Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your screen setup?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 25, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your screen setup?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc)

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, se
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your screen setup?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc)

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:17
English to French
two screens Jul 25, 2009

Given the current price of flat screens and double-head video cards, why limit screen space on desktops?
I have had this setup for many years and could no longer work without.

Philippe

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:17
French to English
one screen but large Jul 25, 2009

I only have one screen, but it is large, 20 inch, and high resolution: Viewsonic VP2030b.

Bruce

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
One is enough... Jul 25, 2009

... I know it would be better with two, but I like to be flexible at office and take it with me

Mabel

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
German to English
Two screens Jul 25, 2009

I added a second monitor when I bought a new computer a few years back. Both monitors are relatively large (20 inch, 24 inch). It's very convenient to have my CAT tool and primary reference material on one monitor, the source document and browser on the other. It may be purely psychological, but I'm convinced that this setup has enhanced my productivity.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:17
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 Jul 25, 2009

One screen is enough to me, too. Human eyes can not hold a very wide vision as an elk.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Just one, most of the time Jul 25, 2009

When in dire need, I use the computer next to me too, and its screen. Usually one screen will do, but with multiple windows open...

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:17
Spanish
+ ...
Usually 2 + 1 laptop monitor Jul 25, 2009

I have 2 19" external monitors connected to my laptop, which works as a third screen. When I'm not working, one external monitor is more than enough, there's no need to have the other two switched on. But when I have a project, those extra monitors really make a difference. In the first monitor, I keep the actual project in the application I'm using (Studio, Word, SDLX); the second one is for email, the browser with the online references and searches, all the reference material in other files (l... See more
I have 2 19" external monitors connected to my laptop, which works as a third screen. When I'm not working, one external monitor is more than enough, there's no need to have the other two switched on. But when I have a project, those extra monitors really make a difference. In the first monitor, I keep the actual project in the application I'm using (Studio, Word, SDLX); the second one is for email, the browser with the online references and searches, all the reference material in other files (like pdfs, glossaries, screenshots, original files, simulators, etc); and the laptop monitor has all the electronic dictionaries, including Multiterm, on each area of the screen, that way they're all opened at the same time. It really makes a huge difference, I mean, not having to switch between windows saves me a lot of time. Like Philippe said, monitors are really affordable now and it's really worth the investment.

I'm traveling right now, so I'm forced to work on my laptop only and it feels weird now that I'm used to having the extra setup.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
2 or 1 Jul 25, 2009

I use 2 when I have to work on the PC, in which case I use the Mac for all other functions besides the CAT.
Normally, I just use the Mac for everything. It's fast, I know where everything is organized, and I love the keyboard.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Normally two Jul 25, 2009

I used always to print out the source text, but since I fitted a second screen about 18 months ago, I put up the source text (pdf, tiff or whatever) on the second screen and do the translation on the first one. This saves paper and is also better because the source text can be zoomed if necessary (often useful for handwriting).
I also have a laptop, and once or twice I have used this for Internet reference material, but usually I use the same screen for that as for the translation.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Could not face one alone. Not never, no more. Jul 25, 2009

I know a few peers who use three...

Don't really have the desk space for three, but I could be up for it. Maybe screw the third one higher up on the wall?

On a lighter note, NJATB recently solicited views of peers' workspace on Twitter, and you can see the results here: http://njatb.blogspot.com/2009/05/and-winner-is.html - then hit: 'Click on the link to v
... See more
I know a few peers who use three...

Don't really have the desk space for three, but I could be up for it. Maybe screw the third one higher up on the wall?

On a lighter note, NJATB recently solicited views of peers' workspace on Twitter, and you can see the results here: http://njatb.blogspot.com/2009/05/and-winner-is.html - then hit: 'Click on the link to view Translator's desks')

(I have to confess that the wide screen I posted was exercising economy with the truth).

Cheers
Chris
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 23:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also use three screens Jul 25, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I have 2 19" external monitors connected to my laptop, which works as a third screen. When I'm not working, one external monitor is more than enough, there's no need to have the other two switched on. But when I have a project, those extra monitors really make a difference. In the first monitor, I keep the actual project in the application I'm using (Studio, Word, SDLX); the second one is for email, the browser with the online references and searches, all the reference material in other files (like pdfs, glossaries, screenshots, original files, simulators, etc); and the laptop monitor has all the electronic dictionaries, including Multiterm, on each area of the screen, that way they're all opened at the same time. It really makes a huge difference, I mean, not having to switch between windows saves me a lot of time. Like Philippe said, monitors are really affordable now and it's really worth the investment.

I'm traveling right now, so I'm forced to work on my laptop only and it feels weird now that I'm used to having the extra setup.

I also have 2 19" external monitors and the laptop, which works as a third screen. Even if I am not working, all my monitors are on. Having one screen dedicated to a different type of applications is very time-savings.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
just the one... Jul 25, 2009

...and only 19" after my 21" CRT died a sudden death 2 years ago and I had to go out and buy a new affordable monitor without doing the necessary research. Can't wait to buy a new computer when Windows 7 comes out and get a huge mean widescreen monitor. Never considered to have a second one, I think I'd end up with a crick in my neck if the screen wasn't right in front of me. But 19" is way too small, particularly when using SDLX with termbase, minibrowser, properties, differences and TM window ... See more
...and only 19" after my 21" CRT died a sudden death 2 years ago and I had to go out and buy a new affordable monitor without doing the necessary research. Can't wait to buy a new computer when Windows 7 comes out and get a huge mean widescreen monitor. Never considered to have a second one, I think I'd end up with a crick in my neck if the screen wasn't right in front of me. But 19" is way too small, particularly when using SDLX with termbase, minibrowser, properties, differences and TM window open. The fact that I like a large print doesn't make it any easier either.Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
2 screens of equal size plus laptop sometimes Jul 25, 2009

I started using 2 screens a couple of years ago, and couldn't do without them now. I even go so far as to take one with me if I'm going away with the laptop.

I now use 2 x 22" TFT so that I don't have to keep resizing when shifting windows from one to the other. Both screens are LGs with a very narrow border (about 1.5 cm) so that I can even put a window across 2 screens if necessary. I sit with the right-hand side of the primary screen in front of me and the second screen to the ri
... See more
I started using 2 screens a couple of years ago, and couldn't do without them now. I even go so far as to take one with me if I'm going away with the laptop.

I now use 2 x 22" TFT so that I don't have to keep resizing when shifting windows from one to the other. Both screens are LGs with a very narrow border (about 1.5 cm) so that I can even put a window across 2 screens if necessary. I sit with the right-hand side of the primary screen in front of me and the second screen to the right of the first. If necessary, my laptop is on my left.

E-mail + Transit/main application + original doc (Word/PDF) are on screen 1, Explorer + PDFs + Internet Explorer + Langenscheidt + Word doc for comments on screen 2.

Having such large screens, I usually divide each into halves so that 4 programs are visible at the same time. I save an amazing amount of time because I don't have to swap between windows as often.

I upgraded my computer at the beginning of the year and I tried to get a 3-screen option. I was told I needed 2 video cards to do this. However, in the end I decided there simply wasn't enough space on my desk for 3 permanent screens, my copy holder and the desk lamp. Looking out of the window was more important for my peace of mind!
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
English to French
+ ...
Just a large one Jul 25, 2009

A flat, large one is enough for me. As Gillian said, I prefer to look outside from time to time than having two or three screens in front of me!
However, I wouldn't work on a small screen anymore. Whenever I have to do it, I just hate it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your screen setup?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »