Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you accept rush jobs (to be delivered within hours)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 12, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you accept rush jobs (to be delivered within hours)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Terejimenez. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:15
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Jul 12, 2010

but only from my regular customers

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:45
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Yes Jul 12, 2010

Only for my regular customers on routine terms or those who are ready to make an immediate payment at the rates quoted. Strict no-no to anyone else. I avoid all those who may default at such times, in the future.

[Edited at 2010-07-12 10:27 GMT]

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quick and cheap Jul 12, 2010

In my experience, it seems that the shorter the deadline imposed by an agency, then the lower the rate offered.

This is curious because the opposite is generally true in most businesses.

I suppose these project managers are under constant pressure to cut turnaround times in order to compensate for their small operating margins. Poor quality is the invariable result.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, but Jul 12, 2010

only for my regular clients.

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:45
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Poor quality may not be the invariable result. Jul 12, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

Poor quality is the invariable result.

Former could be true to a certain extent but I would not completely agree that poor quality is the "invariable" result as long as the translator is confident of not compromising his/her reputation while accepting the deadline and the rates offered.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Yes Jul 12, 2010

Only if I have capacity, of course, and for regular customers.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If they pay me enough Jul 12, 2010

They have to make it worth my while. If I have to shift gears and work under pressure, I want to be paid for the extra trouble.

But the truth is that short rush jobs are seldom a good deal. Most jobs that can be done in a couple of hours are not very large, so regardless of the rate, they won't pay all that much.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, if the client has a good BB record Jul 12, 2010

I have found several really good clients this way.

If an agency is in a spot because none of their regular translators has time, then they are grateful for anyone who can help them out.
I try to show that I treat all jobs professionally and deliver the best possible quality in the time... and they remember me when they are less rushed as well. I have worked for some super agencies that way, who really do their best to secure reasonable deadlines when they can.

I h
... See more
I have found several really good clients this way.

If an agency is in a spot because none of their regular translators has time, then they are grateful for anyone who can help them out.
I try to show that I treat all jobs professionally and deliver the best possible quality in the time... and they remember me when they are less rushed as well. I have worked for some super agencies that way, who really do their best to secure reasonable deadlines when they can.

I have no small children or family like that to attend to. My husband is just about retired and something of a workaholic himself, so he deals with supper, coffee and other necessities of life until we can organise a real break.

Regular clients sometimes book me on the lines of "We will have a rushed job in a couple of days - will you reserve time for it?"

This may give me an extra hour, or I can prepare in advance, so quality does not suffer unnecessarily.

But if I suspect the client is just badly organised, or get that impression later, I do not make any great efforts to help them out more than once.

Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but Jul 12, 2010

only for my regular clients!

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 22:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes Jul 12, 2010

If possible, for regular or reliable clients.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
With so many others here: Jul 12, 2010

Only for my regular clients.

Occassionally, during tech fairs/Messen, my clients will contact me before hand so that they can translate press releases during the fair. Since I'm generally 5 hours behind Europe, they can send me a file at their EOB, which I receive in my late morning to translate during my working day. They have it first thing in their morning, and the end client is extrememly happy with the turnaround time.

OTOH, I do NOT accept jobs on my Friday af
... See more
Only for my regular clients.

Occassionally, during tech fairs/Messen, my clients will contact me before hand so that they can translate press releases during the fair. Since I'm generally 5 hours behind Europe, they can send me a file at their EOB, which I receive in my late morning to translate during my working day. They have it first thing in their morning, and the end client is extrememly happy with the turnaround time.

OTOH, I do NOT accept jobs on my Friday afternoon due for someone else's Monday morning.
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 11:15
Why not? Jul 12, 2010

As long as my capacity allows me.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
English to German
same here Jul 12, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Only if I have capacity, of course, and for regular customers.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Every working day Jul 12, 2010

For the past seven years, I've been translating one or two articles every working day (Monday to Friday) for the Corriere della Sera, turning 400-2,000 words around in a few hours. It's very interesting work although it does mean that other clients have to wait at least until the next working day for their urgent jobs.

I imagine that other translators who have news services as clients
... See more
For the past seven years, I've been translating one or two articles every working day (Monday to Friday) for the Corriere della Sera, turning 400-2,000 words around in a few hours. It's very interesting work although it does mean that other clients have to wait at least until the next working day for their urgent jobs.

I imagine that other translators who have news services as clients will be doing much the same sort of thing.

Giles
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you accept rush jobs (to be delivered within hours)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »