Poll: Do you often receive calls from clients at inappropriate times?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 18, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you often receive calls from clients at inappropriate times?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. F
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you often receive calls from clients at inappropriate times?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Melanie Kastner
Melanie Kastner  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:08
French to German
+ ...
...unappropriate? Jul 18, 2009

What exactly would you qualify as inappropriate? Calls outiside (the local) business hours? Or calls when I'm busy?

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:08
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Phone calls are very rare here Jul 18, 2009

I hardly ever get calls from clients. The vast majority either use email only or Skype, and as I have my emails sent through to my mobile, I always reply immediately so this method works well.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
No Jul 18, 2009

If/When it is inappropriate (whatever the reason), the answering machine takes care of the call. A general message on Skype and/or automatic reply to emails takes care of other means...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:08
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I think it means Jul 18, 2009

Melanie Kastner wrote:

What exactly would you qualify as inappropriate? Calls outiside (the local) business hours? Or calls when I'm busy?

calls at 3am in your country when the caller is 12 hours ahead or behind.

In my case, I used to get calls at inappropriate times, but not anymore. I hardly give my phone numbers to clients. A simple email would suffice.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Very occassionally Jul 18, 2009

Due to time differences. I'm 5-6 hours behind, so their working morning is the middle of my night.

More often I get phone calls Fridays, beginning at 4:30 pm, for a project that must be completed
Monday morning. When I point out that I don't work on weekends, they tend to get rather touchy.
My favorite answer was the gentleman who assured me that I could complete the project between
4:30-5 Friday evening and 6-7am Monday morning...I declined.

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Rarely Jul 18, 2009

But I can always choose not to answer!

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Cell phones.... Jul 18, 2009

are great for this reason. I only give out my cell phone number and when the number comes up I can decide if I want to answer.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
no Jul 18, 2009

I receive emails, and my clients know when there is a difference in time, so they know that the first thing I do in the morning is reply!

Once I was called at 7.45 am, ok, but that was a colleague who wanted to cooperate with me on a project after I put a job offer on Proz. No problem even then, I wake up at 6.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
very rarely Jul 18, 2009

I've gotten phone calls on a Sunday at 11:30 pm. twice, from local would-be clients, so no time zone problem there. I politely replied I would check their e-mail first thing Monday morning.

Andrea

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 18:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
very frequently Jul 18, 2009

I get lots pf phone calls late at night (after 9:00 p.m. or even at 11:00 p.m.). In some cases, people call on Sundays and they would like me to do their projects o Sunday or ar least to be available to answer their calls. In some cases, they get really mad if I do not answer.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Little telephone contact with clients Jul 18, 2009

Like Victoria, I rarely get called by clients and if I do it is usually within office hours.

Victoria Burns wrote:

I hardly ever get calls from clients. The vast majority either use email only or Skype, and as I have my emails sent through to my mobile, I always reply immediately so this method works well.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Jul 19, 2009

First of all, none of my clients ever calls me on the phone.

If they are from abroad, we normally set a time which is convenient for both of us and mostly talk through Skype. When they are local, they call me at business hours, so between 9.00am and 5.00pm it's not an inappropriate time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you often receive calls from clients at inappropriate times?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »