Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you offer discounts for large projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
Member (2009)
French to English
Alarm bells Oct 14, 2009

I have not agreed to requests for quantity discounts because, like HIlary, I have found that these requests travel in bad company. They are usually accompanied by poor Blue Board ratings, long payment terms, and inconvenient payment methods.

Now for an agency that offers me good work, and in quantity, I have been known to round generously.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe, if it's a client I want to cultivate Oct 14, 2009

I recently gave a discount for a large job in exchange for a generous deadline AND it was a client I wanted to cultivate: the office originating the document rather than an agency, in a subject area I really enjoy.

The investment paid off. I enjoyed the work, received additional assignments, and was given a high recommendation.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... in some cases Oct 14, 2009

On some types of project I do ...
Only in some fields I work in - technical, IT, telecom, do I often have large projects. whether I will consider a discount depends on:

a) the project
Many of my large projects are repetitive and also similar to each other, so with tools, templates and glossaries - I can effectively work much faster at the same standard, in which case I'd often consider a discount when requested, this, however, depends on b).

b) payment b
... See more
On some types of project I do ...
Only in some fields I work in - technical, IT, telecom, do I often have large projects. whether I will consider a discount depends on:

a) the project
Many of my large projects are repetitive and also similar to each other, so with tools, templates and glossaries - I can effectively work much faster at the same standard, in which case I'd often consider a discount when requested, this, however, depends on b).

b) payment behaviour and payment term
(My client base is fairly fixed at the moment) - so my customers are more or less all regulars and, to be completely honest I always consider the payment behaviour especially as the large projects can continue over months - so payment can be very far off, even if the client always pays on time ....
(e.g. ever paid late - no chance, payment term 45, 60, 60+ days - pretty unlikely, pay immediately - consider it)
Collapse

Marita La Palm
Marita La Palm
United States
Local time: 02:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't make sense Nov 17, 2009

I don't see why a longer project should be paid less. It requires a more cohesive writing style in that it has to make sense throughout the long work and not just the paragraph or letter or whatever. I tend to think it deserves a better rate, and it is the type of project I like to engage in because I love to write.

Inaki Alvarez
Inaki Alvarez
Spain
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
No... Dec 2, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

For all the reasons that everyone else has stated.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer discounts for large projects?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »