https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/172486-poll_how_many_jobs_do_you_get_in_an_average_good_week.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many jobs do you get in an average good week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 4, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many jobs do you get in an average good week?".

View the poll results »

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 02:24
English to French
+ ...
Number of jobs does not mean much Jun 4, 2010

The actual translation work in an average week is about 15,000 words, but I may get the order form(s) a couple of weeks in advance, especially if we are talking about 100,000 words jobs, after which I have a few weeks "without getting any jobs", which does not mean I do not have any work!

Sabine Schlottky
Sabine Schlottky  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Rather useless Jun 4, 2010

I do not really get the point of this question and answered "Other" because, as a matter of fact, the number of jobs per week is a rather useless measure, isn't it?

Tania McConaghy
Tania McConaghy  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
another version of the question... Jun 4, 2010

...could be whether it is better to have many small jobs or a few large jobs, ie if the total word count is the same. We all have our preferences for job size. I mean, what is the ideal length/size of a job?

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Number is not important Jun 4, 2010

I prefer getting involved in a steady project for as long as possible, not getting many one-page jobs every week.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Dito Jun 4, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

The actual translation work in an average week is about 15,000 words, but I may get the order form(s) a couple of weeks in advance, especially if we are talking about 100,000 words jobs, after which I have a few weeks "without getting any jobs", which does not mean I do not have any work!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Jun 4, 2010

Same here, don't see the point: almost all weeks are good for me, but some have one job, some have twenty.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here... Jun 4, 2010

... and anyway I do prefer long projects!

C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
?? Jun 4, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Same here, don't see the point: almost all weeks are good for me, but some have one job, some have twenty.

I agree. I often get >30000 words jobs, so it can even be 1 per month, so the number of jobs is of no importance at all. The number of words is what counts !

And I also prefer larger jobs (less admin/preparation/delivery tasks, more translation)

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"How many" is not indicative of "good week" Jun 4, 2010

There are weeks when they come in like Tetris blocks that I don't consider good, and invoicing them becomes time-intensive...

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
Numbers are relative Jun 4, 2010

However, ideally I get 1-3 larger jobs that will keep me busy for a couple of days and a few small jobs to fill up the gaps and/or to accommodate my regular clients.
That is why I voted 7-10 jobs.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
as others have said Jun 4, 2010

Well the question is confusing:

- the number of jobs I get can be from 1 to 15 in a good week (obviously deadlines can be over several weeks), but getting orders makes the week obvisously good. and 35000 words for one job are better than 15000 for 6 jobs, aren't they

- the number of jobs I do in a very good week? I don't know, it depends on the length.
some times you translate 20000 words for 1, 2, 3 jobs....

So, let's put it this way: a very g
... See more
Well the question is confusing:

- the number of jobs I get can be from 1 to 15 in a good week (obviously deadlines can be over several weeks), but getting orders makes the week obvisously good. and 35000 words for one job are better than 15000 for 6 jobs, aren't they

- the number of jobs I do in a very good week? I don't know, it depends on the length.
some times you translate 20000 words for 1, 2, 3 jobs....

So, let's put it this way: a very good week is when I am always busy, and I know the following weeks will be busy as well.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jobs vs. words Jun 4, 2010

I've NEVER sat down and averaged out how many jobs I do in a week, probably because I've never had the time or inclination.

I do agree with those who base their calculations on number of words. For me, a good week would be 10,000 words and a great week would be 15,000. Those are all the statistics I need.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Length preference Jun 4, 2010

I prefer translations that are less than 5,000 words long. This way I can think just another day to go and it'll be done. It also means that I can accept jobs from more agencies.

BTW, I don't think it is a useless poll.

[Editado a las 2010-06-04 11:34 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 4, 2010

Glad to see it's not just me that finds the question hard to respond to. I thought it was just my usual grumpy reaction to woolly thinking.
In fact, things haven't been "average" for over a year now, as the economic downturn has changed my working habits quite a bit and I now have to look for jobs to fill in where my regular clients have wound down their activities. Some clients are actively translating fewer documents, and many agencies are getting cheap (usually non-native) translations
... See more
Glad to see it's not just me that finds the question hard to respond to. I thought it was just my usual grumpy reaction to woolly thinking.
In fact, things haven't been "average" for over a year now, as the economic downturn has changed my working habits quite a bit and I now have to look for jobs to fill in where my regular clients have wound down their activities. Some clients are actively translating fewer documents, and many agencies are getting cheap (usually non-native) translations then looking for professional reviewers/proofers.
Yesterday one client sent me 1800 words, which kept me happy for a couple of hours, and this morning I had to translate about 50 words for the same client - this is neither good, bad or average, it's just the way it goes. ("nor" somehow looks odd in that last sentence, maybe it's just me...)

If I got 2000 words to translate every day I'd be happy with that... so I suppose a 2K job every day from Monday to Friday would be a good/average rate, i. e. 10K a week, but it makes no difference whether it's one 10K job or five 2K jobs.

Also, if I go for 3 days without any work coming in, I too start to get worried, but something always turns up in the end...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many jobs do you get in an average good week?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »