Poll: Do you find yourself translating in your sleep?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 13, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find yourself translating in your sleep?".

This poll was originally submitted by Juliet Allaway. View the poll results »

Francisco Rocha
Francisco Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
www.proz.com/polls/8012 comments Feb 13, 2010

Yes, specially when I'm overloaded with work, they're not always nightmares but I tend to wake up worried in the middle of a dream where I'm translating.

David Wheatley
David Wheatley  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
German to English

No. Dreaming in the foreign language, yes, but not translating in and out of it whilst sleeping.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam

Only twice - as far as I can recall. Once I dreamed that I was supposed to paint my translation in large letters on the walls of a huge hall (I hate climbing on ladders...). Another time I dreamed that all the letters I typed came out in watery and runny ink on my computer screen, and that I ended up using a hair dryer to keep the letters from running down the monitor.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:41
Spanish to English
+ ...

No. It doesn't pay well enough...

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam

It is not very pleasant. Not only does it not pay, it robs you of sleep. In order to get proper rest, we need to get the brain "unwired" so it can recover properly. I have been struggling with that recently and hope to overcome it.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:41
English to Spanish
www.proz.com/polls/8012 comments Feb 14, 2010

I used to. Not any more. Don't know why. Probably I'm steadier and more secure about what I'm doing now... Might be.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
www.proz.com/polls/8012 comments Feb 14, 2010

Henry, sometimes dreaming about a translation puts the mind at rest. Dearming helps with problem-solving. The point is that it shouldn't be a nightmare.

Ilary (X)
Ilary (X)

Local time: 10:41
www.proz.com/polls/8012 comments Feb 15, 2010

Sometimes I dream about doing a translation, or simultaneous interpreting (even if I'm no interpreter, I'm a translator). It used to happen more in the past, when I was an undergraduate student... actually, now I tend to dream about talking in a foreign language (English usually), no translating involved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find yourself translating in your sleep?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »