Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever dreamed that you were working on a translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 26, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever dreamed that you were working on a translation?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
Local time: 08:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Came up with a good translation, too! Aug 26, 2009

But then again, I have a second life at night. Some people claim they never dream, but I can't imagine that.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One night I even translated Japanese poetry... Aug 26, 2009

... and I cannot understand a word of Japanese, let alone translate it. What a prolific imagination!

Mijo Schyllert
Mijo Schyllert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nightmares...daymares Aug 26, 2009

A few times I have spent the night dreaming about translations I have been working on during the day - when they have been particularly frustrating and bugging translations in terms of bad coding, corrupted TMs, lots of DTP involved with tables that move around, and other things like that. So not really dreaming about the translation itself, I guess, but about the bugs surrounding it!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:56
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
not quite Aug 26, 2009

but about a week ago, I dreamed that I got an email from a translator about a job, of a technical nature. It was a real translation/writing business!
wouldn't you know it. That day there was an email about a potential job FROM THE GUY IN THE DREAM! however, as it turns out, it wasn't really a good job for me. Which is strange. That type of dream has happened to me before. However, I can't help wondering why i had this dream and then it was kind of a 'false lead'....well i guess dreams aren
... See more
but about a week ago, I dreamed that I got an email from a translator about a job, of a technical nature. It was a real translation/writing business!
wouldn't you know it. That day there was an email about a potential job FROM THE GUY IN THE DREAM! however, as it turns out, it wasn't really a good job for me. Which is strange. That type of dream has happened to me before. However, I can't help wondering why i had this dream and then it was kind of a 'false lead'....well i guess dreams arent movie trailers for your life!!!
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Chaos dreams Aug 26, 2009

I occasionally have chaotic dreams in which my pair becomes mixed up with other languages that I do not know and so the meaning of sentences becomes hidden from me. This will be accompanied by bizarre results being returned for google searches, i.e. in different languages to the search text.
I guess it is one of the dreams where your brain tries to practice for an emergency.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:56
English to German
sort of Aug 26, 2009

Usually when I'm really, really busy and work part of the evening, I tend to spend the night typing, in fact, typing tends to be at the forefront of my mind on those days, which feels quite weird while having a conversation or watching a film...

And I often speak other languages in my dream, though normally only those I have some knowledge of

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Aug 26, 2009

But I often close my eyes at night and see my computer in my mind. Then I go to sleep and dream about Facebook!

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
not quite a nightmare Aug 26, 2009

I dream of typing nonsense into colored boxes (verfluchte CAT tools), which is far from restful.
I tend to watch some type of visual program to avoid this.

marie-christine périé
marie-christine périé  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I keep pressing Alt/+ Aug 26, 2009

For those who don't work with Trados: it's the shortcut used to close segment/open next segment...

So it's not really translating, just the technical side of translation - not my favorite part, but not quite a nightmare either!

C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
quite often multilingual dreams Aug 26, 2009

Yes !

I tend to find myself in all sorts of situations where I have to translate a few words for other people (tourists in the street, for instance).

In real life, I translate from EN into FR... well, in dreams, I can easily translate from Swahili into Spanish (both languages I only know a few words of) or other strange combinations like that.
But most often, I help out English-speaking foreigners to go around their daily business in France... my "normal" translat
... See more
Yes !

I tend to find myself in all sorts of situations where I have to translate a few words for other people (tourists in the street, for instance).

In real life, I translate from EN into FR... well, in dreams, I can easily translate from Swahili into Spanish (both languages I only know a few words of) or other strange combinations like that.
But most often, I help out English-speaking foreigners to go around their daily business in France... my "normal" translation pair

A famous one was explaining to the beautiful Wolverine (yes, from the movie !!!) what the cheese called "cervelle de canut" exactly was... talk about wild imagination

Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
If I work late Aug 26, 2009

If I work past 9 at night, I translate all night in my sleep. I can't find translations of simple terms and the screen goes blank at crucial moments in my dream. The next day I'm useless because I haven't slept well.

I'm much better off starting my day early and clearing my mind after dinner.

Mohamed Gaafar
Mohamed Gaafar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 09:56
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes I do and I often speak other languages in my dream Aug 26, 2009

Rebekka Groß wrote:
And I often speak other languages in my dream, though normally only those I have some knowledge of

It is the same here, But with a minor variation, the languages I speak sometimes I have no Knowledge of. Mostly in different places or countries with a new life. The positive side of it .Is that when I wake up all the hard/uncertain terms that are working in the background of my mind usually are solved and fixed with a solid proof why I'm going to put it this or that way. This only happens when I am very deeply involved/ admiring or haunted by the author/original text.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The old Vicror Borge joke Aug 26, 2009

The late but grat Danish comedian used to tell that he had bought a course with some special devices to learn Chinese while he slept, and he had already taken all the lessons.

A friend asked him if he could actually speak Chinese, to which he replied: "Yes, but only in my dreams!"

Christina Bergmann
Christina Bergmann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, definitely some weird night-time work Aug 26, 2009

It's not just translation I dream of, but also proofreading.
And I've had both nightmares and good dreams. Trados crashing being one of the most frequent - wonder why ...

And a few times since I started translating I have translated while I was actually asleep. I went to bed with an open translation job and in the morning I've found a translation of this job.
And there was almost nothing to change except for a few misplaced letters!
A real *dream translation*... See more
It's not just translation I dream of, but also proofreading.
And I've had both nightmares and good dreams. Trados crashing being one of the most frequent - wonder why ...

And a few times since I started translating I have translated while I was actually asleep. I went to bed with an open translation job and in the morning I've found a translation of this job.
And there was almost nothing to change except for a few misplaced letters!
A real *dream translation*
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever dreamed that you were working on a translation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »