https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/151391-poll_do_you_usually_work_on_more_than_one_project_at_a_time.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually work on more than one project at a time ?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 20, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually work on more than one project at a time ?".

This poll was originally submitted by Terejimenez

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more i
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually work on more than one project at a time ?".

This poll was originally submitted by Terejimenez

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends - but I like to do that Nov 20, 2009

It makes for a nice break to go back and forth between jobs. I feel as if I'm accomplishing more.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Usually ... Nov 20, 2009

I usually finish one job and start the next job before going back for a final proofread of the previous job. I usually start research or glossary on another project, on say for example a coffee-break, or to clear my head, while I'm working on something else.

Just as Muriel said above, I find it as good as a rest, especially if the projects are in a different language combination or field.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Nov 20, 2009

In principle I concentrate on just one job at one time. I feel that the work I am doing deserves my undivided attention. The only exception may be if I am working on a very large job and something tiny comes along that I can squeeze in.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:51
German to English
+ ...
Almost invariably Nov 20, 2009

Even if I'm working on a mammoth job, I like to take on other little projects to break it up a little. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:51
English to Italian
sometimes Nov 20, 2009

it depends: in case I have a long project and some small ones, then I do both... I don't like that. If deadlines allow, I finish one and start the other.

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu
Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Yes Nov 20, 2009

Whenever I take a break, I have a look and translate a few phrases on some other project, but only when the deadline for the project I'm working on is not tight. If it's tight, I can't stop before finishing it.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Nov 20, 2009

I like to finish a draft of one text then switch to another, coming back to the first one later. This gives you some distance from the text, so that you can approach it with fresh eyes. I often have several smaller projects with longish deadlines on the go at the same time, and if I'm working on a long project, I like to accept other small jobs to have a bit of variety (for my own sanity, more than anything else!).

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
do small projects right away if possible Nov 20, 2009

A very common scenario is that I'll have one longer project I'm working on (full day or more), and a request to translate some little birth certificate or transcript will come in. I've found that for me--if deadline pressures will at all allow--it's better to take 30 minutes and just knock it out and then get back to the bigger project, just so I don't forget about the little stuff in a sea of major commitments.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Nov 20, 2009

All the time!!!

Most often, I have both (or the three) translations open, translate some pages of one then pass to the other when I want some variation. It's really rare for me to only work on one document at a time. It's mostly two, but every now and then I work on three and even four at the same time.

It's amazing how quickly the brain can adapt to changes and think "Ok, from the technical text now to the business document", and puts aside the technical terminology, m
... See more
All the time!!!

Most often, I have both (or the three) translations open, translate some pages of one then pass to the other when I want some variation. It's really rare for me to only work on one document at a time. It's mostly two, but every now and then I work on three and even four at the same time.

It's amazing how quickly the brain can adapt to changes and think "Ok, from the technical text now to the business document", and puts aside the technical terminology, momentarily acquiring a mental business glossary.
Collapse

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Always Nov 20, 2009

Given that I edit, translate and interpret, I am always working on different projects at a time.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Nov 20, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

Even if I'm working on a mammoth job, I like to take on other little projects to break it up a little. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 20, 2009

... but maybe I got the question wrong. I DO take small jobs in the middle of bigger projects, but don't open two files to work on them at once. (For interpreters, it's akin to the dictum of having only one mouth). So: one type of output at a time, one language combination at a time, and one direction at a time...

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
step by step Nov 20, 2009

and bit by bit - one has one head with two eyes to see it better:

Once or twice I was too young to take a little project with several 'mini'-projects...
No wondering I've grown up a little)

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:51
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes usually Nov 20, 2009

i often have two going at the same time, and if I have a large project going on, I'll take small or rush jobs if I can.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually work on more than one project at a time ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »