Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your preferred payment method?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 2, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your preferred payment method?".

This poll was originally submitted by Αlban SHPΑTΑ

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, s
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your preferred payment method?".

This poll was originally submitted by Αlban SHPΑTΑ

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:34
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Should have included Nov 2, 2009

gold bullions.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:34
Member (2006)
German to English
Bank transfer Nov 2, 2009

within Europe where no charges are allowed to be made and Monebookers for the rest of the world

Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How or when? Nov 2, 2009

In this day and age, often when is more important than how, imvho

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
No charges for bank transfers in Europe? Nov 2, 2009

Michael Harris wrote:

within Europe where no charges are allowed to be made and Monebookers for the rest of the world

Really? My French bank charges me 16 euros for transfers to/from European accounts (including to French accounts).

Melanie Wittwer
Melanie Wittwer  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:34
English to German
+ ...
Depends Nov 2, 2009

Bank transfer within New Zealand and in Germany (where I still have an account) and paypal internationally .

[Edited at 2009-11-02 09:24 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check (cheque) Nov 2, 2009

I'd say bank transfer, for the simplicity of it, but I've been paying as much as US$35 in bank fees. I don't like the PayPal charges, either. However, those are the methods used most often by my clients.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other continent other ways Nov 2, 2009

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I'd say bank transfer, for the simplicity of it, but I've been paying as much as US$35 in bank fees. I don't like the PayPal charges, either. However, those are the methods used most often by my clients.

On a cheque of 127 US$, my bank in Europe gave up some of the charges: they amounted to 132 EUR, not including the conversion charges. On a bank transfer, I deduct from my invoice the 25 US$ my client in North America complains about, and am charged here a flat rate of 35 EUR. Conversion costs come later.
Within Europe there are no charges for transfers. Cheques are no longer garanteed and charges to cash them have become very expensive.

[Modifié le 2009-11-02 09:54 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-11-02 09:56 GMT]

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
Paypal Nov 2, 2009

Bank transfer within Japan (no charge), and paypal for the rest of the world. The good point with paypal is that you can choose when you draw money (when the rate is better).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
If by bank transfer Nov 2, 2009

... you mean via internet, I can send and receive transfers by my online account with no charges. This is how I prefer to receive payment nowadays.
One of the banks I use is IngDirect, which operates mainly online and I'd recommend. I don't know about charges outside of Europe though.
As someone else mentioned already, prompt payment is a big plus...
BTW, to the best of my knowledge most French banks "take the piss" even when transferring between their own branches, for example
... See more
... you mean via internet, I can send and receive transfers by my online account with no charges. This is how I prefer to receive payment nowadays.
One of the banks I use is IngDirect, which operates mainly online and I'd recommend. I don't know about charges outside of Europe though.
As someone else mentioned already, prompt payment is a big plus...
BTW, to the best of my knowledge most French banks "take the piss" even when transferring between their own branches, for example between France and Spain. My advice is to close your accounts with money-grabbing banks like these and move to an online service.

[Edited at 2009-11-02 10:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-02 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Change the bank Nov 2, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

Really? My French bank charges me 16 euros for transfers to/from European accounts (including to French accounts).

I would change your bank because this against European laws!! (at least from Germany)
Check it out.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Bank transfer within EU Nov 2, 2009

Although I have notieced that the EU laws doesn´t seem to apply to English banks, so bank transfers from England cost me the equivalent of about 20 Euros to receive.

PayPal I try to avoid as much as I can, esp if the sum is large, Moneybookes I accept when the payment is cheaper with them than with bank transfer depending on how large the sum is and which country my client is in. Xoom I am very happy with, the cheepest option I have found for transfers from the US. One of the VERY
... See more
Although I have notieced that the EU laws doesn´t seem to apply to English banks, so bank transfers from England cost me the equivalent of about 20 Euros to receive.

PayPal I try to avoid as much as I can, esp if the sum is large, Moneybookes I accept when the payment is cheaper with them than with bank transfer depending on how large the sum is and which country my client is in. Xoom I am very happy with, the cheepest option I have found for transfers from the US. One of the VERY few advantages with PayPal is that I can have different currencies as once there so I withdraw whenever the exchange rate is favourable.

Checks are impossibly expensive in Sweden, we haven´t used them generally for decades and depending on what kind of check it is, it costs at least 50 Euros to cash it, and never less than 25% of the total sum so I never accept that payment method.

Very interesting question, this one by the way!
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No bank charges on incoming transfers Nov 2, 2009

I regularly receive bank transfers from Spain, the UK, Belgium, and Japan - and my Spanish bank has never charged me a euro cent.

However, the bank once charged me 35 euros for depositing a Canadian cheque. Sorry - but no more Canadian clients.

Added: In fact, now that I think about I realise that only one European client has ever paid me by cheque. And these cheques stopped after the company went bankrupt last year.

[Edited at 2009-11
... See more
I regularly receive bank transfers from Spain, the UK, Belgium, and Japan - and my Spanish bank has never charged me a euro cent.

However, the bank once charged me 35 euros for depositing a Canadian cheque. Sorry - but no more Canadian clients.

Added: In fact, now that I think about I realise that only one European client has ever paid me by cheque. And these cheques stopped after the company went bankrupt last year.

[Edited at 2009-11-02 11:06 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Charges Nov 2, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

I would change your bank because this against European laws!! (at least from Germany)
Check it out.

Hi again

I just found this on a forum. It says a bank cannot charge more for transfers between EU countries than for a transfer within the same country.

Fabien wrote:
J'ai entendu parlé d'une "directive" europeen qui interdit de prendre des frais lors de virement d'un pays zone euro vers un autre. Est ce que quelqu'un a déjà entendu parlé de cette directive? Ou trouver le texte?

Non, aucune gratuité n'est imposée:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/fr/oj/dat/2001/l_344/l_34420011228fr00130016.pdf

RÈGLEMENT (CE) No 2560/2001 DU PARLEMENT EUROPÉEN ET DU CONSEIL
du 19 décembre 2001 concernant les paiements transfrontaliers en euros

Article 3
Frais applicables aux opérations de paiement électronique transfrontalières et aux virements transfrontaliers

1. À compter du 1er juillet 2002, les frais facturés par un établissement pour les opérations de paiement électronique transfrontalières en euros d'un montant maximum de 12 500 euros sont les mêmes que les frais que cet établisse-
ment prélève pour des paiements en euros de même montant effectués à l'intérieur de l'État membre dans lequel il est établi.

2. À compter du 1er juillet 2003 au plus tard, les frais facturés par un établissement pour les virements transfrontaliers en euros d'un montant maximum de 12 500 euros sont les mêmes que les frais que cet établissement prélève pour des paiements en euros par virement de même montant effectués à l'intérieur de l'État membre dans lequel il est établi.

3. À compter du 1er janvier 2006, le montant de 12 500 euros est porté à 50 000 euros.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Transfer charges Nov 2, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

That might be because your clients have chosen to pay all charges relating to the transfer (as indeed they should), not because your bank doesn't charge any fee for it. I've made international bank transfers within Europe myself (and in Italy at least they certainly are subject to charges): I was given the choice among all fees charged to payer, all fees charged to recipient and fees split between payer/recipient (i.e. payer pays charges at payer's end and recipient pays at recipient's end).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your preferred payment method?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »