Poll: Have you ever found translation errors in your past projects/old TMs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 17:27
SITE STAFF
Aug 13, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever found translation errors in your past projects/old TMs?".

View the poll results »

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:27
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
just recently Aug 13, 2010

I had a mortifying experience....I went back to look at the english translation of a website I'd done.
It wasn't actually an error in translation. The translation was fine, but what happened was this: I had supplied the copy with the english translation highlighted under the french. But just before the highlighted section on one page, was a sentence fragment I had neglected to take out, so the webmaster put that in as well...

I was mortified about that sloppiness, but i also wondered why the webmaster didn't catch it before they put it in the website? I would have thought they'd have gone over it at least once. However, I did have a lot of problems with this client, a small marketing company who was doing the website for a spa. After I submitted the copy I didn't hear anything from them for weeks and it took a long time to see the english version on the website. Then I had to send them several payment reminders and the president was out of town. It took months to get paid. It's the only project I ever did for them. I may have messed up, but their whole operation was kind of sloppy.

However, I was still embarrassed!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 01:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No errors as such (all my work is proofread) Aug 13, 2010

but occasionally, if I have to go back to a translation for whatever reason, I do ask myself if I should have translated differently. Then I quickly put aside that idea and just go ahead with the work in progress...

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 18:27
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 13, 2010

I don't really find mistakes but things I have found a better translation for since then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever found translation errors in your past projects/old TMs?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search