Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many translators are there in your entire family?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:28
SITE STAFF
Jul 22, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many translators are there in your entire family?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 17:28
English to French
+ ...
2 left Jul 22, 2009

... out of 4,5. My husband and my brother died, my son decided to go for something else, after all.

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm the odd one out... Jul 22, 2009

the rest are all vets, doctors or accountants.
They don't see the fun of sitting at the computer working through pages and pages of text every single day, but we do, don't we?

Alessandra Russo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:28
English to Italian
+ ...
4! Jul 22, 2009

We are four at the moment, two couples: my uncle&aunt and me&my partner.
I believe that my sister is going to join us in a few years (she's still a student).

I think it is something that runs in the family. Also my mother chose to study languages and loved it, although she ended up doing something else.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm the only one Jul 22, 2009

All the rest studied science at university level (there are engineers, two mathematicians, a doctor, a chemist, a physist and an architect). Two people studied art and a cousin and I studied humanities and language (I am a translator and she's a linguist).

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
My sister and her son Jul 22, 2009

One of my sisters and I took advantage of our early bilingualism and went on to study languages. She is also on proz, and often teaches translation courses at her university. Now her son, also multilingual, translates part time, usually from French.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 Jul 22, 2009

My father (who worked as a translator and interpreter for German companies before he assumed other responsibilities), my brother's girlfriend (a medical translator) and me.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
4 Jul 22, 2009

3 of my cousins are translators too.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:28
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
1-1/3 Jul 22, 2009

I answered 2 in the poll, but I am the only career translator in the family. My daughter is a bilingual kindergarten teacher who does some translating on the side, particularly in the summer. No one else in the family has ever shown more than a casual interest.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2: professionally Jul 22, 2009

I think it runs in the family too.

Currently: professionally 2 - me and my sister. She is not a freelancer - works for an IT giant.

Though to some degre or another we are involved.

My mother and grandmother had multi-lingual jobs.
Come to think of it - my father too.

Here at home: my husband (civil engineer & multi-lingual techncial author) is also tri-lingual he would be tetra-lingual if he would bother to practice a little and due to current lack of work in construction trade is working largely as technical author these days and often assists with liguistic phrasing and explanation of texts in his field. Lately he has a couple of large comissions technical transation/writing - but as it's not his preference, I don't think it will last - he's not a computer/office guy & definitely not in summer.

My sons (bi-lingual - aged 5 and 2.5) perform excellent simulatenous interpretation between grandparents, great grandparents, visiting cousins, visitors at home and on the street (now summer and tourist season there is a need) . It seems from nature or observation they have 'it' whatever the 'it' is - though their decision on profession is a long long way off. I think the younger one may well follow on in my footsteps though ...

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm the only one in this generation, AFAIK Jul 22, 2009

... but the question made me think back in time. Mom was a trilingual lexicographer. My aunt was on a dictionary committee, and my grandfather seems to have been a government in-house... (that wasn't his title, but he translated - and a pretty exotic combo, too).

Everyone else was a lawyer, chartered accountant or judge. Except the psychiatrist. But that's the extended family.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Other Jul 22, 2009

Oh my, this is complicated... For me, the best answer would be "1.5 + some minor fractions"
The 1.0 is me, the.5 is my eldest daughter who's just trying to get established, and a fraction is the middle one who did quite a lot of translating by way of crowdsourcing during her school years and enjoyed it far more than homework even if she chose a different course at the uni. Another fraction is my husband who helps me with simpler texts just to ease my load.
And historically, there was my mother who for years acted as an in-house translator and interpreter beside being the company accountant. She was a natural, having no formal training in languages, not to speak of translation.

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:28
Japanese to English
Two Jul 23, 2009

My brother is also a translator. We live in different countries now but same language combination. He also has a profile on Proz but I've never "seen" him here... :-S

Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 19:28
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I'm the only one Jul 23, 2009

I'm probably the only freelance translator who is both female and Saudi, at least here on Proz.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
the only one Jul 23, 2009

of course there could be one somewhere i don't know about. I'd have heard. "your cousin so and so is also a translator!"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many translators are there in your entire family?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search