Poll: Do you take a break before proofreading your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 07:07
SITE STAFF
Nov 21, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you take a break before proofreading your translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by Estelle Demontrond-Box

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Rezehana
Local time: 16:07
English to Albanian
+ ...
Always Nov 21, 2009

I always take a break for at least 20 minutes before proofreading a document I’ve just translated. It helps me regain my strength, rest my mind and eyes and increase my concentration levels.

Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:07
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Whenever possible Nov 21, 2009

Like most, I’m sure, I find it helps to take a break so I can look at the translation with a refreshed mind and also try to read it as though through somebody else's eyes. Ideally I will sleep on it, but when there’s no time then I will often jump in the shower, go for a run or do something else to clear the mind. Menial tasks like housework seem to do the trick. I've heard of authors using similar tactics when they get writer's block.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always Nov 21, 2009

Too early to tell, but this seems to be a strong trend so far.

I really need to approach proofreading with fresh eyes.

A professional monolingual proofreader once told me that the way to avoid mistakes is to make two passes: one for sense and the second one for typos and style. It's hard to separate the two, but when I manage to do this successfully, fewer problems slip through my fingers. Now if I have just been deep into the translation process, that adds a third layer of confusion and it will be that much harder for me to see the mistakes.

[Edited at 2009-11-21 09:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-21 09:42 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A break from that text, yes Nov 21, 2009

I'm sure most, if not all, of us will agree that that's necessary.

However, I don't necessarily take a break from work - that's not always possible

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I always take a break Nov 21, 2009

before proofreading (ideally one day, a few hours in most cases) and I always read the printed text out loud at least once before handing it in.

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Usually Nov 21, 2009

But sometimes the deadline is too tight and it's not possible. But I definitely prefer to take a refresher break.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 21, 2009

But I should imagine that virtually all who have answered thus do so with the caveat that they would ideally always take a break. Can't imagine anyone not recommending it.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
always Nov 21, 2009

one day, if possibile, otherwise I start another job and after a few hours I go back to the proofreading. You see things differently when you leave it for a while.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:07
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
absolutely Nov 21, 2009

i finish the translation and then do something else, like fold the laundry or domestic chores. Also, I like to take the laptop away from the desk and sit on the couch with it when I proofread. I need a change of place!

Paul Kachur
Germany
German to English
+ ...
even a ninety-second rest for the eyes... Nov 21, 2009

Even with a looming deadline, it is best to rest the eyes and relax the concentration for a minute or two before sitting down to proofread.

[Edited at 2009-11-21 15:16 GMT]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:07
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Print it Nov 21, 2009

If the document is not too long, I print it and look at it several hours later or the next day. I almost always find errors or things that can be improved in the printed version that I did not see on the computer screen.

Gudrun Maydorn  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Always Jan 3, 2010

Like Simon Bruni I prefer to have a night's sleep before proofreading the text with fresh eyes the next morning. On the rare occasions when the deadline is too tight, I at least have a cup of tea away from the desk. And proofreading is worth it - I always find something to improve.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you take a break before proofreading your translations?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search