Poll: In general, how often do you invoice translation companies?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:47
SITE STAFF
Nov 30, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, how often do you invoice translation companies?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:47
Member (2008)
English to Italian
different agreements Nov 30, 2009

I have different agreements with all my clients, translation companies included.
Anyway, invoicing can be:
- at the end of each project
- at the end of the month for all the projects done in that month

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
German to English
+ ...
End of month Nov 30, 2009

I generally invoice new customers on delivery of the first project, just to get the payment wheels in motion sooner. But as a rule I invoice at the end of the month for all projects completed within that month, unless specifically asked to do otherwise.

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Once a month Nov 30, 2009

As a rule, who ever the client, except for private individuals who want their birth certificate translated, for instance.
Sometimes (intercontinental customers) upon reaching a certain amount, in order to keep flat rate bank costs as low as possible.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Depends on the company and their pay terms. Nov 30, 2009

I tend to gather invoices and send them at the end of the month. I have an agreement to bill one agency monthly, and have had similar agreements with others, so I often tidy up all outstanding invoices in one session. (Guess what I'm doing today. )

One agency pays me within a week for the last month's work, which is nice. Most pay me after 30 days, but some have a clause about paying at the end of the month AFTER the month when they receive the invoice. I invoice them immediately after delivering the job, to make sure no extra months end in between!

I sometimes bill new clients immediately, especially if they send the job in the first half of the month. If their score is less than 5 overall on the Blue Board, and I have decided to work for them anyway, I do not wait too long before sending the invoice either.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:47
Turkish to English
+ ...
Upon completion of every project Nov 30, 2009

Unless the translation company requests otherwise, I send the invoice as an attachment along with the translated file when I deliver the work.

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Same here! Nov 30, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

I generally invoice new customers on delivery of the first project, just to get the payment wheels in motion sooner. But as a rule I invoice at the end of the month for all projects completed within that month, unless specifically asked to do otherwise.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
At the end of the week Nov 30, 2009

or when I have time (sometimes every two weeks)

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
It really depends on the client Nov 30, 2009

Two agencies use automated systems to invoice after each project.

One agency requests collected invoices at the end of the month, but since I don't always work for them enough to justify the bank fees, I sometimes go two months before invoicing.

Several other agencies prefer collected invoices bi-weekly, or weekly.

I work intermittently for a number of other clients/agencies, so I invoice on a project basis.

I *always* invoice a new client immediately.
Upon successful payment, we negotiate the payment schedule.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:47
English to German
it depends on various factors Nov 30, 2009

- on the size of the project: If a project runs over several months, I'll probably receive a number of purchase orders and will invoice at least once a month. If projects are small and I can reasonably expect other projects from the same company within a few days, I wait to invoice several projects at once instead of sending invoices for very small amounts - chances are that they pay such invoices together anyway.

- the payment date of the company: If companies pay after 30 days and do not have just one or two payment rounds a month, I invoice after every project (depending on project size)

- agreements with companies: I've only ever come across one company that specifically asked for invoices to be sent by a certain date at the end of the month only. Naturally, I would respect their wishes (though depending on the date I deliver a project, probably only grudgingly )

Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Depends on the client and on how much time I have Nov 30, 2009

My biggest client send me once assignment every week and I invoice him once every 3-4 months.

If it is a new client I will send an invoice togehter with the first delivery to quickly learn if they are good payers or not.

Apart from that I tend to send invoices when I have time, after the client owes me a large enought sum to send an invoice, or in case it has been a long time since I last sent an invoice (I seldom wait more than 3 months in that case).

Sometimes I send invoices so that the inflow of money shall be convenient for me if I plan to buy expensive equipment or go on a long holiday.

I rarely send an invoice each month to the client, but it depends. At the moment I am "holding" several invoices, waiting for next year where it will be better taxwise to have a larger income than this year.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends on the agency Dec 1, 2009

Depends on the agency's perference, some per job, some monthly, some quarterly.

But at least quarterly ... otherwise my book-keeper might start to shout ....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, how often do you invoice translation companies?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search