Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: To me, researching the subject I'm working on is...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "To me, researching the subject I'm working on is...".

View the poll results »

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 05:48
English to French
+ ...
Always interesting Jul 16, 2010

At least enjoyable, fascinating at best, depending on the subject.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Ditto. Jul 16, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
here as well Jul 16, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
French to English
+ ...
Didn't we have this very same poll recently?! Jul 16, 2010

...but my answer is enjoyable. I wouldn't accept the work if I had no interest in the subject.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vital Jul 16, 2010

It is very unusual for me not to have to carry out research, even if only to check to see there have been no changes.

And very often, what seems a little uninteresting at first becomes fascinating. The enjoyment of finding results may be hampered by early frustration though!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Same poll in January Jul 16, 2010

Claire Cox wrote:

Didn't we have this very same poll recently?!.

Yes, see
http://www.proz.com/polls/8552

Dolors Selis
Dolors Selis  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Fascinating Jul 16, 2010

One of the things I love the most about our job is that you can never give any thing for granted, and least previous knowledge. On the other hand, as with children and new food, dislike usually comes from prejudice and sometimes from the lack of knowledge.

Translating on any subject, specially those that are not your speciality, gives me the chance of trying (learning) something new and when I finish I feel the the experience was worth it.

Even if I don't translate abo
... See more
One of the things I love the most about our job is that you can never give any thing for granted, and least previous knowledge. On the other hand, as with children and new food, dislike usually comes from prejudice and sometimes from the lack of knowledge.

Translating on any subject, specially those that are not your speciality, gives me the chance of trying (learning) something new and when I finish I feel the the experience was worth it.

Even if I don't translate about this subject again, some of the acquired knowledge remains
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
My preference Jul 16, 2010

I'd prefer just to know it without having to do research. In fact I probably don't do research as such, rather when I'm looking for terms I read a bit of the document I find it in. I look up definitions a lot. And I use the Internet a lot to craft good sentences.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here as well Jul 16, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

That is one of the things I like most about translating: the need to research and learn!

[Edited at 2010-07-16 10:02 GMT]

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Jul 16, 2010

For me one of the real perks of our profession

Interlangue wrote:

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Enjoyable Jul 16, 2010

... usually, although some thematic areas are more interesting (or perhaps useful personally) than others.
I've been translating a veterinary course and some of the tips in it came in handy as I have really been acquired by a muttley mongrel.
I was also able to give some advice to while a friend (not a cat person) who had agreed to look after her friends' cat for 6 months while they were away for 6 months and was having a terrible time handling the kitty's behaviour in its new surro
... See more
... usually, although some thematic areas are more interesting (or perhaps useful personally) than others.
I've been translating a veterinary course and some of the tips in it came in handy as I have really been acquired by a muttley mongrel.
I was also able to give some advice to while a friend (not a cat person) who had agreed to look after her friends' cat for 6 months while they were away for 6 months and was having a terrible time handling the kitty's behaviour in its new surroundings.
Then I recently did some work for a member of the medical team treating my liver condition, which was very enlightening too, though not always too reassuring....
Basically I am interested in most things I have to research, and often come across things in my work which give me ideas for questions for the pub quiz I run in a pub on Sundays from September to June.
I can never understand people whose reaction when finding out I'm a translator is "but isn't it boring?" To me, boring is as boring does...

Maybe my understanding of "research" is wrong; to me the comment posted by Tatty "when I'm looking for terms I read a bit of the document I find it in. I look up definitions a lot.." ... defines what I call "research" in this context.

[Edited at 2010-07-16 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
definitely Jul 16, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

it is not enjoyable only when you have no time and you hope the translation goes as smoothly as possibile

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Enjoy it but... Jul 16, 2010

I enjoy researching subjects but, because I’m highly curious, it can sometimes be a drawback. I find myself reading so much on the subject that I don’t get all the work done that I could (or should). I console myself by thinking that the time spent boning up on the subject is an investment in future translations.

Zbyněk Táborský
Zbyněk Táborský  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
To me... Jul 16, 2010

it is absolutely fascinating to discover new and new things each day I translate, that's why I love this profession, you can learn new and new things and matters and earn money at the same time

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To me, researching the subject I'm working on is...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »