https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/172318-poll_do_you_find_that_the_number_of_possible_jobs_increases_when_the_weather_is_unusually_good.html

Poll: Do you find that the number of possible jobs increases when the weather is unusually good?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 2, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find that the number of possible jobs increases when the weather is unusually good?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Drangel. View the poll results »

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:02
German to English
+ ...
Other Jun 2, 2010

Can't say that I've noticed!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, I do not think so... Jun 2, 2010

Anyway, unfortunately, you can never trust the weather in Belgium (well, it is a nice and sunny day today...)!

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
German to English
Where? Jun 2, 2010

This site is truly global and strangely enough the weather varies... No really it does!

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
No but... Jun 2, 2010

in the summer, the number of jobs does definitely increase.

I guess the reason is that most translators go on holidays, so there's a seasonal imbalance / a change of proportions between offer and demand.

Joanna Hald (X)
Joanna Hald (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Yes, but... Jun 2, 2010

Maybe I feel that way, because I'm a MC biker and when they forecast warm and sunny wather I feel urge too ride my bike and not to stay put at home by my computer ;-D

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:02
English to Russian
+ ...
That was a clear trend back in the 70-80s Jun 2, 2010

Back in the 70-80s in the former Soviet Union the number of translation jobs on offer from the Union Translation Center used to increase dramatically in summer due to vacation season. Summer was time to work hard for a freelance translator. Now the situation is either bad or very bad without any noticeable seasonal variations.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 2, 2010

It's almost always good weather here, and there are decreases too.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
yes Jun 2, 2010

I find the availability of work is conversely proportional to my availability due to family obligations or how desirable it is to be outdoors.
Murphy's Law.

There will be no work for days.
Then I take a project, and 10 more become available, immediately, but, of course, I'm already committed to the lowest paying job.

Or, I'll be home alone while it's raining/thundering/lightning/blustering/snowing/volcano erupting, etc., for a week while I have no work, then
... See more
I find the availability of work is conversely proportional to my availability due to family obligations or how desirable it is to be outdoors.
Murphy's Law.

There will be no work for days.
Then I take a project, and 10 more become available, immediately, but, of course, I'm already committed to the lowest paying job.

Or, I'll be home alone while it's raining/thundering/lightning/blustering/snowing/volcano erupting, etc., for a week while I have no work, then, as soon as the sun shines and the birds sing and my child is free from school and my friends or family are having a barbecue/party with live music and free food, etc., 5 clients throw something at me at once. Of course, since I haven't worked in a week, I knead the dough [sic] and take everything I can.
Collapse

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Always Jun 2, 2010

It is probably because I live in a country where warm and sunny weather is quite rare (Sweden) and I suppose that it is because many translators take the chance and enjoy the weather, thus creating a strong demand in such days, but during the years when I have been an active translator it has never failed: If the temperature is above 20 C there are more requests than I can ever handle...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Valeria Fuma
Valeria Fuma
Argentina
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Anthony Jun 2, 2010

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

Murphy's Law.

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Agree with Joanna Jun 2, 2010

- but I do not have an MC. However, I am an avid gardener, and whenever the weather is lovely (not all that often around here...) the jobs for some reason seem to just pour in. When it rains, on the other hand....

[Edited at 2010-06-02 18:11 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Good weather where? Jun 2, 2010

My customers are based all over Italy, Europe and North America so I would imagine that when they get in touch with a job offer, most of them are experiencing weather that is unlike whatever we're having in this rather lovely north-eastern corner of the Bel Paese.

That said, some of my clients are quite chatty, and let me know what the weather is like in their part of the world, but the reasons for their requests tend to be linked to things like publication deadlines, wine release d
... See more
My customers are based all over Italy, Europe and North America so I would imagine that when they get in touch with a job offer, most of them are experiencing weather that is unlike whatever we're having in this rather lovely north-eastern corner of the Bel Paese.

That said, some of my clients are quite chatty, and let me know what the weather is like in their part of the world, but the reasons for their requests tend to be linked to things like publication deadlines, wine release dates and upcoming product launches or other events.

Sod's Law (aka Murphy's Law) is still true, though, but it's not weather-related. I'd put it like this: "Really interesting, well-paid job offers turn up just when you're at your busiest".
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find that the number of possible jobs increases when the weather is unusually good?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »