Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If I finish a project in advance, I...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 11:43
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If I finish a project in advance, I...".

This poll was originally submitted by Susanna Martoni. View the poll results »

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

If I have no other work, I'll send it immediately to the client, but if I have other work to do for another client, I'll wait until the deadline and use the time to to such other work. I assume, this is a regular client, so he is likely to send me more work as soon as he receives this piece of work.

Vitali Stanisheuski
Belarus
Local time: 21:43
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

Usually, I deliver the project immediately. But if I feel tired, want some rest and guess that the same customer will immediately assign something new after delivery, then I may wait until the very deadline to deliver the job.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:43
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

I sit on it for a while, then check it again and send it back a little bit early!

Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:43
English to German
+ ...
Depends Aug 7, 2010

I made the experience that once you finish a job earlier and deliver it earlier, some customers expect that you will always work faster. Therefore, with some customers, I wait until approximately the time of delivery to actually deliver the translation.

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Immediately Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

I sit on it for a while, then check it again and send it back a little bit early!

I do not consider a job is "finished" and "ready to deliver" unless I slept over it and checked it again!

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:43
Italian to English
My approach too Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

though sometimes the actual timing will take Vitali's point (about having a break) into account as well.

Nigel Greenwood  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A mixture of both Aug 7, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Mary Worby wrote:

though sometimes the actual timing will take Vitali's point (about having a break) into account as well.

I usually take the time to revise it thoroughly and then send it, before the deadline, taking a well-deserved braek as wellicon_smile.gif

Nigel.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:43
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i like finishing and sending a bit early Aug 7, 2010

in case there are any changes or revisions. However, I make sure I take time to 'sleep on it' and make sure it's ok before i send it.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Earlier delivery = more work! Aug 7, 2010

The earlier I deliver my work, the sooner I get another job. Since I tend to get large assignments, I like getting the next one quickly. Early delivery can make a noticeable difference in my income.

Of course, I wouldn't deliver any work without reviewing it as carefully as I always do.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Ditto. Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
finish and send Aug 7, 2010

If I finish it earlier, check and send (obviously if I have no other translations on my desk/computer), otheriwise I'll forget it.

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
Member (2009)
French to English
Other Aug 7, 2010

I guess this depends on your definition of "finished," but if I have extra time, I would prefer to let the project rest and revise again. Yes, I might find some errors at this stage, but my main goal is to buff the translation so that it shines. Once it reaches the point where I cannot imagine that any change would improve the document, it is time to send it off. I prefer to return projects a half-day or even a few hours before the deadline to allow for any last minute glitches.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

I may revise it again and give it a polish.
Usually deadlines are tight, so any extra time is always welcome and even good quality texts can usually be enhanced somehow if you have the time...

bizisyl
Local time: 15:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
My preferred approach as well. Aug 7, 2010

Jenn Mercer wrote:

I guess this depends on your definition of "finished," but if I have extra time, I would prefer to let the project rest and revise again. Yes, I might find some errors at this stage, but my main goal is to buff the translation so that it shines. Once it reaches the point where I cannot imagine that any change would improve the document, it is time to send it off. I prefer to return projects a half-day or even a few hours before the deadline to allow for any last minute glitches.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If I finish a project in advance, I...

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search