Poll: What percentage of your clients require the use of CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 9, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your clients require the use of CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by Takako Shibuya. View the poll results »

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:05
German to French
+ ...
Hard to say Aug 9, 2010

But I chose 51%-75% because:
- about a half of them require it always
- only a couple of them never require it
- the others require it for some projects only

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 9, 2010

None of mine "require" the use of CAT tools.
I work in MS Word-compatible formats and use WordFast because it suits me.
I don't apply for jobs stipulating Trados. Am currently working for a client who uses Deja Vu (I can't think why, it looks cumbersome and pretty useless to me) but they send me the texts in RTF in 2 columns. The original is on the left and the column on the right contains what their TM barfs up, which is invariably useless, even comically so... I shudder to think w
... See more
None of mine "require" the use of CAT tools.
I work in MS Word-compatible formats and use WordFast because it suits me.
I don't apply for jobs stipulating Trados. Am currently working for a client who uses Deja Vu (I can't think why, it looks cumbersome and pretty useless to me) but they send me the texts in RTF in 2 columns. The original is on the left and the column on the right contains what their TM barfs up, which is invariably useless, even comically so... I shudder to think what their end product looks like by the time they finish tweaking it...
Another client asked me last week if I could revise texts in LaTex, but as I would need to download, install and learn to use the program, or at least an editing applet for it (there are several, so even choosing one would steal time from the process), it would not be worthwhile timewise for myself or the client. They agreed to send me the text in RTF.
Collapse

Richard Boulter
Richard Boulter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well-spoken, NeilMac! Aug 9, 2010

I don't use any TM's, as such; I just use my MSOffice suite, my experience and a string of glossaries that I've developed over the years. Like you, I simply don't apply on ads that 'require' Trados, since the reason for it is usually to nibble down the price of the translation. Regards!

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro and Classic cover most eventualities Aug 9, 2010

I use Wordfast Pro for all my translations, but the majority of my clients don't require the use of CAT tools.

I have one client who likes to receive the translations as Wordfast Classic documents, so I translate in Wordfast Pro then open the original document in Wordfast Classic and link to the TM I have generated. Most of the segments will then fill in automatically as I go through the document, when I also do my final check.

Several clients work with Trados. One send
... See more
I use Wordfast Pro for all my translations, but the majority of my clients don't require the use of CAT tools.

I have one client who likes to receive the translations as Wordfast Classic documents, so I translate in Wordfast Pro then open the original document in Wordfast Classic and link to the TM I have generated. Most of the segments will then fill in automatically as I go through the document, when I also do my final check.

Several clients work with Trados. One sends me TM files in TMX format. Another sends me TTX files, which the later versions of Wordfast Pro can open.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Not all Aug 9, 2010

of my customer specify the use of a CAT tool, but I always use one. And the issue about "nibbling down the price" is not applicable anyway, why should a customer pay 100% for a 100% match when it has already been paid for, I am sure you would not want to either - only speaking about my field.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
none Aug 9, 2010

none of the "requires" and as others said: I do not apply when I read Trados only, or Trados required.. I would like to be paid for everything I write/find after a long research, create and so on.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
0% Aug 9, 2010

Because I do not use CAT tools. What my clients require is first-class translation, and that is what I provide.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Member (2009)
French to English
Depends how you count it Aug 9, 2010

Most of my clients do not request the use of any CAT tool or a specific CAT tool, so by that measure I should choose one of the smaller percentages. But when I look at the percentage of work that I handle, over 75% requires the use of Trados. I have one major direct client, not an agency, that is quite insistent. The amount of work they have given me makes the cost of the CAT tool rather insignificant.

Julia Aidar
Julia Aidar  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Less than half Aug 9, 2010

of my clients will request CAT tools, but I use them for 99% percent of projects. The only time I do not use Wordfast is when I have non-editable originals (pdf, images or paper) that are too short or funky to be worth the trouble of OCR.

I find that it is most rewarding to use CAT tools exactly for those clients that do not ask for them, because there is no discount for repeats. With long-term clients there will often be lots of repeats and you can work much faster (and earn more,
... See more
of my clients will request CAT tools, but I use them for 99% percent of projects. The only time I do not use Wordfast is when I have non-editable originals (pdf, images or paper) that are too short or funky to be worth the trouble of OCR.

I find that it is most rewarding to use CAT tools exactly for those clients that do not ask for them, because there is no discount for repeats. With long-term clients there will often be lots of repeats and you can work much faster (and earn more, of course).

I completely disagree that requests for Trados or other CAT tools are mainly to cut the 100% matches. That is certainly one factor (and nothing wrong with it in my point of view), but quality and consistency control, as well as easy of review, seem much more important to me, especially in large, multi-language projects.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
0% Aug 10, 2010

If a potential client states that they require CAT tools, I don't work for them because I don't use CAT tools.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:05
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as Henry and Amy Aug 10, 2010

...and all the others who point out that no one can "require" it of me if I don't use it.

In fact, I have been approached by more than one client who stipulated that Trados was required but accepted my terms and pricing and allowed me to work without the tool.

Since I type and translate fast, make few spelling mistakes, and have a good memory for repetition, my production is more efficient than it would be with tools.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here. Aug 10, 2010

I don't use CAT tools.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your clients require the use of CAT tools?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »