Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you own a fax machine?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 9, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you own a fax machine?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lise Smidth

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you own a fax machine?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lise Smidth

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
Used to .. Jul 9, 2009

But as I haven't sent or received a fax in years, when it went wrong I ditched it!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Option missing: own one, use it seldomly Jul 9, 2009

It was much more important in the past, but I still do get some few pages via fax. Sending out faxes is even more rare, but also happens from time to time.
So I do own one and need it, but use it not very often. This option is simply missing.

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
I own it... Jul 9, 2009

... but I use it once a month (maybe).
I agree with Jerzy, this option is missing.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Yes, and I use it sometimes Jul 9, 2009

It does come in handy and I'd hate to be without one, although I don't use it that often. The times I do use it, it's because there's no alternative way to send that particular document. I don't like traditional fax machines, and have a scanner/fax/printer in one - I find it excellent. No more jammed dcuments

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Fax software on the computer... Jul 9, 2009

which I only used to receive work from a single long-term end-client, who was not a friend of technology and produced hand-written documents which he then faxed to me. Luckily, he knew someone who owned a computer and so was able to receive my translations by email.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
With Jerzy Jul 9, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It was much more important in the past, but I still do get some few pages via fax. Sending out faxes is even more rare, but also happens from time to time.
So I do own one and need it, but use it not very often. This option is simply missing.

I had to put other, as this was the option I would have gone for too. I always used to have one, then when my last one stopped working (or only fed one page at a time, which was most frustrating), I went over to computer fax software instead. It took a while to set up, but worked OK. However, I've recently changed my printer and ended up going for a fax/printer/scanner/copier combined, which gives me the option to scan/fax up to 30 pages and I find it much easier to use. Plus if you're away, I find it more acceptable to leave the printer on, than to leave the whole computer on, to receive any faxes which may come in. I do still receive some jobs by fax and have to send them out to freelancers by fax, so I couldn't be without it. It used to be an essential part of a freelancer's equipment, but probably isn't for many people now.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Jul 10, 2009

I can't even remember the last time I owned a fax machine. I scan and send by e-mail for that sort of thing, and if I really need to send or receive a fax (which is extremely rare and usually has nothing to do with my translation work), there's an internet cafe right across the street.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
French to English
I used to but not anymore Jul 10, 2009

Now I have a scanner and an efax account.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
fax software Jul 10, 2009

so i can send from my computer. But i could use a scanner, since a lot of times you have to scan and fax agreements etc. It's such a nuisance!

Rosa Cabral
Rosa Cabral  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
e-fax Jul 10, 2009

I have an e-fax account just for receiving faxes as I never fax anything myself. I scan documents if I must and then send then via email.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Same here Jul 10, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As a matter of fact, I even own 2

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jul 10, 2009

I use it but not too often.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
I chose "Yes but I don´t use it" - but the truth is... Jul 10, 2009

...I use it once every two months or so. I have one client who isn´t good with computors and I use it for his sake, and a few times clients has asked me to fax signed contracts but usually they rather want me to scan something and send it, so I probably use the scanner for some reason every two weeks and the fax once very two months. My scanner can also take copies and it is a printer + it doesn´t take up a lot of space, so I am very happy about that one. My fax on the other hand is supposed t... See more
...I use it once every two months or so. I have one client who isn´t good with computors and I use it for his sake, and a few times clients has asked me to fax signed contracts but usually they rather want me to scan something and send it, so I probably use the scanner for some reason every two weeks and the fax once very two months. My scanner can also take copies and it is a printer + it doesn´t take up a lot of space, so I am very happy about that one. My fax on the other hand is supposed to have a scanner in it but I never got it to work and it is supposed to be able to print but for some reason it doesn´t work either + it takes up so much space so I have thought about throwing it out a lot of times, but I am sure that if I would I would regret it...

I don´t have a separate phoneline for the fax and I can´t have the fax, the phone and the broadband connected at the same time, so everytime a client wants to send me a fax they have to tell me in advance and then I have to dissconnect the internet and phone and wait until they send the fax so I am not so happy about using it...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It is built into the printer Jul 10, 2009

When I chose the printer six years ago, I did still use the fax now and then, and it was a good idea. Now I wish I could get rid of it, because the fax is always 'on' and takes over the telephone after two rings!

If I am not right by the phone, people think I am not at home and ring off...

I have tried to reset it, but without success. I have just learnt to grab the phone at record speed instead, but one day, I will have to have a new printer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you own a fax machine?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »