Poll: How long did it take you to establish your business on a solid basis?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:21
SITE STAFF
Aug 5, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long did it take you to establish your business on a solid basis?".

This poll was originally submitted by Leinung. View the poll results »

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Aug 5, 2010

Unfortunately, no "solid base" is forever.

Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:21
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Too long Aug 5, 2010

I would say it took about 2 years. The silly thing is that after becoming a full Proz-member it took less than 6 months and the clients I got through Proz are my favourite clients. If I would start over again I would have become a full Proz-member as soon as I felt confident with Trados and I could have gotten my solid base much earlier...

/Maria

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
German to English
+ ...
> 6 months Aug 5, 2010

I started out doing a 'proper job' on a fairly casual basis and accepting freelance work on the side. If work came in, I'd take time off work. It took just three months before I quit the day job to focus on freelance work and by a few months later my income was consistent enough that my then boyfriend gave up his day job too to set up his own business, making me the main bread-winner for a while.

Thirteen years later and both business are still going strong.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too Low Aug 5, 2010

The range established for this poll is too low. Maximum only 2 years? It took me 15 years to become established to the point I could consider my business "solid" and quit my "day job". Since then I have been going well for 24 years for a total of 39.

Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 11:21
English to French
+ ...
Generation gap? Aug 5, 2010

I'm with Henry: took me 5 years to get settled (and keep only a part time teaching schedule) and another 5 years before I was confident to earn enough to pay all bills and put an end to my teaching career.
I started before the age of computers - I imagine things are quicker now...

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Aug 5, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

I'm with Henry: took me 5 years to get settled (and keep only a part time teaching schedule) and another 5 years before I was confident to earn enough to pay all bills and put an end to my teaching career.
I started before the age of computers - I imagine things are quicker now...

I started out at about the same time as the Internet did. I had my first mobile phone in the same month as my first job.

Michaël Temmerman  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 03:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
1-2 yrs Aug 5, 2010

I started freelancing full time right away in 2005 and I was pretty busy all the time right from the start with hardly any days that I didn't have at least a small assignment, but it takes time to build a relationship with regular customers. After 2 years, I could really count on several customers keeping me busy all the time. I indeed think that it has become easier to get established now than it was let's say 15 years ago.

[Edited at 2010-08-05 20:27 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
about 1-2 Aug 6, 2010

years to get a solid client base that I could count on, but it never stops of course. Some have fallen by the wayside...but i'd say that it took about 2 years to get to the point where I could say 'established'.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less than 6 months Aug 6, 2010

BUT it doesn't really count. My previous employer set me up with a steady stream of work, and soon I was adding other clients. That was 18 years ago; today the proportion of volume from my previous employer is smaller, but it's still a steady stream.

Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Still got a 'day job' Aug 6, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:

The range established for this poll is too low. Maximum only 2 years? It took me 15 years to become established to the point I could consider my business "solid" and quit my "day job". Since then I have been going well for 24 years for a total of 39.

I am still not in a position to quit my 'day job' being the sole breadwinner of the family. I wonder at what point people just quit and go freelancing. It's not an easy decision to make when you have a family dependent on you. So I suppose I am yet to be 'established'.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long did it take you to establish your business on a solid basis?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search