https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/140294-poll_how_many_other_translators_interpreters_do_you_know_in_person.html

Poll: How many other translators/interpreters do you know in person?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 17, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many other translators/interpreters do you know in person?".

This poll was originally submitted by Tokyo_Moscow

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many other translators/interpreters do you know in person?".

This poll was originally submitted by Tokyo_Moscow

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: 1.5 Jul 17, 2009

I'm interpreting "know in person" as meaning: know well enough to work with or have some type of periodic, face-to-face, personal contact.

I was happy to meet several translators in person at the powwow in Girona a couple of years back, but haven't had any particular need or reason to maintain the contact.

In person, I know one British translator with whom I've collaborated many times over the years.

My .5 person is a French woman who has helped me several
... See more
I'm interpreting "know in person" as meaning: know well enough to work with or have some type of periodic, face-to-face, personal contact.

I was happy to meet several translators in person at the powwow in Girona a couple of years back, but haven't had any particular need or reason to maintain the contact.

In person, I know one British translator with whom I've collaborated many times over the years.

My .5 person is a French woman who has helped me several times with translations into French, but she's not a fulltime translator, hence, the .5. Although not a translator per se, I work with her because she does a conscientious job and my clients are happy with her work.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Quite a few Jul 17, 2009

The ones I studied with (yes, we do keep in touch, even though we do not necessarily work together), the ones I work(ed) with, the ones I meet at clients' parties (yes there are such things), the ones I meet at congresses/seminars/powwows, the ones I know from the CBTIP (professional association) and in my case, it also "runs in the family".

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
> 20 Jul 17, 2009

I studied this career at university and we were 50 people graduating by the end of December 1997. Besides that, I've met others through contacts, colleagues and Powwows.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Lost Count Jul 17, 2009

Being located on the U.S.-Mexico border, there is a strong local demand for our services, so there are a lot of us around. We also have our own association (EPITA) that meets on a regular basis and sponsors seminars and continuing education opportunities. I know quite a few personally, both members and non-members, plus other colleagues who live in other areas and even far away countries.

I can recall a time when I may have known no more than 2 or 3 colleagues and not seeing them ve
... See more
Being located on the U.S.-Mexico border, there is a strong local demand for our services, so there are a lot of us around. We also have our own association (EPITA) that meets on a regular basis and sponsors seminars and continuing education opportunities. I know quite a few personally, both members and non-members, plus other colleagues who live in other areas and even far away countries.

I can recall a time when I may have known no more than 2 or 3 colleagues and not seeing them very often. I used to work in almost total isolation. Now our profession has grown tremendously through the years, both in numbers and in quality, and we have quite a bit of interaction and often work together.

Some of us are also on Proz, but our situation and our markets are quite different from the great majority here. There are many more colleagues who are mainly interpreters rather than translators, most of whom work in court settings. Some of us do conference interpreting.

It is great to have so much personal contact with so many colleagues in addition to the contacts we make here.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Jul 17, 2009

I've met "so many I've lost count", through a Proz conference and various PowWows. I know well only 7, of whom 4 I first met through another online forum (completely unrelated to translation, or indeed work), 1 at a Proz conference, 1 at a PowWow and 1 through a client translation agency.

[Edited at 2009-07-17 13:19 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
English to German
> 20 but it's all down to interpretation Jul 17, 2009

I interpreted this as "how many people have you met in person who work as translators?", which is very different from knowing someone well enough to work with...

Over the years, I've met many people at powwows and ProZ.com conferences, from a previous in-house position, etc. Some of which I've stayed (loosely) in touch with, some of which I'd say I've become well acquainted or even friends with. But I wouldn't necessarily know every one of them well enough to work with as they may w
... See more
I interpreted this as "how many people have you met in person who work as translators?", which is very different from knowing someone well enough to work with...

Over the years, I've met many people at powwows and ProZ.com conferences, from a previous in-house position, etc. Some of which I've stayed (loosely) in touch with, some of which I'd say I've become well acquainted or even friends with. But I wouldn't necessarily know every one of them well enough to work with as they may work in other language combinations.

Also, over the years I've worked with people again and again on projects whom I've never met but whose quality of work is such that I'd pass their name on to companies who ask if I know other EN>DE translators for (potential) projects. Do I know them? Well, at least I know their work ethic...
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glad to see I'm in the majority section again Jul 17, 2009

3-10 jolly good fellows is enough for me, or, as the saying goes in Spanish, "Dios los cria y ellos se juntan"...

[Edited at 2009-07-17 15:14 GMT]

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 18:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
0.5, or more like 0.25 Jul 17, 2009

John Cutler wrote:

My .5 person is a French woman who has helped me several times with translations into French, but she's not a fulltime translator, hence, the .5. Although not a translator per se, I work with her because she does a conscientious job and my clients are happy with her work.

The only translator I know in person is not a fulltime translator; she's 0.5 writer, 0.25 translator and 0.25 something else.

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 02:47
Portuguese to English
Just the one Jul 17, 2009

She's an inhouse translator for a multinational. I see her a couple of times a week, but only because I give her conversation classes, although we often end up talking about translation!

Ioanna Orfanoudaki
Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Greek
+ ...
Couldn't agree more... Jul 17, 2009

with Interlangue, being a member of CBTIP myself!
Being a member of a professional association helps a great deal, and sharing the (pleasant and unpleasant) experience with colleagues - as well as work, every now and then - can only be mutually beneficial!
Translators of the world, unite!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
>20, perhaps too many to count Jul 18, 2009

If I take the question at face value, then I know more than 20 translators in person: the colleagues I attended university with, fellow members of the local translators' association, ex-colleagues at my former inhouse job, and quite a few others I've met along the way.

If the question is meant as "how many other translators do you (I) know well", then the number is much smaller, and smaller still if I had to say how many of them I've worked with.

Greetings
... See more
If I take the question at face value, then I know more than 20 translators in person: the colleagues I attended university with, fellow members of the local translators' association, ex-colleagues at my former inhouse job, and quite a few others I've met along the way.

If the question is meant as "how many other translators do you (I) know well", then the number is much smaller, and smaller still if I had to say how many of them I've worked with.

Greetings

Andrea
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 21:47
Member (2003)
French to English
Definitely more than 20, possibly too many to count Aug 3, 2009

By now I know plenty of translators, from translation studies and from various conferences and seminars, plus I know other from having worked with them on projects. Some have become friends, and I have a friendly relationship with quite a few others. I guess I could count them if I wanted to, but definitely more than 20.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many other translators/interpreters do you know in person?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »