Poll: How long in advance do you schedule work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:51
SITE STAFF
Feb 11, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long in advance do you schedule work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Toralf Mjelde. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:51
Member (2006)
German to English
www.proz.com/polls/5834 comments Feb 11, 2010

Depends:
I usually have a few larger projects that run over a few weeks / months that enables me to take on jobs "in-between"

I always try to plan over the long run

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:51
German to English
+ ...

It depends! I schedule it as far in advance as it is offered. Sometimes that's from one day to the next, other times weeks in advance. Currently, my furthest deadline is at the beginning of next month, but that's unusual.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...

If there's anything in the world that's unpredictable, it's incoming translation work. I have a client that gives me long jobs with loose deadlines, and often I book myseslf a daily word-quota for those that still leaves me time to accept the smaller ones.

Ken Fagan  Identity Verified
French to English

Pre- or post-Lehman Brothers?

Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...

Most of my projects are due within under a week, so it's impossible to plan very far in advance at all. Occasionally I get some forewarning, but that's usually less than a week, too. The only thing that I can potentially plan further in advance is when I will be unavailable.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...

I don't really understand the question. My clients send me work whenever they have/want to. The only thing I can do in terms of "schedule" is try to negotiate reasonable deadlines. I always try to give my best clients (prompt payers, feedback providers, high volume, prestige...) priority by juggling the others to meet all the deadlines and aim to keep them all as satisified as humanly possible. I tend to leave "revisions/corrections" (usually academic papers prior to publishing) until last unless they too are "urgent"...

Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 21:51
English to French

I wake up every morning without knowing if I am going to get some work. As someone wrote, the only thing I can do is try to negotiate reasonable deadlines. This in fact is one thing I don't like about being a freelance translator. I never leave home more than two hours on a weekday, just to be as available as possible. I wish I could have some projects planned ahead but it seems that even my clients can't promess that ;(

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...

I have one recurring project that starts the last week of every month and extends into the first week of the following month. I also have some long term projects already planned for the summer. (yay me) And then there are the jobs that arrive in my email with a 24 hour to 1 week deadline. Those show up frequently and I adapt my schedule as they come in.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
www.proz.com/polls/5834 comments Feb 12, 2010

Rebecca, it sounds as if you have the dream job!

Valeria Ines Lagos Terrizzano
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...

It seems that for nearly 80% of those who can be bothered voting, work is nearly unpredictable. We are no exception. We have some regular clients who send us work to be done within 24 or 48 hs (we don't generally take very urgent jobs anymore) and sometimes we have long jobs that keep us busy for months at a time, while leving some time every day for those little 24hs jobs. And every possibility in between!

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...

I leave planning, scheduling and so to others - PMs, especially, one in particular. They know how far ahead I have work (for them and/or others. Sometimes, I have to remind them, when overloading gets close) and fill in the blanks. All I do is plan my day, what to do when...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long in advance do you schedule work?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search