Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you charge extra for translating on weekends?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 25, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you charge extra for translating on weekends?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Luisa Duarte

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inf
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you charge extra for translating on weekends?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Luisa Duarte

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 09:26
English to French
+ ...
No Aug 25, 2009

Any day is a day. My customers do not resent me taking a "long week-end" from Monday through Thursday either!

BTW, I suppose you mean the Christian week-end (Saturday and Sunday)? What if my customer belongs to a different religion (or if I do)? Other places other ways!

[Modifié le 2009-08-25 10:00 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course not! Aug 25, 2009

The best part about being a freelancer is having the freedom to set your own schedule and make your own rules, meaning to be able to work wherever and whenever one needs to..

Sibylle Gassmann
Sibylle Gassmann  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 25, 2009

I don't when I decide by myself to work on weekend, so this depends from my own organisation. But I do if customers send a translation job Friday evening and they want it Monday early morning

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope Aug 25, 2009

As a freelancer, one of my selling points is the fact that I provide a 24/7 service.
Nine-to-five, weekday jobs are for the rest.
I may however charge extra for absurdly demanding deadlines or ill-thought-out formats (PDFs etc)...

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other Aug 25, 2009

I don't normally work weekends and do not accept any weekend jobs, which is why I answered Other. Fortunately, I have never been asked to do any weekend rush job by any of my existing clients.

If I do work weekends, it's either because of bad or deliberate planning on my end, not because of a request from a client.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:26
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no Aug 25, 2009

if they offer, well that's something else.

I usually try to avoid working on weekends if possible. But if I do work weekends, it's another work day so there's no reason to charge extra. I can always take a day off during the week.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes and No Aug 25, 2009

No: if I'm working over a weekend by choice, for instance if a 5,000 word job comes in on a Wednesday for the following Monday morning, and I take it knowing full well I won't be able to start until the weekend because of my prior commitments. I can always take other days off to compensate when I want to.

Yes: if I'm contacted on a Friday evening and the job is genuinely urgent, for instance because of an application to arrest a vessel in port before it leaves. In that case, everyon
... See more
No: if I'm working over a weekend by choice, for instance if a 5,000 word job comes in on a Wednesday for the following Monday morning, and I take it knowing full well I won't be able to start until the weekend because of my prior commitments. I can always take other days off to compensate when I want to.

Yes: if I'm contacted on a Friday evening and the job is genuinely urgent, for instance because of an application to arrest a vessel in port before it leaves. In that case, everyone (the lawyer for the applicant, the bailiff, the translator, etc) is springing into action at short notice and we're all charging extra for doing so.

[Edited at 2009-08-25 13:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sabrina Ciserchia
Sabrina Ciserchia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course I do! Aug 25, 2009

It's a general practice, and most translation agencies around the world charge extra when they are asked for a weekend job.

I obviously mean work sent on Friday to be delivered on Monday (however, I try not to work on weekends).

Sarah Silva
Sarah Silva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Weekend work should be chargeable Aug 25, 2009

I answered 'other' because I've only once accepted a legitimate rush job that needed to be done over the weekend and the customer offered a rate accordingly.

Since then I haven't taken on any weekend work but have worked an afternoon or morning at weekends when I've wanted to get ahead on a project or need to make up time for early finishes on Fridays!

I do think that weekend work should be chargeable though, in-house translators would surely be paid overtime for such
... See more
I answered 'other' because I've only once accepted a legitimate rush job that needed to be done over the weekend and the customer offered a rate accordingly.

Since then I haven't taken on any weekend work but have worked an afternoon or morning at weekends when I've wanted to get ahead on a project or need to make up time for early finishes on Fridays!

I do think that weekend work should be chargeable though, in-house translators would surely be paid overtime for such work and weekends are valued rest days where home life is a priority.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 25, 2009

A lot of my clients are M-F agencies that understand a weekend is normally free time, for the family. Hence, they factor this into their estimates when negotiating deadlines.

I quote my output at 3,000 words per day. That means 15,000 in a week and a surcharge on overtime (weekends included). If, given these terms, for any reason whatsoever, I happen to deliver earlier, that's my own call.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Work Anytime Aug 25, 2009

As NielMac says, Nine-to-five, weekday jobs are for the rest (the "herd").

I love getting a good translation job to do over the weekend: less interruptions, more concentration.

So if you see me goofing off during the week, that's my privilege because my work is already done.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
depends Aug 25, 2009

Like many others, if I choose to work on the weekend because of my schedule, then I don't charge extra.

However, I do charge if the job comes in Friday afternoon (and they've arrived after 4:30pm) for Monday am.
I may do chores etc during the week, but my daughter is in school M-F, and the weekend is time for me to spend with her. Not with my computer.

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
no if by choice, yes if asked by client Aug 25, 2009

Like many of you, I only charge extra whenever the customer really asks me to work during the weekend. If it's my own choise to work during the weekend (because I took on too much work), I don't.

It's amazing though how afraid translators are to ask a fair price for their work. Apparently, quite a lot of translators don't charge extra to work during the weekend, which is definitely not good for the translation business on the long term. Ever tried to get a plumber help you out on a
... See more
Like many of you, I only charge extra whenever the customer really asks me to work during the weekend. If it's my own choise to work during the weekend (because I took on too much work), I don't.

It's amazing though how afraid translators are to ask a fair price for their work. Apparently, quite a lot of translators don't charge extra to work during the weekend, which is definitely not good for the translation business on the long term. Ever tried to get a plumber help you out on a Sunday? Or made an appointment with your lawyer on Sunday morning 9am? At least here in Belgium, you would be charge at least twice the normal rate, if they want to help you at all! So I really do not see why a freelance translator wouldn't charge extra for weekend work. Besides, agencies aren't so afraid of charging their end customers all the extras they can get. Why would a freelance translator (if working through them) leave that extra profit for the agency, while it's the translator who does all the work?
For some reason, translators don't feel their work is actually worth money, it seems. Pretty sad, if you ask me.

[Edited at 2009-08-25 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Munari
Cristina Munari  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes I do Aug 25, 2009

Sibylle Gassmann wrote:

I don't when I decide by myself to work on weekend, so this depends from my own organisation. But I do if customers send a translation job Friday evening and they want it Monday early morning

I agree with Sibylle, weekends are calmer days so sometimes I decide to work on weekends,
but customers are usually willing to offer an extra for a rush job sent on Friday to be delivered on Monday morning.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you charge extra for translating on weekends?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »