https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/151742-poll_how_many_different_email_accounts_do_you_have.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many different email accounts do you have?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 25, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many different email accounts do you have?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many different email accounts do you have?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:30
English to Italian
3 Nov 25, 2009

My first one, only my friends from University use it.
One was for personal and work emails, but because it has become full, I have transferred all the work-related emails to my new one, which I have set up after my web-site was on-line.
So now I use one for personal emails and one for my job.

regards

Rezehana
Rezehana
English to Albanian
+ ...
2 Nov 25, 2009

I try to keep my life as simple as possible… I have one private account communicating with friends and family (which I've had for many years now) and one account for work. I probably couldn't maintain that many accounts

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
6 Nov 25, 2009

It's my filing system!

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
4 Nov 25, 2009

One for work
One for friends
One for subscribing to non-work mailing lists
One in the hope of finding two lost cats
http://leblogdelecoleduchatdebordeaux.kazeo.com/Chats-perdus/PERDU-JOE-ET-CIACCIA,a752158.html

Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
English to Norwegian
3 Nov 25, 2009

One for private purpose
One for business purpose
One (hotmail) for online forms on web sites I think may produce spam. (Download pages and so on)

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
German to English
+ ...
1 Nov 25, 2009

Just the one account. I have two e-mail addresses that I give out, but they all come through to the same place, and all my e-mails go out from one address.

Can't see why I'd need more. I had a hotmail for a while too but it lapsed because I never used it.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
like having multiple address for mail Nov 25, 2009

I said I got three, and sometimes I ask myself why I have all of them.
Basically I think it's a matter of virtual space, I mean attachments can be big, and I keep translations sent by email for 2 years on my account (you know, sometimes messages need to be forwarded to clients....if problems arise), so I chose to divide work and personal accounts.

at the end of the day having more than that is like giving 30 different addresses for the post.

My first one is there
... See more
I said I got three, and sometimes I ask myself why I have all of them.
Basically I think it's a matter of virtual space, I mean attachments can be big, and I keep translations sent by email for 2 years on my account (you know, sometimes messages need to be forwarded to clients....if problems arise), so I chose to divide work and personal accounts.

at the end of the day having more than that is like giving 30 different addresses for the post.

My first one is there just because some of my old friends still send me emails there, even though I have told them more than once that they should use my personal account.

Question for thos who have mor than 3, how do you manage them? I mean don't you waste time when you check all of them?
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Filing system Nov 25, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

It's my filing system!

I have 5 accounts and they are my filing system as well.

One for friends and family.
One for business (translating)
One for business (writing)
One for general private use.
One for a charity site I maintain.

They used to be 6 accounts, but one provided stopped their service.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly like you! 3 accounts Nov 25, 2009

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

One for private purpose
One for business purpose
One (hotmail) for online forms on web sites I think may produce spam. (Download pages and so on)

Only the third one is a Gmail account instead of Hotmail, and not only used to collect spam but also to be able to check my account from a remote place, in case of emergency. And it has been configured in such way that I can redirect the important messages to my main account.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Ads, etc. Nov 25, 2009

Gianluca Marras wrote:

(...)

Question for those who have more than 3, how do you manage them? I mean don't you waste time when you check all of them?

I have one and only paid (expensive) account (with my ISP), which is slow, unreliable, too small, etc. Their Webmail function is totally unefficient (files limited to 2 mega for instance), they do not even offer a spam filter nor automatic reply service, so I created another (free) Webmail account where all that mail is automatically forwarded. It comes in handy when my main account (also Webmail and free) is down - does not happen very often but always at wrong timing. That is 3.

I kept an older account to give when I need to register on a Website or in shops, to receive their ads by mail instead of hardcopy post.
Another account yet to receive newsletters and so that are not related to work (press, etc.) and a last one that was started as a joke but I kept it up and sometimes give that one to get newsletters about travel offers. A total of 6.

2 are open permanently when I am at my desk. One I never open directly as mail is forwarded. The others are checked when press articles are due to arrive, before I go shopping, attend a cultural event or travel. Saves the trouble of sorting out and the risk of letting important mail slip by because it is drowned in all the rest

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
2 but 3 different addresses Nov 25, 2009

- one for private purpose
- one for business purpose
- I have an email address which has the name of my website, but all mails send to this address arrive in my business box. I can change the "from" address, which is quite practical

Janina Dörnath (X)
Janina Dörnath (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
2 Nov 25, 2009

I have one e-mail account for private and business purposes. It has a 1 GB memory so I can keep quite a lot of mails in there. Every 3 or 4 months I have a look at the old e-mails and decide what to save on an external hard disk drive (mostly business) and delete the rest.
The other e-mail acount is an older one which some friends still use, and I also use it as a back up, if my first one doesn't work (which is not very often).

[Edited at 2009-11-25 13:48 GMT]

3 Nov 25, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:

One for work
One for friends
One for subscribing to non-work mailing lists
One in the hope of finding two lost cats
http://leblogdelecoleduchatdebordeaux.kazeo.com/Chats-perdus/PERDU-JOE-ET-CIACCIA,a752158.html

Minus the last one. I don't have lost cat.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:30
Member (2009)
French to English
5ish, depending on how you count them. Nov 25, 2009

1. My first account set up during college with an email address which is, at least, less embarrassing than some classmates have chosen. My family still uses this one as they can't get used to the idea of changing.

2. A second account name for account #1, but this time with my initials.

3. A "professional" account which is [email protected]

4. A gmail account named "wanderjenn" for when I am
... See more
1. My first account set up during college with an email address which is, at least, less embarrassing than some classmates have chosen. My family still uses this one as they can't get used to the idea of changing.

2. A second account name for account #1, but this time with my initials.

3. A "professional" account which is [email protected]

4. A gmail account named "wanderjenn" for when I am wandering.

5. Two old account names on systems which I no longer use which are forwarded to the first account.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many different email accounts do you have?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »