Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you tidy your desk/workspace?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:07
SITE STAFF
Jul 19, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you tidy your desk/workspace?".

This poll was originally submitted by Roberta Anderson. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 03:07
English to French
+ ...
Other Jul 19, 2010

All things related to a specific job are cleared at the end of that job... so it's never tidy -the next job is waiting-, except when I have/take the time to clean it thoroughly and/or leave on a holiday.

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Brutally honest Jul 19, 2010

If I write this down like a confession, I will have to do something about it...

I have to clear my desk occasionally because it is needed by someone else, but my cubby hole, where everything gets stashed, is a disaster area. And I didn't clear that out last summer, but moved onto a supplementary one instead. Now I have started clearing out the first one, and it's quite liberating, since if I haven't needed any of that stuff all year, then I can probably safely chuck it out. (I am so reluctant to throw things away in case they might be useful in the future that I have been known to rescue them from the bin after repenting at having thrown them away in the first place). At the moment I have taken several boxes of paper out to be recycled, the table is covered in teetering piles of semi-classified stuff - and the cubby hole is still only half empty.

Having bared all, I shall now go and carry on with that task.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mmmm... Jul 19, 2010

Is it OK if I decline to comment?

Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
At the end of each working day Jul 19, 2010

Cleaning the desk is a a nice way to round off the day, and a routine that makes it possible to be met by a tidy work area the next morning. A dusty desk filled with paper, empty teacups, open books and a browning banana skin is just too much for me early in the morning. A bit of tidiness never hurts.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
ehm Jul 19, 2010

Do you really need to know it, or I can hide for a while and think about it?

let's put it this way. everything is piled up in a very tidy mountain

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hmmm, other...sort of... Jul 19, 2010

I don't really have a "workspace." I translate sitting on my bed, and have gotten so used to it that I don't like sitting up at a desk or table any more. I have a laptop, so it works out fine. And I really don't have any "stuff" to make clutter, since I don't use paper, and I only have two paper dictionaries.

I cracked up at "when I can't move the mouse around any more" -- ha!

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:07
Member (2009)
French to English
When it is time Jul 19, 2010

I admit this roughly corresponds to "when I can't move the mouse," but it is most directly related to a feeling of "I just can't take this anymore!" I am honestly there right now, but I have so much work, I cannot take the half-day to do a complete desk rearrangement. I am having overheating issues with my laptop that are related to getting a monitor stand which has itself solved a lot of problems. Now I am waiting for a clear space with no work so I can remove everything from my desk, unearth the laptop from underneath the stand, put the drawer back in the stand(removed as a temporary fix for the overheating), and dust everything. Then, I will tackle 'my corner' in which I chuck less frequently needed dictionaries, unpack the box from the last big desk move (about a year ago), and the angels will sing, the heavens will open, and there will be peace on earth.

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
In between jobs Jul 19, 2010

There's something cathartic about decluttering your workspace before tackling a new project and soon after finishing the previous one, particularly when both projects are large-ish.

Mirella

Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
As I go along... Jul 19, 2010

so it's never really tidy. But never in chaos either. I usually know where to find things, so I guess that's tidy to me, even if it doesn't necessarily look that way to others. (c:

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
the world is just too interesting to be tidy Jul 19, 2010

The main problem is that I am a magpie for interesting stuff, so as well as all my work materials I always have piles of newspaper cuttings, articles, pictures, ideas I've written down, most of which defy classification. The inside of my computer must look the same, but the system forces a certain amount of classification on me, and I can't see it all at once like I can in the real world.

I moved house last December, which forced me to tidy my tiny office properly for the first time in four years - and I chucked lots of stuff away. I have now managed to replicate the disorganised chaos of my old office in my new everso slightly larger one. It must mean I feel safe thus way. I know where everything is, honest!

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 22:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never Jul 19, 2010

Three reasons:

I reckon a tidy desk is a sign that the occupant hasn’t got enough work to do.

I know for a fact that if I tidied my desk I would never be able to find anything.

I fail to see any virtue in wasting time ‘tidying’ a workplace to make it less efficient as a place to do work.

The last time my desk was 'empty' was when I moved house. And even then, I carefully stored each pile of stuff in a separate, labelled, box so that, on arrival at destination, I could restore each item to its original place on my desk, ready for instant random-access retrieval as before.

MediaMatrix

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Being able to move your mouse around is important Jul 19, 2010

Which is why I bought a smaller mouse.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
Ditto Jul 19, 2010

Amy Duncan wrote:

I don't really have a "workspace." I translate sitting on my bed, and have gotten so used to it that I don't like sitting up at a desk or table any more. I have a laptop, so it works out fine. And I really don't have any "stuff" to make clutter, since I don't use paper, and I only have two paper dictionaries.

I cracked up at "when I can't move the mouse around any more" -- ha!

Except I sit on the sofa!

yonedatransterp
Japanese to English
+ ...
Or you get a trackball. Jul 19, 2010

I do try to keep the workspace neat, but it doesn't seem to stick.

Instead of getting a smaller mouse, get a trackball! (causes less RSI issues) and has a smaller workspace requirement! Clutter away!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you tidy your desk/workspace?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search