https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/174976-poll_generally_do_you_apply_discounts_for_repetitions_in_the_source_text.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Generally, do you apply discounts for repetitions in the source text?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 7, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Generally, do you apply discounts for repetitions in the source text?".

View the poll results »

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:46
German to French
+ ...
Other Jul 7, 2010

Yes, only if I use a CAT tool (of course!!!!!) AND only if the client has required so.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Jul 7, 2010

Why is "sometimes" not on the list?
I apply discounts if there are really MANY repetitions, for example when I receive a series of related texts.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:46
German to English
+ ...
Ditto Jul 7, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Yes, only if I use a CAT tool (of course!!!!!) AND only if the client has required so.

Yes, the sometimes option is lacking!

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Only when explicitly asked Jul 7, 2010

And even then, if the project is not particularly attractive, I might refuse or renegotiate the discounted price. The point of investing in CAT is defeated if its benefits are 'cancelled out' by discounts.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 7, 2010

Not usually.
I did give a client a discount last week though (10% on some docs, 15% on another), because the texts were quite repetitive, and this is a long-standing clent who has provided me with a lot of work over the years as well as recommending me to others.
Normally my rates are low-average for my area of Spain (8 cents/wd, calculated by MS Office wordcount) so any discounts I allow are purely discretional.
Agencies asking clients for 11+ cents a word can afford to offer
... See more
Not usually.
I did give a client a discount last week though (10% on some docs, 15% on another), because the texts were quite repetitive, and this is a long-standing clent who has provided me with a lot of work over the years as well as recommending me to others.
Normally my rates are low-average for my area of Spain (8 cents/wd, calculated by MS Office wordcount) so any discounts I allow are purely discretional.
Agencies asking clients for 11+ cents a word can afford to offer rep discounts, but usually I can't...
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Other - sometimes Jul 7, 2010

Only if there are a lot of repetitions. And if the source files are huge (not on 300 or 1000 words). It all depends of the time I am going to spend. I can even imagine discounts on PDF source files because copy&paste saves lots of time, and clients know that. Once I had several dozens of highly repetitive food descriptions (ingredients): I made one basic table in a Word file and extracted it each time, and then modified and deleted the parts which weren't applicable. It seemed to me that countin... See more
Only if there are a lot of repetitions. And if the source files are huge (not on 300 or 1000 words). It all depends of the time I am going to spend. I can even imagine discounts on PDF source files because copy&paste saves lots of time, and clients know that. Once I had several dozens of highly repetitive food descriptions (ingredients): I made one basic table in a Word file and extracted it each time, and then modified and deleted the parts which weren't applicable. It seemed to me that counting the whole wordcount was cheating the client. I didn't work on an hourly basis either because I am too fast in manipulating files, so I calculated a discount.Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Ditto Jul 7, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Other Jul 7, 2010

I did use to offer a discount for repetitions (I always use a CAT tool) but now I only give a discount if client explicitly asks for it.
Minna

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Hate giving these discounts Jul 7, 2010

I agree that giving these discounts seems to defeat the object of having a CAT tool in the first place. However, more and more agencies and their clients are demanding them, so sometimes it's a case of agreeing to a discount or not doing the work and risk having nothing to do instead. However, there are discounts and daylight robbery. I was offered a largish project and told the agency only paid 25% for all fuzzy matches. That's only a quarter of the usual rate for 50%-99%, which is plain ridicu... See more
I agree that giving these discounts seems to defeat the object of having a CAT tool in the first place. However, more and more agencies and their clients are demanding them, so sometimes it's a case of agreeing to a discount or not doing the work and risk having nothing to do instead. However, there are discounts and daylight robbery. I was offered a largish project and told the agency only paid 25% for all fuzzy matches. That's only a quarter of the usual rate for 50%-99%, which is plain ridiculous. A lot of the 50%-84% matches can hardly be used and need to be totally rewritten, so if I had accepted that job, I would have been paid a pittance for translating sentences from scratch.

I have agreed to discounts where I get paid 25% for reps and 100% matches, and if I like the client I sometimes throw in 95%-99% too. The rest has been paid the full rate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think these discounts are becoming inevitable, but don't let agencies and clients walk all over you by agreeing to silly prices for fuzzy matches.
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
no CAT tools Jul 7, 2010

I do not use them

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:46
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, but I have... Jul 7, 2010

No and I don't work for agenices or on projects that require it. As a rule I don't give discounts and I don't provide TMs unless the client has provided me with their own useful and accurate TM. I also have one client, who was one of my first clients, who provided me with a license [and updates] and compensated me for training to learn their software and each project with them, I agree a project rate which does involve a discount for reps. But I have learned that this client is an exceptional ... See more
No and I don't work for agenices or on projects that require it. As a rule I don't give discounts and I don't provide TMs unless the client has provided me with their own useful and accurate TM. I also have one client, who was one of my first clients, who provided me with a license [and updates] and compensated me for training to learn their software and each project with them, I agree a project rate which does involve a discount for reps. But I have learned that this client is an exceptional case, unfortunately.

I have occassionally agreed to a slightly lower rate per word for technical projects, manuals, etc and tender documents which are extremely repeating. Also I might agree a slightly lower rate for standard legal documents, [disclaimers, articles of association, leasing contracts, etc for which I have extensive TMs and/or templates]

There is a great deal of work and lots of very different clients in the market and we are free to pick choose our own clients from that pool on our own criteria. Currently for me there is no sound business case as to why I should give such a discount for using software that I have paid for and learned to use at my own expense.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Possible business case for discounts Jul 7, 2010

DianeGM wrote:

Currently for me there is no sound business case as to why I should give such a discount for using software that I have paid for and learned to use at my own expense.

Γειά σου Νταϊάνα.

I would agree that sliding-scale discounts are time-consuming to administer and rather too complicated for the average direct client to be bothered understanding. That said, a "no change, no charge" policy for 100% matches and repetitions from past jobs can be a useful way of generating direct client loyalty, particularly if you demand ambitiously high rates.

Once clients are satisfied with the standard of your work, the discount can help to lock them in.

"No change, no charge" also means clients can send an entire updated document (the same wine profiles, for example, tend to come back to me every year with very few alterations) but will only have to pay for the changes that have been made. A lot depends on your client portfolio and range of text types, though.

Χαιρετίσματα από την Ιταλία,

Giles

Joy Phillips
Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Dutch to English
No discounts except based on a TM provided by a reliable client - if asked Jul 7, 2010

If a regular client sends me an up-to-date and accurate TM and explicitly asks for a discount on repetitions or 100% matches, fine. If not, then I do not offer discounts. With the type of texts I translate, I generally still need to check the repetitions to see whether it's appropriate to the context, even if the source text is identical. The more creative the translation needs to be, the less relevant the repetition factor becomes.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually not Jul 8, 2010

Many times it takes the judgment, experience, and special skill of a translator to determine whether a "match" really is one. So in principle I don't buy the notion that the software and the client are entitled to call the shots.

However, when large chunks are repeated over and over again, I have been known to _offer_ a discount, which builds good will.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Generally, do you apply discounts for repetitions in the source text?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »