Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long can you live without Internet access before showing the first withdrawal symptoms?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 11, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long can you live without Internet access before showing the first withdrawal symptoms?".

This poll was originally submitted by Takako Shibuya. View the poll results »

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:42
German to French
+ ...
Several weeks Aug 11, 2010

Sure, I'm an Internet addict and when I work, I'm always connected. But when I'm on holiday, I live without Internet very well. The maximum leave I've taken in a row over the last years is 3 weeks, but I guess if I took a longer leave, my Internet-free "record" would also be longer.

[Modifié le 2010-08-11 08:27 GMT]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other Aug 11, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Sure, I'm an Internet addict and when I work, I'm always connected. But when I'm on holiday, I live without Internet very well. The maximum leave I've taken in a row over the last years is 3 weeks, but I guess if I took a longer leave, my Internet-free "record" would also be longer.

[Modifié le 2010-08-11 08:27 GMT]

Another addict here, while working. When doing something else, I can quite easily live without it!

Marjolein Keyer
Marjolein Keyer  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends if I'm working Aug 11, 2010

With Sophie and Interlangue. I try to avoid computers and internet altogether when I'm not working.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Depends what I'm doing Aug 11, 2010

As everyone else has said so far, it depends what I'm doing.

If I'm meant to be working, or if there are things to organize and people to contact, I don't like to be without the internet for more than a few hours.

However, I voted "more than a week" as I was camping for 10 days just recently and there were no withdrawal symptoms, just a blissful sense of relief. This made me think that I should perhaps try to include more "offline" moments in my everyday life. But tha
... See more
As everyone else has said so far, it depends what I'm doing.

If I'm meant to be working, or if there are things to organize and people to contact, I don't like to be without the internet for more than a few hours.

However, I voted "more than a week" as I was camping for 10 days just recently and there were no withdrawal symptoms, just a blissful sense of relief. This made me think that I should perhaps try to include more "offline" moments in my everyday life. But that is easier said than done.
Collapse

Carla Lopes
Carla Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:42
Member (2008)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Great topic! Aug 11, 2010

This is a very amusant question! I really get awfully nervous if I don't have Internet access.

Thanks!

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I voted 1-6 hours Aug 11, 2010

But there are times when I get twitchy after less than an hour. But it all depends. If I lose Internet access during the working day, it's a catastrophe. Over the weekend and on holiday, I have been known to survive for a whole day (but do have my e-mails sent to my phone!)

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
I voted less than 1 h Aug 11, 2010

I don't go near my computer when I'm not working, so I have no problems living without Internet access.
But I have to know it's there.
On the one occasion my Internet provider had problems, I almost lost my marbles!

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
depends what I am doing Aug 11, 2010

I am with most of you... when at home and near my office, I get itchy very quickly without internet access. It's also very convenient just to look things up.
On the other hand, I just spent 3 weeks on vacation without internet access and was quite happy with it.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:42
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
1-6 hours Aug 11, 2010

The first hour or so is OK, I can live without it. It's a chance to catch up on something ELSE, preferably away from the computer, but after SIX hours - it's like having a body part missing.

I'm not implying that I couldn't live the rest of my days without the Internet, because I probably could, but I think you understand what I'm saying... I'm so accustomed to it now.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
> 1 week Aug 11, 2010

Can live without it when I'm away on holiday.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not long Aug 11, 2010

... if I'm working, as it is crucial.
I don't think "addiction" is the right term - perhaps "reliance" would be less tabloid...
All my contacts with clients are by email, and all my jobs are sent by email too. If a have a service outage (which happens quite often in my area) I have to physically go and find a cybercafe to check my mails, which is not easy - sometimes the nearest one open is over 30 minutes away.
I've tried using a Vodafone dongle in emergencies, which works,
... See more
... if I'm working, as it is crucial.
I don't think "addiction" is the right term - perhaps "reliance" would be less tabloid...
All my contacts with clients are by email, and all my jobs are sent by email too. If a have a service outage (which happens quite often in my area) I have to physically go and find a cybercafe to check my mails, which is not easy - sometimes the nearest one open is over 30 minutes away.
I've tried using a Vodafone dongle in emergencies, which works, but it's really expensive because you need to charge it with credit and even if you only need it for ten minutes in a month, the rest of the unused credit vanishes at the end of the month.
I can exist quite happily without internet when I'm not working though (although I'm usually working most of the time).
Collapse

Anna Katikhina
Anna Katikhina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:42
English to Russian
+ ...
a week! Aug 11, 2010

as long as i don't have to work

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:42
English to Russian
+ ...
Well-balanced Aug 11, 2010

Always on-line when working and nearly always off-line when there is no need to surf the Internet for business purposes. Not an addict definitely.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
w/ Neilmac Aug 11, 2010

If I'm working, then interruptions are a real problem, as all of my work contacts are online.
However, we have a mobile hub for those times (my husband also works from the house, and also needs internet access for his work).

If, otoh, it's a weekend or I'm on vacation, then it's not that necessary. It's nice, but I don't *need* it in the since of an addiction. (I NEED coffee every day, so I think I can tell the difference on this one.)

This poll would probably h
... See more
If I'm working, then interruptions are a real problem, as all of my work contacts are online.
However, we have a mobile hub for those times (my husband also works from the house, and also needs internet access for his work).

If, otoh, it's a weekend or I'm on vacation, then it's not that necessary. It's nice, but I don't *need* it in the since of an addiction. (I NEED coffee every day, so I think I can tell the difference on this one.)

This poll would probably have a different set of answers if it had been narrowed to "on a working day, how long can you survive an internet outage before going bonkers..."
in which case my answer is less than 5 minutes
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long can you live without Internet access before showing the first withdrawal symptoms?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »