Poll: Which do you think is the most beneficial aspect of attending a translation industry conference?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:51
SITE STAFF
Jul 23, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which do you think is the most beneficial aspect of attending a translation industry conference?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 12:51
English to French
+ ...
Several of the above Jul 23, 2010

Networking, having fun, learning the most unexpected things (not always in the official parts of a conference), socializing.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Ditto Jul 23, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

Networking, having fun, learning the most unexpected things (not always in the official parts of a conference), socializing.

Adam Jarczyk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Getting additional international exposure Jul 23, 2010

Conferences are points to meet individuals proficient and interested in similar matters as you yourself. Aside of making new contacts/friends and networking, participation in conference events allows you to gain insights from colleagues and share your very own, plus - if the program is strong - makes you aware of new developments in the trade and more. So there is for sure a whole package of benefits to gain.

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Do virtual conferences count? Jul 23, 2010

They were useless for networking, but I did listen to a number of seminars and learned quite a bit.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meeting colleagues Jul 24, 2010

I guess you could call it 'networking', but just the social aspect, not in the business sense. Since translation is such a lonely profession, I really enjoy simply meeting kindred spirits - not in the sense of promoting my business. I promote my business through ProZ and my website and client word-of-mouth. It's not fair or reasonable to expect a colleague to have confidence in my work based on an encounter at a conference.

gad
United States
Local time: 06:51
French to English
Networking Jul 29, 2010

...is by far the most beneficial aspect of attending a translation industry conference or seminar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which do you think is the most beneficial aspect of attending a translation industry conference?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search