Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What software/tools do you use for bookkeeping?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:25
Finnish to English
+ ...
Good post Sep 24, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

I sure don't want to be responsible for grumpiness here. Sorry if the wording can be misinterpreted.
But if it's done the wrong way, you can indeed end up with a messy (virtual) pile of PDFs, e-mail POs, Excel files, etc. It doesn't even have to be your own fault.. But some clients prefer to issue POs in Excel, some prefer to show them as HTML files, others send formal PDF POs, etc. The same continues with the invoices: some want them as PDFs, some want them via snail-mail, some want you to fill out a Webform, etc.

And if you tend to have many (smaller) jobs per month and if you don't find a way to organize this, you'll quickly have... a mess.

So, yes, ok, maybe there should have been another option called "A non-messy collection of..."

(And btw, I'm currently working with PDFs, Excel etc., myself and so far, I have returned all the special software tools I've evaluated.. I'm certainly not biased here..)

Good post. My own experience is the same. I have the same pile of virtual files. Lol..makes perfect sense to me but might be "messy" to someone else. I have long-term plans to move it to a relative database system as/when/if my volume of orders increases.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Messy Sep 24, 2010

Nielmac mentioned the thing about "the messier your desk or workspace, the more intelligent you are", so I must rank right up there with Einstein! In any case, I can do it all very easily with pen and paper, and come tax time, I do it all myself. It would be much more work, not to mention expensive, to use an accountant. Plus I would not trust an accountant to do it right and I would have to check through it all anyway. It just looks messy, but it's well under control.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two Os, two Ks, two Es. Sep 25, 2010

Bookkeeping is an amazing word. AFAIK, it (along with its derivatives) is the only word in the English language to have 3 consecutive pairs of double letters.

I'm not really grumpy at all--but I couldn't bring myself to check that option, because it doesn't fit. Most of my clients are here in Puerto Rico, heard about me via word-of-mouth, and are perfectly happy (as I am) to do business by email and telephone. I've almost never received a formal PO, and I haven't been stiffed since
... See more
Bookkeeping is an amazing word. AFAIK, it (along with its derivatives) is the only word in the English language to have 3 consecutive pairs of double letters.

I'm not really grumpy at all--but I couldn't bring myself to check that option, because it doesn't fit. Most of my clients are here in Puerto Rico, heard about me via word-of-mouth, and are perfectly happy (as I am) to do business by email and telephone. I've almost never received a formal PO, and I haven't been stiffed since 1997. The few PDFs I file are really unnecessary--they're usually notifications from my bank of a direct deposit payment.

At the end of the year I take my files to my tax man and that's that.

I know it's much more complicated for many of you. I sympathize. If I were 10 years younger I'd probably be looking into accounting software, but until/unless it becomes necessary, I'll stick to my nice, neat Word files. And no grumpiness.

Jane
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:25
Member (2006)
German to English
dito Sep 27, 2010

Interlangue wrote:

Outsourcing to a chartered accountant - except for invoices in xls.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 13:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Messy desk Sep 28, 2010

neilmac wrote:
I recently read an article that claimed that the messier your desk or workspace, the more intelligent you are, so any other slobs out there can take heart as I did!

[Edited at 2010-09-24 15:23 GMT]

Can I have a link to this article, please? I want to print it and tape it to my desk (if I can only find an empty space on it...)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What software/tools do you use for bookkeeping?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »