Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you own a fax machine?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 9, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you own a fax machine?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lise Smidth

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you own a fax machine?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lise Smidth

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
German to English
+ ...
Used to .. Jul 9, 2009

But as I haven't sent or received a fax in years, when it went wrong I ditched it!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Option missing: own one, use it seldomly Jul 9, 2009

It was much more important in the past, but I still do get some few pages via fax. Sending out faxes is even more rare, but also happens from time to time.
So I do own one and need it, but use it not very often. This option is simply missing.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
I own it... Jul 9, 2009

... but I use it once a month (maybe).
I agree with Jerzy, this option is missing.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Yes, and I use it sometimes Jul 9, 2009

It does come in handy and I'd hate to be without one, although I don't use it that often. The times I do use it, it's because there's no alternative way to send that particular document. I don't like traditional fax machines, and have a scanner/fax/printer in one - I find it excellent. No more jammed dcuments

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Fax software on the computer... Jul 9, 2009

which I only used to receive work from a single long-term end-client, who was not a friend of technology and produced hand-written documents which he then faxed to me. Luckily, he knew someone who owned a computer and so was able to receive my translations by email.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
With Jerzy Jul 9, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It was much more important in the past, but I still do get some few pages via fax. Sending out faxes is even more rare, but also happens from time to time.
So I do own one and need it, but use it not very often. This option is simply missing.

I had to put other, as this was the option I would have gone for too. I always used to have one, then when my last one stopped working (or only fed one page at a time, which was most frustrating), I went over to computer fax software instead. It took a while to set up, but worked OK. However, I've recently changed my printer and ended up going for a fax/printer/scanner/copier combined, which gives me the option to scan/fax up to 30 pages and I find it much easier to use. Plus if you're away, I find it more acceptable to leave the printer on, than to leave the whole computer on, to receive any faxes which may come in. I do still receive some jobs by fax and have to send them out to freelancers by fax, so I couldn't be without it. It used to be an essential part of a freelancer's equipment, but probably isn't for many people now.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Jul 10, 2009

I can't even remember the last time I owned a fax machine. I scan and send by e-mail for that sort of thing, and if I really need to send or receive a fax (which is extremely rare and usually has nothing to do with my translation work), there's an internet cafe right across the street.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 02:24
Member (2003)
French to English
I used to but not anymore Jul 10, 2009

Now I have a scanner and an efax account.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
fax software Jul 10, 2009

so i can send from my computer. But i could use a scanner, since a lot of times you have to scan and fax agreements etc. It's such a nuisance!

Rosa Cabral
Rosa Cabral  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
e-fax Jul 10, 2009

I have an e-fax account just for receiving faxes as I never fax anything myself. I scan documents if I must and then send then via email.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Same here Jul 10, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As a matter of fact, I even own 2

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jul 10, 2009

I use it but not too often.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
I chose "Yes but I don´t use it" - but the truth is... Jul 10, 2009

...I use it once every two months or so. I have one client who isn´t good with computors and I use it for his sake, and a few times clients has asked me to fax signed contracts but usually they rather want me to scan something and send it, so I probably use the scanner for some reason every two weeks and the fax once very two months. My scanner can also take copies and it is a printer + it doesn´t take up a lot of space, so I am very happy about that one. My fax on the other hand is supposed t... See more
...I use it once every two months or so. I have one client who isn´t good with computors and I use it for his sake, and a few times clients has asked me to fax signed contracts but usually they rather want me to scan something and send it, so I probably use the scanner for some reason every two weeks and the fax once very two months. My scanner can also take copies and it is a printer + it doesn´t take up a lot of space, so I am very happy about that one. My fax on the other hand is supposed to have a scanner in it but I never got it to work and it is supposed to be able to print but for some reason it doesn´t work either + it takes up so much space so I have thought about throwing it out a lot of times, but I am sure that if I would I would regret it...

I don´t have a separate phoneline for the fax and I can´t have the fax, the phone and the broadband connected at the same time, so everytime a client wants to send me a fax they have to tell me in advance and then I have to dissconnect the internet and phone and wait until they send the fax so I am not so happy about using it...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It is built into the printer Jul 10, 2009

When I chose the printer six years ago, I did still use the fax now and then, and it was a good idea. Now I wish I could get rid of it, because the fax is always 'on' and takes over the telephone after two rings!

If I am not right by the phone, people think I am not at home and ring off...

I have tried to reset it, but without success. I have just learnt to grab the phone at record speed instead, but one day, I will have to have a new printer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you own a fax machine?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »