Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do your clients usually agree with your payment terms?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I wrote "other" Jun 1, 2010

The direct clients do, as far as the agencies are concerned, it is them who set the terms of payment.

2Lingual_Steven
2Lingual_Steven  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Usually been lucky thus far Jun 18, 2010

I work with three main clients who stream me regular work and they all pay at month's end.
One invoice each within five days of month's end and they pay by the 15th. So it's flexible, really. And lots of little one-offs and friends of friends and former clients contact me from time to time, too. I get by very well on what I do and it's sufficient for me.
Two agencies on extended terms (one 60 and one 90 days) I've worked with in the past keep sending me translation proposals from tim
... See more
I work with three main clients who stream me regular work and they all pay at month's end.
One invoice each within five days of month's end and they pay by the 15th. So it's flexible, really. And lots of little one-offs and friends of friends and former clients contact me from time to time, too. I get by very well on what I do and it's sufficient for me.
Two agencies on extended terms (one 60 and one 90 days) I've worked with in the past keep sending me translation proposals from time to time but I'll be honest with you
A. They popped on my radar when I first moved back to Australia and I was struggling a bit so was taking everything I could without modifying my rates. And as I'm a woose (or just lazy) I have never renegotiated my terms with them. If I'm seriously idle I'll take a job from them, do it, mark it on my mobile phone to be invoiced and payment checked in 60/90 days' time otherwise I'll forget and leave it at that as it's nice to have a random deposit I wasn't really counting on pop into my bank from time to time (and three months is a lifetime in my world!)
B. Mostly though I've found myself not replying to their emails or turning the work down when I was in the middle of another project or simply wasn't in the mood because the payment being so far away just doesn't motivate me to put my life on hold and barricade myself in the house to work day in and day out to deliver work I'll be seeing money for next season (literally!)

So to reply to the poll my clients, gratefully and thus far, have all played the game on mutually agreed terms and those who haven't don't see much of me though they know they can count on me if I accept the project.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your clients usually agree with your payment terms?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »