Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When I'm working, I always have within reach
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 31, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I'm working, I always have within reach".

View the poll results »

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 16:13
English to French
+ ...
Other Jul 31, 2010

Several of the above: tea + pen and paper in the morning; water + pen and paper in the afternoon.
As I work only in my office, my favorite dictionaries, a flash drive and a second pair of glasses are always close at hand.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
combination Jul 31, 2010

My set includes a cup of coffee/tea, a pair of stronger glasses for reading small font, a mobile phone for accepting urgent jobs and discussions with clients and a flash drive for backup. There used to be a pack of cigarettes but fortunately I quit.

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Other Jul 31, 2010

My Filofax and a pen + tissues, hand cream, nail file.

As well as many unnecessary stuff that have accumulated on my desk over months....

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My favorite dictionnaries, Jul 31, 2010

my mobile, my filofax, pen and paper...

Karin Hinsch
Karin Hinsch  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Several things Jul 31, 2010

My mobile phone, a mug of coffee, pen and paper, my filofax, a flash drive ...

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I voted Other Jul 31, 2010

Several items are always within reach: water, pen and paper, calculator, flash drive.
And thanks to Minna for reminding me: yes, handcream is always within reach now that I've found one that doesn't make hands greasy and allows to continue typing straight away!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 31, 2010

i.e. all of the above except for coffee cups or cigarettes, as my keyboard is filthy enough already without adding food splashes or ash. Which reminds me, I should look for a keyboard cleaning service, if such a thing exists.
I do always have a bottle of water handy though ...
And a magnifying glass too, for otherwise indecpiherable PDFs...

[Edited at 2010-07-31 10:00 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
QWERTY tummy Jul 31, 2010

neilmac wrote:

i.e. all of the above except for coffee cups or cigarettes, as my keyboard is filthy enough already without adding food splashes or ash. Which reminds me, I should look for a keyboard cleaning service, if such a thing exists.

Don't know anything about a keyboard cleaning service, Neil, but take a look at this:

qwerty tummy
n. A stomach illness caused by typing on a germ-ridden keyboard. Also: QWERTY tummy.

Example Citations:
One common bug that researchers have turned up is staphylococcus aureus, a classic causer of food poisoning, signs of which include nausea and diarrhea. Accordingly, stomach sicknesses caught from computer equipment have been dubbed "qwerty tummy" after the "Q-W-E-R-T-Y" keys on a keyboard.
—"Your keyboard can give you food poisoning," MSNBC.com, July 2, 2010

No one wants to have to look at a dirty keyboard. Too often, people don't bother to wash their hands after eating or using the restroom. Not only is this unhealthy for you in many ways...it can also end up causing you to fall ill with QWERTY Sickness.
—Chris Pirillo, "A Cleaning a Day Will Keep the QWERTY Tummy Away," Chris.Pirillo.com, July 3, 2010

Earliest Citation:
Many users are at risk of becoming ill with stomach bugs, according to the consumer group Which? It warned that 'qwerty tummy', named after the first six letters on a keyboard, could sweep through workplaces after tests on equipment in its own London offices showed alarming results.
—Sean Poulter, "How your computer keyboard is FIVE TIMES dirtier than your toilet seat — and could even give you 'qwerty tummy'," Daily Mail, May 1, 2008

http://www.wordspy.com/words/qwertytummy.asp

(By the way, Word Spy is a great way to keep up with neologisms.)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Several of the above Jul 31, 2010

Coffee, dictionaries and reference books depending on subject field and language pair, pencil and paper plus glasses and hand magnifier all being quite indispensible. Not all my dictionaries are on-line or CD.

No cigarettes - I decided at an early age that I could not afford them and would not miss them.

I have to go out into the kitchen and fetch a clean damp cloth or wipe now and then - I DO clean my screen and keyboard at intervals and vaccuum the dust out.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:13
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
pretty much all of those Jul 31, 2010

except the cigarette....long since out of my life. And coffee really only first thing....i don't drink coffee at night so if i'm working at night, no coffee.
I just replaced my keyboard which is nice and clean!

Murad AWAD
Murad AWAD  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...

All of them except cigarettes Jul 31, 2010

All of the mentioned options except cigarettes, I hate the smell of cigarettes.

C. Mouton
C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
mine is a bit special Jul 31, 2010

Oh, like all of you, I do have, tea, pen, paper, telephone, etc.

But since I work at home, I have a special luxury item: my cat's basket!

Purr-therapy being the best I know against stress at work, I do use and abuse the luxury of having a sleeping cat just nearby, to put my nose in its hair every 2 hours or so.

You should try, really...
See more
Oh, like all of you, I do have, tea, pen, paper, telephone, etc.

But since I work at home, I have a special luxury item: my cat's basket!

Purr-therapy being the best I know against stress at work, I do use and abuse the luxury of having a sleeping cat just nearby, to put my nose in its hair every 2 hours or so.

You should try, really
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:13
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Paper and pen Jul 31, 2010

I need them to build up glossaries about the text I'm translating. Then, I pass the words to an Excel file.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:13
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Other Jul 31, 2010

"Mate", my faithful companion

If you're unfamiliar with the traditional Rio de la Plata beverage you can check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

[Edited at 2010-07-31 13:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I'm working, I always have within reach

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »