https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/169684-poll_have_you_ever_bought_a_cat_tool_and_ended_up_not_using_it.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever bought a CAT tool and ended up not using it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 4, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever bought a CAT tool and ended up not using it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lucia Colombino. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
German to English
+ ...
Yes May 4, 2010

Having used Trados for a couple of years, I was persuaded that Deja Vu was a better system, so I bought it. I played around with it for a bit, and thought I'd tackle it in earnest when required to do so by a customer. About eight years later, no customer has ever requested it, I have got more and more used to Trados and it has done nothing but gather virtual dust!

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:46
English to Italian
never bought one May 4, 2010

.... I have never bought one, I don't need it (I am usually given translations on a paper format), so, in order to avoid the above situation....

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes May 4, 2010

Bought DV, started playing around with it and found it rather easy to get acquainted with.
Tried to build a memory with a few refence documents I had received for a job and used it for that job.
That translation was rated "poor quality" and I never used DV again!
The building up of a memory was time consuming and left too little time to go over the "finished" translation and work on style. All in all, a rather expensive experience!

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, though not "bought" but just downloaded May 4, 2010

I answered "yes" remembering that I had once downloaded the free version of "across" but never used it because I'm 100% satisfied with Wordfast. In my opinion, CAT should be as simple as possible and easy to use. Additional sophisticated options are rarely needed but often cause glitches.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No but May 4, 2010

No, but the list of gadgets including exercise equipment, kitchen ware, magazine subscriptions, book clubs, language course texts and others items I’ve purchased, and don't use, create more clutter in my office than I care to think about.

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Oh yes, Studio 2009 May 4, 2010

Trying to install, it keeps on telling me it cannot verify some files.
As there is _no_ support (except the sort you pay for), that's obviously all there is to it.

C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
No May 4, 2010

I never bought a CAT tool before beeing given a guarantee of usage.

The last one was Trados Studio 2009 - bying it brought me over 100,000 words extra work over several months and the client keeps coming back for more

Well spent money

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes May 4, 2010

Trados

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your comments May 4, 2010

Haha, lots of clutter and virtual dust here too...

I bought Trados in December, in a TGB, and have only used it to calculate the number of words on a project consisting of several files (after I suggested this poll!)... I still stick to my faithful MetaTexis with which I am so happy. But I do import TMs into Workbench regularly, I'm hoping that C. Mouton's experience will happen for me too!

C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
hope so, too May 4, 2010

Lucia Colombino wrote:

I'm hoping that C. Mouton's experience will happen for me too!

I wish you to experience it, indeed. But then, I have 15 years experience of Trados in various versions and it has helped me reach 4000 translated words per day on average... it always interests the client

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados is 15 years old? May 4, 2010

C. Mouton wrote she had been using Trados for 15 years now. Did Trados really appear as far back as in 1995? As I seem to remember, in 1995 I worked in Word 5 for DOS and could not even think of such helpful translation tools.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Studio 2009 May 4, 2010

but have not taken the time to install it because I simply have toooo much to do and have heard it is not so easy to install.
And Across is really easy to use
Have not had the need to purchase anything else

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Interlangue May 4, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

Bought DV, started playing around with it and found it rather easy to get acquainted with.
Tried to build a memory with a few refence documents I had received for a job and used it for that job.
That translation was rated "poor quality" and I never used DV again!

But what this has to do with DV? (or with any other CAT Tool) The quality of translations has nothing to do with a CAT Tool you used. It is up to you, which term should be used and how a sentence should be built.
Ewa

[Edited at 2010-05-04 18:02 GMT]
Ps. and no, bought DJV some time ago, and still enjoy using it

[Edited at 2010-05-04 19:27 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Several times May 4, 2010

I bought the license for Metatexis but never got around using it. Because I use Wordfast routinely and didn't find it necessary to learn Metatexis. Downloaded Across but could not figure out how to use it. Now I'm looking at Transit, not paid for it yet.
So really only one occasion when I spend money on a tool I didn't use.
Regards
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever bought a CAT tool and ended up not using it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »