Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Is the global crisis hitting you harder this year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sabine Sur
Sabine Sur
Switzerland
Local time: 15:28
English to French
+ ...
No May 26, 2010

The crisis did hit last year, but work level and prices are going up this year.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 08:28
Spanish to English
Decline in real earnings May 26, 2010

Thanks to declines in the exchange rates for two of my three billing currencies (EUR 18%, USD 13%), the spending power of real earnings is down.

bookwormkt
bookwormkt
Local time: 14:28
French to English
+ ...
I haven't dare make the move to doing more translation, as I have a full-time job in education. May 26, 2010

I am currently working full-time in a post that is permanent for 0.5. The extra hours may be removed soon, at which time I can take on more translation work. Until then, the hours and the travelling involved mean I have very little time for anything else!

Milestone
Milestone
English to Arabic
Not really May 26, 2010

Last year I had few months of slow work, but this year things are getting much better. Still, I'm not able to raise my prices for fear to lose clients under the circumstances.

Erik Matson
Erik Matson  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:28
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thankfully, not at all May 26, 2010

While the recession has not affected my business much at all, it was noticeable this time last year (for about three months - June, July and August, 2009).

I am happy to report that this is a thing of the past, an at least for translation in the language pair I deal with, ENG NOR, the recession seems to be a thing of the past. I have never in my career received so many new project offers on a weekly, almost daily basis as recent months!...
See more
While the recession has not affected my business much at all, it was noticeable this time last year (for about three months - June, July and August, 2009).

I am happy to report that this is a thing of the past, an at least for translation in the language pair I deal with, ENG NOR, the recession seems to be a thing of the past. I have never in my career received so many new project offers on a weekly, almost daily basis as recent months!

Fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), my client list is full, and I constantly have to turn down new clients/projects.

To all those who are stilling getting hit, HANG IN THERE! Even THIS will pass!
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:28
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no May 27, 2010

things are much better this year, although there are some clients who have not sent me work in a while, because they lost some clients during the recession. But i remember last year had more periods when things were slow and those periods lasted longer. I've gotten new clients and am making more money for sure.

Mikael Adolfsson
Mikael Adolfsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, it certainly is May 27, 2010

The job flow so far has been rather thin. Maybe companies working in the areas I specialize in (and in my language combination) are trying to reduce translation costs.
I´ve got a lot of job offerings lately on such a low budget that it´s not possible to do a decent job, which is why I had to turn those jobs down ...
I don´t remember seeing so many job offerings for such a low rate before.
And the work flow from my "old" clients have definitely been less than last year.
... See more
The job flow so far has been rather thin. Maybe companies working in the areas I specialize in (and in my language combination) are trying to reduce translation costs.
I´ve got a lot of job offerings lately on such a low budget that it´s not possible to do a decent job, which is why I had to turn those jobs down ...
I don´t remember seeing so many job offerings for such a low rate before.
And the work flow from my "old" clients have definitely been less than last year.
Last year the first few months were a bit quiet, but then all spring and summer it was a very good flow, and after my vacation I had more work than I ever had! It felt like I was working round the clock ... but it was nice.

Let´s hope it picks up during the end of this year!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is the global crisis hitting you harder this year?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »