Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you blog?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 17, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you blog?".

View the poll results »

Fabio Said
Fabio Said  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I proudly do Jan 17, 2010

I have a blog, and it's only about translation, interpreting and related topics - not about my dogs, my plants, my cooking skills, my daily life as a human being etc.

My translation blog has been running for almost 3 years now. I post mostly in Portuguese, but also in English and German. The interface is in English, and post titles are translated into English whenever the subject may be of interest to an English-speak
... See more
I have a blog, and it's only about translation, interpreting and related topics - not about my dogs, my plants, my cooking skills, my daily life as a human being etc.

My translation blog has been running for almost 3 years now. I post mostly in Portuguese, but also in English and German. The interface is in English, and post titles are translated into English whenever the subject may be of interest to an English-speaking audience.

This is my blog's URL:

http://fidusinterpres.com
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
no time and... Jan 17, 2010

I have no time to do that, I tried once, and then I thought, why should people be interested in my posts?
What I mean is, having a blog, and making it interesting and a sort of source of discussions takes time, and that is my idea of blog, and I do not have the time to do that.

Otherwise, if I just prefer to disclose my ideas, - unidirectionally - I'll do what I have been doing for about 10 years = write poetry and send it to publishers, sometimes they like it sometimes they d
... See more
I have no time to do that, I tried once, and then I thought, why should people be interested in my posts?
What I mean is, having a blog, and making it interesting and a sort of source of discussions takes time, and that is my idea of blog, and I do not have the time to do that.

Otherwise, if I just prefer to disclose my ideas, - unidirectionally - I'll do what I have been doing for about 10 years = write poetry and send it to publishers, sometimes they like it sometimes they don't.
If they do, my poems are available to people.
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I do Jan 17, 2010

But nothing related to translation. I live away from my family at the moment, so I have a blog just for them, to keep them posted about my life here. I'll stop it as soon as I'll be back.

Many translators have a blog about translation, it seems to be fashionable those times, but honestly speaking, I find that very few of such blogs are of any interest.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
no time either Jan 17, 2010

And considering the hours I already spend sitting in front of the computer, I can think of other places I'd rather be in my spare time.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm warming to the idea Jan 17, 2010

I have a lot of notes around that I'd like to pull together - not organized enough to warrant a real book, so a blog might be perfect.

My dog Sunshine has a blog on Dogster.com. It's mostly about canine issues, lessons learned, etc., and it gives her a chance to vent a little about her sister ... and her mom.

Dagmar Jenner
Dagmar Jenner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Blog about the new German spelling Jan 17, 2010

Since I'm an expert in that area, I have a blog about the German spelling reform. Here's the URL:

www.neue-rechtschreibung.net

It's been online for about 9 months. Today, up to 2,000 people read it every day and it's one of the most popular blogs about German spelling out there. I receive a lot of specific questions which I then post about, offering free advice and interactin
... See more
Since I'm an expert in that area, I have a blog about the German spelling reform. Here's the URL:

www.neue-rechtschreibung.net

It's been online for about 9 months. Today, up to 2,000 people read it every day and it's one of the most popular blogs about German spelling out there. I receive a lot of specific questions which I then post about, offering free advice and interacting with the community. There is also a Facebook fan page called "Gute Rechtschreibung".

I disagree with Sophie. Actually, there are dozens of highly interesting blogs about the translation industry out there. On the ATA's web site, you'll even find a list of the top 100 language-related blogs. Blogging is a great way of getting your name out there and building a solid reputation as a linguist.
Collapse

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Honestly... Jan 17, 2010

I am not so enthusiastic about time wasting 21-st century inventions such as blogs, hi5's, facebooks or facenotes.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
No, I don't blog... Jan 17, 2010

But I am fairly active in forums (or should that be fora?) on the various translation platforms. I guess I am more inclined to respond to topics than to invent topics...

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, me too Jan 17, 2010

I like to write in general, I suppose like many translators, due to the obvious language/writing nature of our profession, so I started a blog that is supposed to be both about translation and other personal topics, but to date I have written mostly about translation/language-related topics (I have short-term plans to start developing more the personal topic area).

That is, though I love my work, I also love a good number of many other things, so I don't see a problem at all to als
... See more
I like to write in general, I suppose like many translators, due to the obvious language/writing nature of our profession, so I started a blog that is supposed to be both about translation and other personal topics, but to date I have written mostly about translation/language-related topics (I have short-term plans to start developing more the personal topic area).

That is, though I love my work, I also love a good number of many other things, so I don't see a problem at all to also blog about other topics that may enable me to connect with or get in contact with people who have similar interests.

I usually post only an article per month, depending on my other professional/personal activities, basically because I try to keep my blog "bilingual" (in English and Spanish), which does demand, in general, some time to prepare the blog articles (though some articles I leave in only one language, depending on the topic, and in other cases, where the text turned out really long, I have included a link to the Google MT website translation).

To me it's basically a great source of fun, learning (including learning about the use of IT language programming such as CSS or HTML) and human interaction. Though I can hardly boast of super-heavy traffic of my blog, I do get a considerable number of visitors/readers and I have established some really interesting contacts through the blog, both professional and personal.

In the blogging sphere you obviously have all kinds of possibilities, from the super-"professional" to the super-amateurish, so it is obviously/entirely up to you to decide what you want to make of it, both as a reader and as a writer of blogs.

On the other hand, I don't think blogging is any different than participating in forums, especially in the case of people who like to write long postings in forums. To me it is just two different forms of communication.

Here is the link to my blog:

lapsustranslinguae.wordpress.com/

Have fun blogging if you decide to start a blog yourself,

Ivette
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 15:34
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Mine is about Spanish<>English Legal Translation Jan 17, 2010

I like blogs-both reading and writing them. I find them to be a welcome addition to cyberspace. They are available to everyone, yet they are not as "real time" as other online phenomena such as Facebook and the like. You have to ponder a bit before writing them, and when reading them, you can make comments, but do not necessarily receive immediate feedback. From my experience, this leads to a more thoughtful and thought-provoking process.

When I get the time, I write in my Spanish L
... See more
I like blogs-both reading and writing them. I find them to be a welcome addition to cyberspace. They are available to everyone, yet they are not as "real time" as other online phenomena such as Facebook and the like. You have to ponder a bit before writing them, and when reading them, you can make comments, but do not necessarily receive immediate feedback. From my experience, this leads to a more thoughtful and thought-provoking process.

When I get the time, I write in my Spanish Legal Translation (www.legaltrans.blogspot.com) blog.

I like to record all the peculiarities that I come across in the U.S. and Latin American legal systems (you would be surprised what I find) and comment them. I enjoy reading all the comments other translators have, and I also find that putting my thoughts in writing gives me greater insight into what I do: Spanish-English legal translating.
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic: forums/fora Jan 17, 2010

Theo Bernards wrote:

But I am fairly active in forums (or should that be fora?) on the various translation platforms. I guess I am more inclined to respond to topics than to invent topics...

The online Merriam-Webster dictionary entry of the word "forum" includes both forms of plural: forums and fora. See www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
I do, but not about translation Jan 17, 2010

I have a newly founded blog which is about all of my various interests and hobbies. I actually refrained from making a blog for a long time because of the emphasis on making your blog a promotion tool. The idea of a business driven blog meant that it would be work, rather than an escape from work. On the other hand, I do read a lot of translation blogs and appreciate the people who take the time to write them.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Yep! Jan 17, 2010

Nothing to do with translations, it's only for a laugh, really, but I have quite a few faithful readers

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Yes, but... Jan 17, 2010

Unrelated to translation. I blog on a product I invented, just in case I get bored with translation one day.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you blog?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »