jul 9, 2009

I go for a stroll, but that stroll could be to the swimming pool, the supermarket, to my accountant, to visit a friend...anything that involves stretching my legs really.

Like others have said, I wouldn't say that they are breaks in business hours, simply breaks between translations...and from 9 to 6 I always have my Blackberry on.

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
Depending on the season and work load... Jul 9, 2009

During the summer and school breaks, I spend more time with my family.

Other times, I work on my other business - freelance writing

or write poetry

or garden

or rest in my hammock...

Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:18
English to Russian
+ ...
D... Jul 9, 2009

Do the gardening, feed my animals (chicken:)), do the house projects... a helluva lot of work to do!

[Edited at 2009-07-09 19:41 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If I find myself with free time during business hours, I...

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search