Poll: How many hours do you spend at ProZ.com per working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 14, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you spend at ProZ.com per working day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Balaban Cerit

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you spend at ProZ.com per working day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Balaban Cerit

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:07
Member (2006)
German to English
All depends Sep 14, 2009

I always have ProZ running in the background because of KudoZ for double checking. And of course, because of the quick polls:-)

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
That goes for me, too Sep 14, 2009

KudoZ is always one of the open tabs, but that's not necessarily "time spent here", so the question is difficult to answer.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Difficult Sep 14, 2009

Seldom more than 5 or 6 spare minutes at once but several times a day...

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
as above Sep 14, 2009

it's usually in the background so that I can consult it quickly when needed.
Then if it's not a busy moment I might answer the poll!

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:07
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
As above Sep 14, 2009

As seems to be the general trend here, I usually have Proz running in the background and may consult it anything between 3 and 30 times a day for Kudoz, to check powwow information, consult the Blue Board, etc.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
it depends Sep 14, 2009

Sometimes for activities with colleagues more than one hour, sometimes five mins.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Proz tab open Sep 14, 2009

Like the others, I very often have a Proz tab open in my web browser when I'm translating, mostly to look things up on Kudoz - so several hours per day, depending on how much translating I do.

But the amount of time I actually spend on the Proz site would rarely amount to more than an hour in one day.

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rarely Sep 14, 2009

I rarely open ProZ because there simply is no need for it. For the people that keep a tab open for Kudoz there is a simpler solution: download the Kudoz Toolbar! Very nice gadget!

Cheers to all,

Peter

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
English to French
+ ...
More than six hours?!? Sep 14, 2009

To those who spend more than six hours on this site, my question is this: how do you find the time to work?

I probably spend about half an hour each day on this site, although some days I don't visit it at all and some days I spend several hours, especially when I am doing research on topics of interest. I, like many others, also visit a few minutes at a time, several times a day.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Different criteria Sep 14, 2009

ViktoriaG wrote:

To those who spend more than six hours on this site, my question is this: how do you find the time to work?

I suspect people were answering the question according to different criteria. I answered with the number of hours I have Proz open on my computer on a working day, but a lot of people presumably answered according to how much time they actually spend looking at the site.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 14, 2009

I don't consult proz every day.

Annett Brown, MBA, CT
Annett Brown, MBA, CT
United States
Local time: 10:07
German to English
Work Place vs. Market Place Sep 15, 2009

ProZ defines itself as a "workplace" first and a "market place" second (see intro video). From this standpoint, I use ProZ for hours and hours during my translation work (e.g., checking glossaries), but as a market place probably less than than an hour a day, i.e., a few minutes here and a few minutes there. Be that as it may, it is always available to me. If I am not at my desk, I have it on my iPhone.

keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:07
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As above Sep 15, 2009

Like most people, I have it open all day while translating as well as an online dictionary, wordreference.com, Google, my email... - a workday could be anything from 1-12 hours depending on the workload.

I use the Kudoz regularly to look up terms and I also like answering the polls!

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:07
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

That's my "strategy", too ;) Sep 15, 2009

Michael Harris wrote:

I always have ProZ running in the background because of KudoZ for double checking. And of course, because of the quick polls:-)

That's it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours do you spend at ProZ.com per working day?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »