Poll: Do you reply to every new inquiry you receive (by email) about your availability/services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 3, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you reply to every new inquiry you receive (by email) about your availability/services?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Reply to agencies Oct 3, 2009

I don't bother to reply to agencies that have my details in their database already but clearly don't check before blanket e-mailing. Smacks already of sloppy.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:55
German to English
+ ...
Almost all Oct 3, 2009

I almost always reply to enquiries. I have occasionally ignored messages that were not personally addressed to me and where I didn't think I was the right person for the job.

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost always but... Oct 3, 2009

There is one large agency that always sends me mass emails and if the job doesn't appeal (it usually doesn't) then I sometimes don't reply. In this situation I don't think they really expect or want a reply, unless I actually want to do the job. However in all other circumstances I do reply. I think it is polite and also means they are more likely to keep you in mind for the next job, whether you do the current job or not.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Selective Oct 3, 2009

I do not reply to mass mailings, emails designed to elicit bids for the lowest possible price, or offers that are too ridiculous for a serious professional to contemplate. And, of course, I don't answer scamming/phishing attempts...

I do answer emails that are directed to me to solicit information in a respectful, professional way, without giving me the impression that I am here just to be exploited. Emails asking for "your best rate" get deleted: my rates are my best rates, and tha
... See more
I do not reply to mass mailings, emails designed to elicit bids for the lowest possible price, or offers that are too ridiculous for a serious professional to contemplate. And, of course, I don't answer scamming/phishing attempts...

I do answer emails that are directed to me to solicit information in a respectful, professional way, without giving me the impression that I am here just to be exploited. Emails asking for "your best rate" get deleted: my rates are my best rates, and that is the proper place for a respectful professional relationship to start.

[Edited at 2009-10-03 15:24 GMT]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 02:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with David Oct 3, 2009

I'm selective, too. If a person (not an agency) writes to me (not a mailing list) with an inquiry, I answer. Blanket or automatically generated emails? If I have time, I read it before deleting. Once in a great while, if it appears interesting and I'm not already swamped with work, I will follow up, but so far it has never led to anything.

Right now I'm swamped with work, so a glance at the preview pane is all that the non-personal emails get from me.

Abraham Abukar
Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
at time by calling. Oct 3, 2009

If the project sounds interesting, I just pick up the phone and I give them a call. Much easier.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Only if personally addressed ... Oct 3, 2009

... and within a reasonable price range. There's no point in clogging an agency's e-mail with a negative reply to a mass mailing. Jobs offering a single-digit rate are also ignored.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If it's directed to me personally, absolutely! Oct 3, 2009

I'm not familiar with the mass mailings people are talking about. If the message's salutation has my name in it, I always answer.

My answer usually includes my rates and conditions, to save everyone's time.

Only about 10% of those inquiries turn into jobs, but I'm always open to building my client base.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
As a matter of courtesy Oct 3, 2009

even if it is not addressed to me personally.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes Oct 3, 2009

Even though the only mass mailings I ever get come through Proz, sometimes with nonsense requirements like "Belgian French". I usually advise the sender to check my availability on the site before sending this type of mail. Or is that functionality just decorative?

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Selective also Oct 3, 2009

I rarely reply to mass mailings, save when the project looks really interesting; and I definitely don't answer them when they ask to "please reply with your best rates".

I do answer all personally addressed e-mails, even if/when I have a strong hunch that nothing will come out of it (extremely informal mails, little information if any, etc.).

Greetings,

Andrea

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Selective, also Oct 3, 2009

David Russi wrote:

Exactly!
I almost always answer personally addressed e-mails, except when the offered rates seem to be a joke.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Generally agree with David and Muriel Oct 4, 2009

I reply to all e-mail personally addressed to me that does not offer an insulting rate. I generally don't respond to "cattle calls" and actually find these rather irritating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you reply to every new inquiry you receive (by email) about your availability/services?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »