Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you keep up-to-date business cards on hand?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:00
SITE STAFF
Jan 5, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep up-to-date business cards on hand?".

This poll was originally submitted by Julianne Rowland

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 14:00
English to French
+ ...
I have them... Jan 5, 2010

... but tend to forget them at home, even when I attend professional events.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I keep a few in my wallet Jan 5, 2010

In practice, they come in handy when I'm buying stuff from a new supplier and need an invoice. I never remember to take a proper supply to events, either, so there are a few more tucked away in my computer carrying case.

Giles

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Always Jan 5, 2010

I always have a few in my wallet.
Well, my answer is a bit biaised because at the moment, they are not exactly up to date: I moved house recently, and I am planning to move house at least twice next year, so I'll make new business cards only when I know where I'll be staying in the end.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
other Jan 5, 2010

I don't have any.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2010

I may have some old, out of date ones on me sometimes. Have been meaning to get some new ones done for over a year now but haven't quite got round to it yet. No pressing need for them anyway.
I'm considering having 2 sets done - one for business purposes and one for personal/social relations, as sometimes the two are not compatible.
But really, with all the technological gunk surrounding us nowadays, aren't printed business cards a sort of throwback to earlier days, like the antimacassar?

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
No Jan 5, 2010

I don't use business cards

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Re Jan 5, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

I always have a few in my wallet.
Well, my answer is a bit biaised because at the moment, they are not exactly up to date: I moved house recently, and I am planning to move house at least twice next year, so I'll make new business cards only when I know where I'll be staying in the end.

Mine do not mention my physical/postal address, only emails, phone (landline only), fax and Skype.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:00
German to English
+ ...
I have some Jan 5, 2010

but don't carry them with me, and to be honest I can't remember ever handing one out to a professional contact. I've given them out to save spelling out my address, etc.

I also have some personal cards which are way more useful as they have directions to our house on them.

If somebody wanted more information about my services, I'd probably just suggest that they Google me!

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2010

I assume that probably all interpreters have business cards to hand, but that translators who don't interpret, don't (because of the different working environments).

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2009)
French to English
Yes, definitely Jan 5, 2010

I have hundreds of them and I have been surprised by all the times that they have come in handy.
As an example, I was recently chatting with a fellow parent as our children attended a birthday party. As it turns out, he works for a large NGO and when he found out that I was a French to English translator, he asked if I had a card. I found out later the next week that said NGO had just won a contract with an African francophone country. It may come to nothing, but I am glad that I keep my business cards on me. It is not difficult. I have a small case which I stick in an outer pocket of my purse. I have also put backup stacks in the inner pockets of my winter coat, my laptop case, and my notepad.

The business cards don't cost much (I highly recommend www.vistaprint.com) and after I have them, it becomes a game to distribute them.

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2010

I don't have any.

Most frequently contact details requester has an electronic device to record the details quickly on it.
But in other occasions I have my phone number and my e-mail, written on the back of receipt, at the header of the newspaper, in the last page of a student notebook which makes me consider having one.

Mariam

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sounds really handy for a burglar Jan 5, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

I also have some personal cards which are way more useful as they have directions to our house on them.

One handbag snatch, Mary, and your local burglars will be round to your house clearing it out before you've got there on foot (not having the keys to your car).

Personally, I find my business cards (giving my name, activities, phone no and email) come in very handy. I have obtained new business on several occasions that way - the last time was when I went to buy a new window!

Everyone who runs a business is a potential client; everyone you meet on a personal basis also has (or knows people who have) a professional life - you simply can't tell who could be a potential client. Electronic versions are all well and good but aren't much use at a school fête or in a shop.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
... Jan 5, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Mary Worby wrote:

One handbag snatch, Mary, and your local burglars will be round to your house clearing it out before you've got there on foot (not having the keys to your car).

I'm not organised enough to carry around them with me, just take a couple on occasion when I think I might need them. Besides, I always keep my car keys in my pocket in the event of such an eventuality!

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Jan 5, 2010

I used to have business cards, but I don't seem to have any use for them any more. To me, they're kind of like fax machines...outdated. I work at home and never go to networking events, so why would I need a business card? I do everything via e-mail.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep up-to-date business cards on hand?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search