Poll: Can you handle more than one project in different language combinations at the same time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:48
SITE STAFF
Dec 26, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Can you handle more than one project in different language combinations at the same time?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lakshmi Datar

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 12:48
English to French
+ ...
Depends Dec 26, 2009

... on their size: 1 huge job and a snack (a page or 2) now and then are fine. Several smaller jobs (up to 5-8 pages) used to be fine too, even in different languages about different topics - but I have not done that for a while. I suppose I still could if necessary.

Diego Carpio
Argentina
Local time: 07:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 language pair only Dec 26, 2009

In Spanish, there's a saying that goes "quien mucho abarca poco aprieta", a saying that someday I'll post it on the Kudoz in order to learn the English equivalent. I really don't think one can engage in such a project without neglecting quality.

Happy New Year.

Diego.

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Other Dec 26, 2009

I wrote Other, becaus I do one translation after the other. When however, a small job comes in, I might interrupt the bigger job in order to do the smaller one.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-26 13:51 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, sometimes... Dec 26, 2009

if I am working on a huge job, but I would avoid mixing languages when possible...

Happy New Year to you all!

Teresa

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All the time Dec 26, 2009

Yes.

In fact, I regularly receive projects that contain documents in multiple languages (surveys, customer letters, etc.). This is convenient for the PMs because they can assign the whole job to one person rather than having to split the job up between 3 or 4 translators. It is also great when a large project in one language contains a paragraph or a page or two in another language and this does not have to be assigned to someone else as a minimum fee job. In addition to my working pairs, I also study other languages and can handle a sentence or two in Dutch or Russian.

[Edited at 2009-12-26 17:33 GMT]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Dec 26, 2009

... and pardon me for being literal, but I understood the question in the sense that an interpreter, for instance, doesn't charge extra for knowing more languages because he has only one mouth...

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As long as it's the same target language Dec 27, 2009

I find it refreshing. I enjoy the change, just as I enjoy alternating between projects. As long as I'm translating into my native language, it's not a problem to mix the source languages.

Many of us code-switch all the time. When I lived in Mexico I spoke Portuguese with my husband, translated into English, and spoke Spanish on the street and among my friends. I never felt that one language suffered because I was using the other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Can you handle more than one project in different language combinations at the same time?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search