Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you speak out loud while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Can't May 2, 2010

Rebecca Garber wrote:

When I'm tired, it helps me focus.
When the source is complex, it helps ensure that I have included all the elements and that they are in the correct order.
When I proofread.

However, I don't do any of the above if there are other people around.

I'd like to read aloud but I can't. Unfortunately, there are almost always other people around. We only have one gigantic living area that serves as lounge, dining-area and office. My husband's retired and my son is a freelance programmer working from home, so I rarely get the opportunity to read aloud - it would drive them mad!

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to German
I couldn't read a whole translation out loud... May 2, 2010

Teresa Borges wrote:

but the last quality check I do before delivering a translation is to read it out loud! It works for me...

...because I wouldn't be able to take anything in. I'm obviously not listening to myself

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:53
German to English
+ ...
Yes May 2, 2010

into my dictation machine. The real problem is when i'm talking to real people and say "Good morning, comma"!

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
dictating May 2, 2010

I speak my translation to DNS and then I have it read it back to me. I used to use Cepstral voices for that, but there is no way to use with Windows 2007. I agree that a translation needs to SOUND right...

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Mumbling whisperer May 2, 2010

I am always reading things back half out loud. Unfortunately, this seems to have spread into normal life, and my wife recently reported that a friend of hers had seen me walking the dog in the park apparently so absorbed in talking to myself that I had not even noticed her! (But in fact I had...).

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
lol, I also curse May 2, 2010

at the people who are such BAD writers that they make translations difficult, which in turn forces me to read out loud in order to make sense of something.

David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
All of them May 2, 2010

I answered "To read the target test", but in fact I think I do all of them. It helps keep me sane.
A further question to those 42.6 % who voted No (at the time I voted): Are you sure?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No May 3, 2010

... but I did mention once, the last read-through is to check how it sings.

Francisco Rocha
Francisco Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other May 3, 2010

Joanna Hald wrote:

Only, when I translate movies, and my text will be recorded as voice over. I must know if my dialogs fit to original dialogs.

Yes, this is the case when I read it out loud.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Member (2009)
French to English
I voted no May 3, 2010

David Young wrote:

I answered "To read the target test", but in fact I think I do all of them. It helps keep me sane.
A further question to those 42.6 % who voted No (at the time I voted): Are you sure?

I thought I didn't, but now you are making me wonder...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost never May 3, 2010

I hear it in my head. My voice would be a distraction.

Sometimes when I solve a problem, I'll say "Yes!!!" or "Nailed it!!" So it's a dialogue with myself, patting myself on the back, rather than speech related to the translation.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most of the above May 3, 2010

I often mutter and mumble if I have to concentrate on how to express something.
Sometimes things sound better if you read them out loud and the flow of a sentence can be as important as it's actual meaning on occasion.
I also curse and swear at the things that upset me (unwieldy PDFs, sub-standard original texts, bad translations which I am expected to "fix"...)
I'm thinking about trying voice recognition SW too, which means I'll have to speak out loud while training the SW.... See more
I often mutter and mumble if I have to concentrate on how to express something.
Sometimes things sound better if you read them out loud and the flow of a sentence can be as important as it's actual meaning on occasion.
I also curse and swear at the things that upset me (unwieldy PDFs, sub-standard original texts, bad translations which I am expected to "fix"...)
I'm thinking about trying voice recognition SW too, which means I'll have to speak out loud while training the SW.
Finally, I've recently been screaming abuse at the TV every time the politicians come on, so am trying to avoid current affairs broadcasts until the UK election is over and things get back to SNAFU...
Collapse

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Danish to English
I use Macspeech Jun 9, 2010

So, naturally, I speak out the target language. Otherwise, I would never mumble while working. I have not had the text spoken back to me. I use speech recognition software to avoid typing, and it is becoming much faster with practice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you speak out loud while translating?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »